Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Someone seems to be enjoying the eShop recently. :wink:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Someone seems to be enjoying the eShop recently. :wink:

Its so awesome. (PSN's not too bad either.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I await the day you discover GOG.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I await the day you discover GOG.

Give me some time... :lol:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Damm64 wrote:1- Heavenly Sword (Ps3)
2- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
3- Sonic Generations (Ps3)
4- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
5- Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds (3DS)
6- Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
7- Pokemón Crystal (GBC)
8- Pokemón Fire Red (GBA)
9- Pokémon Y (3DS)*
10- Duke Nukem Forever (PS3)
11- New Super Mario Bros (DS)
12- Dishonored (PS3)
13- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
14- House of the dead overkill (Ps3)
15- The Evil Within (PS3)
16- Portal 2 (PS3)
17- Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
18- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
19- Adventure Time: Hey Ice king why did you steal our garbage? (3DS)
20- Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (PS3)
21- Darksiders 2 (PS3)
22- Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
23- Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3)
24- Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)
25- Dead Space 2 (PS3)
26- Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
27- Beyond two souls (Ps3)

I've played so much pokemon this year that i reached franchise fatigue even when i wanted to play the remake of gen 3 since it was announced. What i can say? Its pokemon, its nice to see the 3rd gen in a fresh look with the move upgrades from newer games also for better or for worse the history is more flesh out with more characters and more lines throw into... but since is pokemon the evil guys just end up realizing how evil they were and become good guys at the end. Not much else to say actually is a enjoyable and well done remake.

Now beyond two souls.... well...how do i put this... is lame. Any potential i felt on the first two hours of playing where crushed in the middle of the game. Since the game narrative jumps on time back and forth there's barely any context at what are you doing and why and when it actually has context is still dosen't make a lot of sense. I feel the biggest insult in the history is... well spoilers
When William Dafoe shoots himself at the end and INMEDIATLY hes reunited with his family.. sights... i have so MANY but so fucking many issues with this one scene alone i really hate that scene, it bring the game incredibly down to me... thats no fucking way to threat suicide it is insulting and it makes me sick
that plus that and the "multiple endings" have you heard a monologue by Ellen page and then press a button to choose a ending... two of them are "romantic" endings with pretty guys she had no chemistry with, one is alone and the other is spending the rest of her life with a group of friend she finds through the game (this one actually feel like the only decent ending). It varies a bit if you let die some characters but the chance is so tiny that it really dosen't matter. Also no matter what good ending you choose David Cage feels the need to push out a cutscene where clearly says "BUY BEYOND TWO SOULS 2!!!!!"

In theory heavy rain is better than this... how true is that?

I thought Heavy Rain was good for its time, but I have to ask, have you played Until Dawn? Seems like everyone who hated Beyond Two Souls (which I'll be trying out myself sometime very soon) or David Cage games in general love it. It's my favorite release of 2015 so far. I actually watched a lets play of Until Dawn that ended with one of the guys saying, "Don't ever buy another David Cage game again" after waxing poetic about how awesome Until Dawn was
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Gamerforlife wrote:I thought Heavy Rain was good for its time, but I have to ask, have you played Until Dawn? Seems like everyone who hated Beyond Two Souls (which I'll be trying out myself sometime very soon) or David Cage games in general love it. It's my favorite release of 2015 so far. I actually watched a lets play of Until Dawn that ended with one of the guys saying, "Don't ever buy another David Cage game again" after waxing poetic about how awesome Until Dawn was

I dont have a PS4 to play Until Dawn but from the review i saw it got my interest, the theme alone make's sound more interesting at least. Until dawn is not a David Cage game, history wise at least, so maybe that the reason of the that phrase.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES

From the future makers of Lunar and Grandia comes Faria, the game that Zelda II should have been (though it wouldn't have been quite as rough as Faria was). Faria is an action RPG that seems to be heavily inspired by Zelda, though it also takes some stuff from Dragon Quest.

You start off as a female soldier who wanders into the kingdom of Faria. The princess has been kidnapped and you must rescue her. When you do you get cheated out of being able to marry her because this is the 80s in Japan and such a thing is not done. But then a series of misfortunes continue to plague the kingdom, and it's up to you to fix them and eventually figure out why they are occurring. It's not terribly inspired, but few things were in those days.

One of the neat things about the game is that all the NPCs have animated portraits for when you talk to them. There are only 6 portraits shared amongst the generic NPCs, but it's still quite the nice touch for an NES game. The portraits are about the size of the battle window in Dragon Quest 1. Another interesting feature is that not every town has every kind of service; it's never to the point of being annoying (that comes when you find out you can only sell an item to a shop that has that item available for purchase, not just sell any sword to any weapon shop), but it does mean you have to be a bit more thoughtful in how you explore and keeping a warp Wing on you.

Now, the game's random encounters zoom you to a separate screen where you engage the enemy in an overhead battle similar to Zelda. You have your sword and a variety of subweapons. The subweapons are a bow, bombs, magic fired in a straight line, magic in a widening circle, jump boots, and magic glasses (to see invisible enemies). Enemies give experience and randomly drop money. The game also has two kinds of dungeons: caves and towers. Caves are the unfortunate thing they lift from Dragon Quest, as they are pitch black without a light and barely lit with a light; you can only see the immediate area around you. They are also far more complex than the Dragon Quest caves, so you end up really wanting a map (or mapping it yourself one tile at a time). The towers are more Zelda-y in their design. Essentially you are permanently in combat mode and navigate through the maze, up and down stairs. There are some treasures, though the essential treasure is always after the boss. Sometimes you need to push statues to unlock gates elsewhere in the level. And they are all more complicated than Death Mountain in Zelda 1 and you get no automap. That's the biggest miss in the game; with no automap and a ton of one-way doors you will get lost. With a map things become much more tolerable.

One nice thing is that the game is well translated and the NPCs give out all the essential hints. I never felt like I needed a walkthrough to know where to go next because by talking to NPCs I had all the hints I needed. You can't say that about every NES RPG.

The game really does feel like what we were expecting to get if the Zelda II pitch was "how about a Zelda sequel that includes some RPG elements". Instead of the side combat you have over the head combat in a familiar style. You have a variety of items to use, whereas the actual Zelda II items were a variety of "you must have this to get to the next dungeon". The game is rough around the edges; besides the aforementioned lack of auto map the combat can be a bit unforgiving due to the design decision that you can only damage one enemy per swing. So if two enemies are stacked and you stab you only hit one of them, usually leading to taking some damage from the other. And like Golden Axe Warrior the sword is just slightly too narrow, so you can whiff right before enemies run into you.

Like Faxanadu, this is a criminally overlooked game. I recommend it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice review. Speaking of old Game Arts RPGs, have you played Zeliard? I believe that's their first RPG with Faira being the second.
Ack

Post by Ack »

First 50:
1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
48. Shadowrun Returns (PC)(RPG)
49. Mobile Forces (PC)(FPS)

50. Tower of Guns (PC)(FPS)

51. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)(FPS)
52. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (PC)(FPS)

53. 9:05 (PC)(Text Adventure)
54. Mercenary Kings (PC)(Run and Gun)
55. Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (SNES)(Pinball)
56. Pinocchio (SNES)(Platformer)

Disney put out a lot of platformers in the 16-bit era. This one is one of the worst. I'm not saying it's a bad game; it looks wonderful, sounds great, and at times can be really creative. But there were decisions made in the design that I greatly dislike.

First, the high points: this game looks amazing. It pulls off the design and feel of the 1940 Disney classic with ease, and the levels lift almost directly from the plot, with some embellishment to make gameplay more interesting. The music and sound effects are also reminiscent of Disney's work, making the game a visual and auditory treat. While mechanics can vary depending on the level, there are some good ideas present. For example, there is a psuedo-boss level where Jiminy Cricket must fend off moths around a lamp before he can watch Pinocchio in a puppet show, or there is the level about an underwater search for Monstro where Pinocchio must gather clams to help weigh himself down so he can walk on the floor of an underwater cave instead of floating. The initial escape from Monstro requires you grab the tail ends of fish to help propel you forward and evade the whale's oncoming jaws. It actually works out quite well, and I found myself impressed with some of the ideas present.

Unfortunately though, you also must encounter some questionable game design decisions. For one, based on my experience, Pinocchio seems unable to attack unless you grab a specific item in the first level of the game. Miss it, and you'll be completely unable to make it past the fifth stage. There is a puppet show rhythm game early on that shows you most of the commands you'll need but then throws you a curveball for the very last move by not telling you the required command is an option. There are also two levels on rails with obstacles that are frustrating: the roller coaster, because it moves too fast to let the player read the warnings(I just ducked for most of it and jumped when I absolutely had to), and the final level where Pinocchio escapes with Geppetto on a raft from Monstro, where one of the obstacle types requires absolute precision or else you'll face automatic death. It's a weird contrast with the rest of the game, and while beatable, I definitely sacrificed some lives getting the hang of things.

Perhaps the strangest part of the game is the control scheme in the options menu. This scheme corresponds to Jiminy Cricket specifically, despite him only having one level in the game. While Pinocchio uses the same jump button(and the same attack if you make it), he never has a shield like Jiminy.

I don't consider Pinocchio some lost gem of a Disney game. It's certainly not bad, but it's questionable at times in its design. I'd feel much more comfortable recommending folks the likes of Aladdin or The Lion King or even Bonkers if they want to check out one of the Disney platformers. But if you get through all of those...well...Pinocchio is still there for those who crave a final bit of Disney magic.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

I beat Actraiser for the first time ever.
First played it back in the SNES days, and have played it a time or two since. Never got very far. Picked up the cart recently, put my mind to it, and beat it. I found that most levels seem fairly difficult at first, but I could usually get through them on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Bosses also seem very hard at first, but once you notice their patterns, they are mostly easy. I did watch someone beat the final boss on Youtube (because after about 5 tries I was having trouble). Once I saw the pattern, he was quite easy.

I'm happy to have beaten this game! It's a classic, it's been a long time coming, and it was fun. It's certainly unique... only game in the action-platformer/simulation category?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage