Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:42 pm

I had to check Wikipedia for the pronunciation of "atelier."
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Don't feel bad. Most of the voice actors in the game can't even say it right.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Stark Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I had to check Wikipedia for the pronunciation of "atelier."

Without looking it up I would say "AH-TELL-YAY." Am I close?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 pm

The thing is, even online dictionaries have different pronunciations for the word.

Because it's a French word in origin, then I believe the French pronunciation is the correct one:

http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dict ... 775700.mp3
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22604
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by MrPopo Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Exhuminator wrote:The thing is, even online dictionaries have different pronunciations for the word.

Because it's a French word in origin, then I believe the French pronunciation is the correct one:

http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dict ... 775700.mp3

The French pronunciation is NEVER right. You can't just drop off half the letters in a word.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Stark Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:11 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:The thing is, even online dictionaries have different pronunciations for the word.

Because it's a French word in origin, then I believe the French pronunciation is the correct one:

http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dict ... 775700.mp3

The French pronunciation is NEVER right. You can't just drop off half the letters in a word.

Heh, French is about as opposite as it gets from German. German is take every descriptive word and shove them together, then pronounce it all as if you aggressively hate the word.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22604
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by MrPopo Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Guess which language I took in high school.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:18 pm

In the school district I used to work at Japanese was mandatory grades K-5, then it becomes an elective. Bunch of future JRPG fanatics.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by alienjesus Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:20 pm

I adored Atelier Totori when I played through it last year on Vita. Rorona wasn't out at that point (weird that they released them out of order on Vita). I bought both Meruru and Rorona on a sale to play later, so I'm looking forward to playing them.
Image
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:53 pm

alienjesus wrote:I bought both Meruru and Rorona on a sale to play later, so I'm looking forward to playing them.

Make sure you play the "Plus" version of Rorona, because the differences between it and the original are many. It's a pseudo remake. (Whereas the other "Plus" versions of Totori and Meruru were just the default games with their DLC included. )
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests