Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The physics in the original SMB are absolutely brilliant, but the controls were improved even further in the subsequent games.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The physics in the original SMB are absolutely brilliant, but the controls were improved even further in the subsequent games.

You mean Lost Levels? Because now that Popo has finished SMB, it's time for the real game to begin.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The physics in the original SMB are absolutely brilliant, but the controls were improved even further in the subsequent games.

You mean Lost Levels? Because now that Popo has finished SMB, it's time for the real game to begin.

Dude, fuck Lost Levels. At some point I'll get crazy and try to beat it on my copy of Mario All Stars, but until then it will stay in the "fuck that game" column.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Bro come to my house and you can play the FDS original in all its glory.

(and I had previously stated here that The Lost Levels was the only FDS game I knew of that lacked a save function. I was wrong. The game tallies up how many times it's been beaten, represented by "star" icons on the title screen. My copy, despite have previous owner(s) and being 29 years old, has zero stars.)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I could also stab myself with needles. It'd feel about as good.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Lost Levels is brutal. BRUTAL. I got to the last stage of it (at least I think it was), and got stuck pretty badly. Sadly, I've lost my save game on that cart, I've kinda wanted to go back and attempt it now that I've got a bit more skill.

(And I'm talking about the bonus worlds you get to by not warping, not 8-4.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Lost Levels is brutal. BRUTAL.

Is it as brutal as these?:

I've played (not beat) those and they are the most brutal platformers on NES I've tried.

I've never played Lost Levels btw.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I've never found The Lost Levels to be that difficult on the SNES. The controls are vastly improved compared to the FDS original, and the continue system is very forgiving. It's much easier than the likes of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda II, or Mega Man. Now the original version of The Lost Levels is just as hard as the aforementioned games, if not harder.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I know I sound like a broken record here, but I've never found The Lost Levels to be that difficult on the SNES. The controls are vastly improved compared to the FDS original, and the continue system is very forgiving. It's much easier than the likes of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda II, or Mega Man. Now the original version of The Lost Levels is just as hard as the aforementioned games, if not harder.

As someone who played the crap out of Mega Man, I disagree! But I think the approach to platforming design is very different in both. Mega Man doesn't require the break neck trial and error that I found worked in Lost Levels.

Now that I have beaten the "base" of Lost Levels, I want to go back some time and play through all of the individual levels to unlock the letter areas, just to say I've done it. But that will likely not happen for a while. That kind of gameplay just isn't for me.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I guess things are a little different for me, because Mega Man, in particular, is not a series that I find incredibly hard. Tricky at times, difficult sections, but not really that brutal. Well, except the first game, which is terribly unbalanced if you're not abusing the select-pause trick.

Although I guess I have to take some of it back, because I did make quite significant progress in Lost Levels until I hit a brick wall. But I've also legit-beaten Ninja Gaiden III, Battletoads, and Bayou Billy this year, so maybe I could pull it off now. I don't think I'd consider it "fun", though. I'd be doing it solely for the challenge.