Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 am

He's back! Good to hear from you again, Exhuminator.

I also saw that you beat some of the Lone Wolf games. I obtained an R4 from my Racketboy Secret Santa this year, and the Nintendo DS versions of those games were th e first games I placed on my R4. I was looking forward to playing them, and I am even more excited about them based on your reviews.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:He's back! Good to hear from you again, Exhuminator.

I also saw that you beat some of the Lone Wolf games. I obtained an R4 from my Racketboy Secret Santa this year, and the Nintendo DS versions of those games were th e first games I placed on my R4. I was looking forward to playing them, and I am even more excited about them based on your reviews.

You beat me to the "he's not dead!" post.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:38 am

Ha ha, no I wasn't dead. I was mainly busy with my dayjob being extraordinarily demanding in the past two months. As well as developing my own PC game. (If the link in my sig actually works, anyone who wants to play said game can do so as it's free.) I'm back for now to stink up the place again.

@prfsnl_gmr

The Lone Wolf game books really do hold up well. I played them using this free Android port:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... blio&hl=en

IIRC that version lets you play the first 12 games in the series.

I've also been mildly addicted to Tin Man Games' renditions of the Fighting Fantasy series on Android. Stellar stuff. (Though a tad overpriced.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:40 am

Exhuminator wrote:(If the link in my sig actually works, anyone who wants to play said game can do so as it's free.)

I am currently unable to download the game since I am at work, but I want you to know that the link does work. Also, I appreciate you offering proof that your game is virus free.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Soma - PS4 (survival horror)

Truly engrossing story and immersive world, and some really memorable moments. It also has some genuinely terrifying moments. On the negative side, some of the enemy encounters are annoying or just tedious. It's especially aggravating when you're trying to figure out where to go, or trying to interact with things in your environment to learn more about the game's story and you have to constantly worry about some obnoxious enemy looking for you or chasing you as this is a game where you literally have no way to fight or kill an enemy that's after you. There are moments in Soma where you feel like you need to mentally focus and the game simply won't let you.

Plus, the game is very unclear about how you're supposed to avoid detection from or get around certain enemies. Soma is not a hold your hand kind of game. You can sometimes find things in the environment that can inform you about what to do or how to deal with enemies, but it's your job to explore and discover those things, and sometimes figuring out where to go is a matter of randomly walking around until you get lucky

The puzzles are all pretty good though. They are pretty much based in real world logic and common sense. Overall though, Soma works much better as an interactive novel than it does a video game. Story > gameplay here

That story will stay with you though. It's very thought provoking, disturbing, poignant and downright chilling. And there are moments in the game where you have to make some hard, even disturbing choices. While they don't change the main plot, they will slightly change the dialog you hear making the game feel a bit more personalized to your actions. Soma presents itself as a horror game with many scenarios built around making you uneasy or terrified, but the story is really more a piece of thought provoking sci fi built around making you think about what it means to be human, to be alive, and how much is worth sacrificing for survival. It's all filtered through the lens of a survival horror game though.

The game's visuals do a good job in creating a sense of place and an immersive world, but it's really the sound design that shines here. This is one of those games where you're constantly hearing things that will put you on edge and scare you, where you're always going, "What was that?! Oh...guess it was nothing. AH!!! What the fuck was that!? Damnit...I need to calm down". I played this with headphones, usually at night and there were literally moments where I would hear something and get startled thinking it was something in my room when it was just the game. I've heard some people criticize the voice acting. I didn't have an issue with it, though I don't think the game has any recognizable talent behind it. No Nolan Norths or television actors. Where the game's visuals and audio work really well together is in a distortion effect that occurs at times in the game. I won't spoil too much other than to say that when it happens, the hairs will stand up on your neck and your pulse will rise. You'll understand when you play the game.

