Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Key-Glyph Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:46 am

I just spent an hour or so leisurely strolling through the forty or so pages of posts I've missed since I fell off the boat a few months back. To those who think no one is reading their reviews, know this: I opened an e-mail draft to my best friend and copypasted six gaming recommendations to her as I went along.

Also, I think my favorite part was Blu's post from Leon's point of view. Totally spot-on. :lol:

1. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
2. Sushi Academy (DS)
3. Alcahest (SFC)
4. Comix Zone (GEN)
5. Lost Vikings (GEN)
6. Beautiful Katamari (360)
7. Toejam & Earl (GEN)*
8. Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
9. Toejam & Earl [2-player] (GEN)*
10. Mass Effect 1 (360)*
11. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
12. Pokémon Diamond (DS)
13. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) -- Summer Games Challenge!
14. Earthworm Jim (GEN) -- Summer Games Challenge!
15. Phantasy Star III (GEN) -- Summer Games Challenge!
16. Super Mario Bros. (NES) -- Summer Games Challenge!
17. Metroid (NES) -- Summer Games Challenge!

18. Ranger X (GEN)
I grabbed this game on the cheap a few years back because it had been name-dropped in a Keith Apicary song. I finally settled down with it when the crisp autumn air yesterday made me want to fire up the Genesis with something new.

WHAT AN AFTERNOON.

Right from the minimalist, atmospheric opening credits (that music!) and the TRON-esque mission objective sequences (those wireframe vector graphics!), you know you're getting into something special. And then it just gets better, because pretty much everything results in spectacular explosions.

You pilot a giant mech that shoots some bullets. Standard stuff. But in a really interesting design decision, your shooting direction is determined by button, not D-pad. The A button shoots left and C shoots right. There's an interesting resource-management twist to the gameplay, too. You've got a heat gauge that displays how close your thrusters are to cutting out, a shield gauge on your armor to keep an eye on, a power meter (for your suite of special weapons) that only recharges in bright light, and interesting complications like Power Conversion Units that restore your shield strength only by directly depleting your power meter.

You also have one of two auxiliary vehicles following along in every stage: one is basically a motorcycle that shoots simultaneously with you, and the other is a flying ship that crawls above and rains intermittent targeted lasers upon your enemies. If you've got a six-button controller (or a friend on controller 2), you can move these vehicles left and right independently with X and Z. These vehicles have a separate shield gauge, so when you're inside them -- as opposed to just surfing atop them -- Ranger X's armor shields are protected. Also, you can't switch your special weapons unless you're inside your vehicle. But you can't fire your special weapon until you're outside your vehicle.

You are going to have to glance over the manual for this one. :lol:

I don't know how complicated this is as compared to other run n' gun/platformer hybrids. The difficulty curve at the beginning is definitely palpable when you're trying to remember the unintuitive control scheme and the first level opens with a bunch of stuff already shooting at you.

But once you get it... oh, MAN.

I played through the game on every difficulty setting and just had a blast. Things are exciting and fast, but there are levels that are built for slow progress: a vertical climb up a skyscraper with infrequent platforms for cooling your thrusters, a city with searchlights that call reinforcements if you're spotted, a cave with only rare patches of sunlight breaking through. In my opinion this game is just jam-packed with imagination.

I will say that once you get the most powerful special weapon, you pretty much break the game. But can I also say how satisfying it is to fill the entire screen with a shattering blast of proton devastation? This game makes you feel good.

Highly recommended.

* = replay
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:12 am

Man, you've really sold that one to me. It's just jumped way up my priority list :lol:
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:55 am

Key-Glyph wrote:18. Ranger X (GEN)

Sounds interesting! How hard do you think it is? Do you have to put a lot of working into beating it?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:39 am

Ranger X looks cool, I think my local game shop has it in stock, but I'm always intimidated by 6-button Genesis games. I just fail at that control scheme.

Pretty sure the only 6-button Gen game I've beaten is Lost Vikings, but that game is so slow it almost feels turn-based in parts. :lol:

Key is really good at video games anyway. She dominates stuff that I can barely make a dent in haha.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:50 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ranger X looks cool, I think my local game shop has it in stock, but I'm always intimidated by 6-button Genesis games. I just fail at that control scheme.

Pretty sure the only 6-button Gen game I've beaten is Lost Vikings, but that game is so slow it almost feels turn-based in parts. :lol:

Key is really good at video games anyway. She dominates stuff that I can barely make a dent in haha.

Ranger X is no joke. It takes a bit of practice, but it is an excellent game. (It was listed on several of the EGM lists I mentioned earlier in this thread.) I really need to spend some time with it at some point.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Key is really good at video games anyway. She dominates stuff that I can barely make a dent in haha.

I always look at her completion of Comix Zone and shake my head in disbelief! That game is SOOOO HARD!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (WIIU)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)
45. Ittle Dew (WIIU)

Ittle Dew is an absolutely wonderful game, and since Nintendolife's review captures my thoughts on it almost perfectly, I am linking to its review here. It is humorous, loving tribute to The Legend of Zelda (and, to a certain extent, The Adventures of LoLo) with fantastic art direction. It is overflowing with personality, and I loved every minute of the six hours it took me to beat it. Moreover, the game has genuinely difficult puzzles, and I even had to consult a walkthrough for some of the most difficult ones. Finally, the game is completely open-ended and non-linear, and it encourages you to find alternative solutions to its challenges. (You acquire three items throughout your adventure, but if you are really clever, you can beat the game with only two of them. Moreover, you can acquire the items in any order, and the order in which you acquire them will affect how easily you can solve the game's puzzles.) In sum, Ittle Dew is exceptionally well-designed and I highly encourage you to play it. (I played it on the Wii U, but it is also available on Android devices and Steam.)
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I always look at her completion of Comix Zone and shake my head in disbelief! That game is SOOOO HARD!

Didn't know that, now I don't know if I can trust her answer :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:30 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Key is really good at video games anyway. She dominates stuff that I can barely make a dent in haha.

I always look at her completion of Comix Zone and shake my head in disbelief! That game is SOOOO HARD!

She 1 cc'd Thunder Force III.

Ain't nothing on the Genesis too tough for her.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 pm

I heard she drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming