Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:18 pm

J T wrote:I know a lot of people here don't like God of War because Kratos is such an asshole, but I played to the end of 1 and 2 and I loved them both.

I played through GOW and GOWII. I loved the games and hated Kratos. If he was not the protagonist, I would probably consider them among the very best games of their generation.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:27 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
J T wrote:I know a lot of people here don't like God of War because Kratos is such an asshole, but I played to the end of 1 and 2 and I loved them both.

I played through GOW and GOWII. I loved the games and hated Kratos. If he was not the protagonist, I would probably consider them among the very best games of their generation.

I don't see how you can't consider them amongst the best anyway.

I don't get most of the Kratos hate. He's a fairly cliche spartan warrior that is more or less in the mold of Odysseus crossed with Frank Miller, and he's out for vengeance against the gods that destroyed his life. Not sure what people want - he's certainly not a character with a ton of nuance and depth, but he's still better fleshed out than the vast majority of protagonists in games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 pm

dsheinem wrote:I don't see how you can't consider them amongst the best anyway.

A single, exceptionally annoying character prevents me from considering The Phantom Menace to be a good, enjoyable film; so, I there is no reason why another exceptionally annoying character should prevent me from considering the GOW games to be among the best of their generation. :lol:

Also, and while the GOW are polished and well-paced, I think that most of the gameplay in the GOW games is a bit uninspired. I also think that the games are too easy. (Basically, I think that the GOW games lean heavily a polished-up version of Rygar's simplistic combat mechanics, and that I think that combat in the Devil May Cry games is drastically more challenging and interesting.)

dsheinem wrote:I don't get most of the Kratos hate.

Everything about Kratos - from his idiotic attitude to his stupid, grunting goatee - is incredibly annoying. It is like he was birthed from a focus group composed solely of the ten dumbest middle-school dropouts who couldn't find their way to a mid-2000s Limp Bizkit concert. (In other words, I don't want his character-fleshed out. I want it to go away.) He quite literally ruins the GOW games for me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:58 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It is like he was birthed from a focus group composed solely of the ten dumbest middle-school dropouts who couldn't find their way to a mid-2000s Limp Bizkit concert.

:lol: :lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

dsheinem wrote:

Amongst the best mechanically, sure. Amongst the best in relation to story and character development, absolutely not. I think that, "The Best," in games is a combination of both criteria..... like Shenmue :wink:
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 pm

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:It is like he was birthed from a focus group composed solely of the ten dumbest middle-school dropouts who couldn't find their way to a mid-2000s Limp Bizkit concert.

:lol: :lol:

Even though I liked the game, that's a praiseworthy diss. :lol:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

Amongst the best mechanically, sure. Amongst the best in relation to story and character development, absolutely not. I think that, "The Best," in games is a combination of both criteria..... like Shenmue :wink:

I consider them amongst the best from a technical and aesthetic perspective...not from a mechanics and storytelling perspective.

Nice Shenmue troll, though :)
Ack

by Ack Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:25 pm

I loathed God of War when I played through it, but according to Ds, I'm also the only person who has ever acquired a glitchy copy. My version was a mess: I clipped through walls, got stuck in animations, had the game freeze, screwed up enemy spawns that were needed to continue playing, and so on...

The moral of the story is to take my opinion of God of War with a grain of salt. Though it is nice to be the 1% for once in my life.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm

GoW 1 blew its load on level 1. I played the next couple and was bored and decided not to pick it up (was playing a buddy's copy).

Weirdest moment at work was when one of my female Indian coworkers asked me if I had played the latest GoW; she'd just snagged it and was loving it (she's got the whole series).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:43 pm

I can understand why God of War is so adored by the masses, but to me it's a solid 6/10 title. Gameplay is technically competent, but the whole thing feels so generic. Much like Halo, it all comes off as being a "focus group game."

And Kratos blows.
Return to General Gaming