This is a one and done game with zero replay value and you can finish the game quickly if you have a day off to devote to it. You'll have acquired all the trophies too, (although one I've heard it missable, but you'd have to do something rather stupid in order for that to happen), but it's a very memorable experience that you likely won't forget. It has moments that will permanently etch themselves into your mind...for better or for worse
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES

So like I mentioned, I think I finally get this game. It's still the worst Zelda and I doubt I'll ever replay it, but I'm happy to be done with it. The secret? Grind the fuck out of your attack in the first palace. I got my attack up to level 5 before the boss and then let the placing of the crystal take me to attack 6. From that point on all the stuff that used to kill me was dying in one to two hits, not giving them the opportunity to attack too much. Second palace gave me level 7 attack, third I could have taken 8 attack but instead cranked up my life and magic, leaving the last three palaces to give me level 8 in my attributes.

The combat in this game feels like Ninja Gaiden, except your sword's reach is approximately as large as Link's head. And that's where the real frustration sets in; with a bit more reach so many of the encounters wouldn't be as bullshit. If you miss an attack you will always be taking damage because you have to be so in the face of your enemy. That's why high attack is so essential; if it takes you 8 shots to kill an enemy then that's a lot of chances for you to mess up and take damage. It also helps to understand how the drops work so you can use magic at opportune times, rather than hording it.

And massive props for making the game over respawn point in the final dungeon be the start of the final dungeon. If I would have needed to start from the beginning every time I don't know if I would have powered through. I only needed to game over once in the final dungeon (got in with one life left and no life or mana, so I had to essentially be perfect after the first death), getting to Thunderbird on the first life, losing to him on the second life, then beating him on the third and having enough magic for another Shield for Dark Link. Made it through with a single health box left.

This also felt like the most railroaded Zelda ever. I think it comes from the fact that the dungeon items are almost all just tools to get to the next dungeon and never get used again. Ocarina of Time keeps you on a similar path of needing to use the item from one dungeon to access/beat the next dungeon, but they keep getting used in other dungeons and have multiple uses beyond an arbitrary item gate.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 am

MrPopo wrote:The secret? Grind the fuck out of your attack in the first palace. I got my attack up to level 5 before the boss and then let the placing of the crystal take me to attack 6. From that point on all the stuff that used to kill me was dying in one to two hits, not giving them the opportunity to attack too much. Second palace gave me level 7 attack, third I could have taken 8 attack but instead cranked up my life and magic, leaving the last three palaces to give me level 8 in my attributes.

Interesting strategy.

I alternated the stuff I leveled when I beat the game last year.

But you know those dungeons with the knight (darknut? whatever?) that guards the entrance and comes to life once struck? They give substantial XP and sometimes drop potions. First dungeon that featured that dood I used to grind everything to the MAX. From that point on every dungeon was a breeze until the final one.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:04 am

Yeah, I think the first point you can do that is the third dungeon, which requires going through Death Mountain first. In the first palace you can grind on the flying skulls; that one room has one right at the beginning that goes in a nice, predictable trajectory. 84 hits at sword 2, 63 at 3, 42 at 4, gives 50 exp each. Rank 4 sword is 1000, rank 5 is 2000, and that's about as much as a normal person is willing to do at that rate. Then if you skipped leveling life/magic you should be able to be past the level points on both by the time you beat the boss, so then it'll give you the 3000 you need for rank 6 sword.

As for the drops, it turns out it's actually quite simple. There are two classes of enemy, small and large (and a third class of "guys who don't drop shit"). Every sixth enemy you kill in a class will drop an item. It's 50/50 between magic and a P bag. Small drops blue magic and 50 bags, large drops red magic and 200 bags.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Ack wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:(If the link in my sig actually works, anyone who wants to play said game can do so as it's free.)

I am currently unable to download the game since I am at work, but I want you to know that the link does work. Also, I appreciate you offering proof that your game is virus free.

Well you know some antiviruses have wonky heuristic detection. (As for the game itself, Shadow and Ash is a short spooky adventure that takes about 30 minutes to complete.)

-

OT: I just might beat Atelier Rorona Plus tonight. I'm at the very end of it now, fighting an optional black mountain dragon for fun (superboss / haven't beat it yet), but I've already cleared the alchemy request for this chapter, so once the days run out in the session, I should have the main game beat. I may or may not bother with the "Plus" post game stuff, depends on how much effort went into the new content created.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:57 am

Game's Exhuminator has beat in 2015...

1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / diving sim) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10
37. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
38. Bionic Commando (360 | 2009 | action adventure) 8/10
39. Vanquish (PS3 | 2010 | cover shooter) 9/10[/b]
40. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3 | 2007 | cover shooter) 6/10
41. King's Field II (PS1 | 1995 | dungeon crawler) 7/10
42. Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2 (DS | 2008 | surgery sim) 7/10
43. Fairune (Android | 2013 | action / puzzle) 5/10
44. Metroid: Other M (Wii | 2010 | action adventure) 7/10
45. Red Dead Redemption (360 | 2010 | action adventure) 10/10
46. Army of Two: The 40th Day (360 | 2010 | cover shooter) 6/10
47. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS | 1997/2013 | JRPG) 6/10
48. Bonk's Revenge (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
49. The Lord of the Rings: War in the North (360 | 2011 | action-RPG) 8/10
50. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 | 2008 | SRPG) 9/10
51. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (360 | 2010 | action adventure) 7/10
52. Sorcery! (Android | 1983/2014 | game book) 9/10
53. Sorcery! 2 (Android | 1984/2014 | game book) 8/10
54. Lone Wolf - Book I: Flight From The Dark (Android | 1984/2015 | game book) 8/10
55. Lone Wolf - Book II: Fire On The Water (Android | 1984/2015 | game book) 8/10
56. Island of the Lizard King (Android | 1984/2014 | game book) 7/10
57. Shadow and Ash (PC | 2015 | adventure)

58. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3 | 2014 | JRPG) 8/10

(I like the Japanese cover more than the USA one.)
In the fantasy kingdom of Arland, a little alchemy shop sits underutilized by its lady owner Astrid and assistant girl Rorona. One day the development body of the kingdom decides the space taken by the alchemy shop would be better served by a factory instead. Astrid and Rorona are given three years to prove their alchemy shop is actually useful, or they can kiss it goodbye. Astrid couldn't care less though and leaves the task to Rorona instead. Rorona having little actual alchemy experience, has a challenging road ahead of her to prove the alchemy shop is worth keeping around.

For the player this means taking primary royal requests from the kingdom and fulfilling them before a time limit runs out. There are twelve tasks in total of varying difficulty. The tasks usually focus on synthesizing special items via alchemy. To do this, Rorona and her friends (or hired mercs) must venture out into the dangerous countryside and collect the necessary ingredients. But that is not all Rorona can do in this game by far. There are copious side quests, cooking, gardening, equipment crafting, and even bounty hunting elements as well. That means the true challenge is managing your time, as everything you do costs days on the calendar. Run out of days before the primary royal request has been filled, and Rorona's little shop will be in dire straits indeed.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland is an incredibly charming game to play, with an uplifting spirit to the whole affair. Though graphically simple for a PS3 game, the aesthetics are consistently upbeat and exude cheerfulness. Characters are written well and come to life via competent voice acting. The catchy and perky music is seriously great, but if you don't like it, you can change it, because Rorona Plus allows the player to pick tons of tracks from all of the games in the series and assign them however they like. And while the plot is relatively simple, it never gets caught up in overwrought melodrama as so often plagues JRPGs. (The only questionable element being that Astrid is ostensibly an overt child molester who admits to fondling Rorona when she sleeps.)

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland is not a game for everyone. Those seeking classic JRPG structure and tropes won't find that here. This is a laid back experience about a seventeen year old girl just trying to keep her job. But if you want to enjoy a relaxing game, explore some countryside, collect ingredients and synthesize all sorts of crazy alchemic goodies, Rorona Plus lets you do that. With a decent combat system and optional super bosses, you can get into lots of involving battles as well. By the end, Rorona's friends and acquaintances will likely grow on you enough that you'll understand why Rorona wants to stick around Arland so bad. This game might not ultimately synthesize gold, but it never stops synthesizing fun.

PS After you finish the original game, the "Plus" version includes a large bonus scenario where the protagonists from Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru travel backwards through time and end up in Rorona's shop. A whole new series of adventures opens up for the three to endure. This includes new super tough dungeons and incredibly hard enemies and bosses. Also extra costumes are unlocked for Rorona to wear (which are a bit scanty because that ol' lech Astrid designed them for her).

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming