by Luke Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm

noiseredux wrote:
how old?

MINIMUM:
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB
DirectX: Version 9.0
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

I think it's old enough to be in high school.

Last year my wife wanted to get me a new laptop or PC for Christmas. This year I'll agree with her. I only use this laptop for browsing and microsoft office, but this thing is olllllllllllllllldddd.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Sarge Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Beat Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Again.

Fun stuff, but the Skelerang + Throwing Sickle combo unbalances things somethin' fierce.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:57 am

I put another 30 minutes into trying to beat the Topaz boss last night Dave. I'm pretty sure I get to the very last part of the battle too. Lot of strategy with saving your secondary weapons (I use the turret) and bombs, but it is really crazy trying to avoid walls, AND the boss, AND kill/avoid the smaller enemies near the end there.

When they updated the game they took out the star requirements to even take on a boss, but prior to that I had replayed so many levels to get those stars that my satellite ship and secondary weapons have long been maxed. That's helped for sure, hoping to beat him tonight.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:30 am

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)
20. Lego Jurassic Park (PC)
21. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (PC)
22. Cities Skylines (PC)
23. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)
24. Her Story (PC)
25. Hearthstone: Curse Of Naxxramus (PC)

FINALLY beat the last boss. He was such a jerk. But great solo expansion. Got some good cards out of it, and learned to use the Priest better so that's a plus.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 pm

noiseredux wrote:25. Hearthstone: Curse Of Naxxramus (PC)

FINALLY beat the last boss. He was such a jerk. But great solo expansion. Got some good cards out of it, and learned to use the Priest better so that's a plus.

I love the priest class and it is the main one that I play. I know it is not the most popular of classes, but the new expansion definitely comes to benefit the class for sure! I am close to finishing the other solo campaign, but with the new expansion, I had to spend my precious gold on cards to improve my priest deck!

What did you learn from playing priest by the way?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:48 pm

1- Heavenly Sword (Ps3)
2- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
3- Sonic Generations (Ps3)
4- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
5- Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds (3DS)
6- Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
7- Pokemón Crystal (GBC)
8- Pokemón Fire Red (GBA)
9- Pokémon Y (3DS)*
10- Duke Nukem Forever (PS3)
11- New Super Mario Bros (DS)
12- Dishonored (PS3)
13- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
14- House of the dead overkill (Ps3)
15- The Evil Within (PS3)
16- Portal 2 (PS3)
17- Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
18- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
19- Adventure Time: Hey Ice king why did you steal our garbage? (3DS)
20- Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (PS3)
21- Darksiders 2 (PS3)

So i play it a bit of DS 1 and stopped because my dis was scratched, still playable except for the CGI cutscenes, so i decided to skip it and play the sequel since i heard it was better in everyway... now i wish to play the first one to understand the history a bit more :lol:

Gettin the obvious out first the game is what if prince of persia, god of war, diablo, zelda had a baby together? You get this game! I enjoy it about 95% of everything in the game, the dungeons the leveling up system the combat is all great and i kinda want more but it just has a few issues. Sometimes the framerate drops like a brick on water, the horse is the most cool looking thing ever but i wish it was faster (it is a bit slow for me even mashing R1), some of the map areas are just... straight lines... almost no point to them to add atmosphere i guess. Now besides those and a few dungeons i didnt like (city of the death and earth) this is game is great actually, i wish that they changed the combo system to two buttons and make the weapons indivially instead of square if for scythes and triangle for your secondary weapon (still pretty good).

I will admit that the first couple of dungeons feel a bit slow since you dont get any new gadgets or abilities that throw new puzzles and they stay with the prince of persia style a bit too longer that the others.

I love the atitude of Death, snarky and sarcastic, but in some scenes where in theory he cares for someone and screams "NO" it sounds like Willy Wonka for a second.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Sacred Citadel

A very solid, old school hack n slasher. It's similar to games like Castle Crashers or Shadow over Mystara in that there is an rpg element to it with levels, stats, equipment, elemental attacks, etc. The game pays tribute to various classics like Golden Axe, Guardian Heroes, old Konami beat 'em ups, etc. in various ways. The first stage feels like the first level of Guardian Heroes and the first time you ride an animal you will immediately think of Golden Axe. And there are environmental hazards everywhere like Konami's old TMNT games. You've got super attacks too, a la X-Men.

The game has an interesting art style that you'll either love or hate. The soundtrack is okay. There's nothing memorable, but I never found myself wanting to hit the mute button either. You tend to not notice it most of the time as it tends to get kind of drowned out by the sounds of battle. There's some decent voice acting in the game, though I tended to skip most dialog as I didn't really care about the story and am not familiar with the series this game is a part of. I just wanted to stab, stab, kill, kill, kill, story be damned.

The boss fights are actually pretty good, better than most games in this genre. As proof, here's a video of one of the boss stages (player just happens to be using the same class I did too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy6RdnQ_iD0

And you get to ride a freaking tank in this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8hpXEjfq0

The game's replay value comes from the different character classes, though they're not dramatically different in play styles. The ranger stands out the most because he can be played as an entirely ranged character. There's local and online multi-player, though I can't imagine the online community still exists for this game (you can get the MP trophies via local play I think and if you're playing the PS3 version that amounts to just 1 trophy I think). And you can replay levels for gold ranks or to complete challenges based around finishing stages with no deaths, within a set time limit, or with a certain damage total.

It's not up there with the best genre entries on XBLA/PSN, but it's a decent enough brawler to be worth a pick up if it ever goes on sale again
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:00 pm

1. Star Fox 2 SNES
2. Sonic Advance 2 GBA
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U
4. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict DS
5. Joy Mech Fight Famicom
6. Grandia PS1
7. Money Idol Exchanger Game Boy
8. The Battle of Olympus NES
9. Lost Kingdoms 2 GC
10. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon DS
11. Code of Princess 3DS DL
12. Discworld Saturn
13. Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [For the Frog the Bell Tolls] Game Boy
14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 3DS DL
15. 3D Streets of Rage 3DS DL
16. Pokémon Shuffle 3DS DL
17. 3D Altered Beast 3DS DL
18. 3D Super Hang-On 3DS DL
19. 3D Space Harrier 3DS DL
20. 3D Galaxy Force II 3DS DL
21. 3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master 3DS DL
22. Sonic 3 & Knuckles Mega Drive
23. Bayonetta Wii U
24. Fighting Vipers Saturn
25. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 3DS
26. Super Castlevania IV SNES
27. Shovel Knight Wii U eShop
28. Discworld II: Missing, Presumed...!? PC
29. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Saturn
30. Chameleon Twist N64
31. Live a Live SFC
32. Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland DS
33. Splatoon Wii U
34. Mega Man X Wii U VC
35. Game & Watch Gallery Advance GBA
36. Metroid: Zero Mission GBA
37. Saturn Bomberman Saturn
38. Touch My Katamari PSN
39. Banjo-Tooie N64
40. Transbot SMS
41. Talmit's Adventure Mega Drive
42. Alien 3 SMS
43. Shinobi 3DS VC *NEW*
44. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Vita *NEW*
45. Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge 3DO *NEW*

Shinobi

There are 4 distinct games called Shinobi in the Shinobi series (5 if you count the Arcade and SMS games as distinct entries!), so lets clarify which one I'm talking about here. The Shinobi I've beaten here is the Game Gear game, known in Japan as The G.G. Shinobi.

The G.G. Shinobi draws quite a lot from The Revenge of Shinobi on the Mega Drive, using the same methodical gameplay and slower pace than Shinobi 3. It offers lots of new innovations though with the ability to switch between multiple multicoloured ninjas like some sort of super saiyan team, all of whom have unique abilities and spells to make use of. You have to unlock them first, via a megaman level select. Beat the level and take out the boss to gain new powers.

Like MegaMan, some levels will be easier with certain powers, but unlike Mega Man there seems to be a clear 'correct' route through the game as each ninja you rescue is incedibly good on one of the other levels except the green one, which you should leave for last.

After the 4 levels are done, you go to the final bosses fortress where you have to make heavy use of all 5 ninjas powers. This is pretty cool, but it can feel pretty cheap too - some of the challenges are very very hard and require perfection, and you can tear through lives pretty quickly. The level is also massive and a maze and it can get very frustrating. I'd have preferred a selection of normal sized levels that require all 5 ninjas rather than this massive monstrosity.

Still, the game is a lot of fun, and a clear contender for one of the best on Game Gear. I beat it for my summer games challenge, and you can read a few more of my thoughts about it in that thread. Pick it up and play it. I recommend the 3DS VC version if you do, it's much nicer than dealing with that blurry Game Gear screen.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

The Metal Gear series is a series I've only gotten into recently. I played Metal Gear Solid as part of my summer marathon in 2013, played Metal Gear 1 & 2 for Together Retro in 2014 along with Metal Gear Solid on GBC, played Metal Gear Solid 2 for my summer challenge in 2014 and finally played Metal Gear Solid 3 for this years summer games challenge.

I played Metal Gear Solid 3 on the HD Collection for Vita, which is a pretty solid (hurr) way to play it, besides a few dodgy controls involving the rear touch screen. Fortunately they're not stuff you really need (tiptoe to look over stuff for example), and it's less of an issue than it was for MGS2. Although the HD Collection calls this 'Snake Eater' in reality the version of the game included is the Subsistence version with the updated camera. The game also includes the bonus Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 games from the Subsistence disc, but unfortunately contains none of the other bonuses that came with that, including Snake vs. Monkey and the comedy cutscene theater thing. It's debateable which version of MGS3 is the best because of this.

A lot of people claim that MGS3 is the best game in the series, and of what I've played so far, I'm inclined to agree. There's somewhat of a learning curve with this one - the more open environments and new stealth mechanics take a bit of getting used to, and I feel like on of the hardest parts of the game is the initial mission where you must rescue the scientist from the abandoned building.

The story of Metal Gear Solid 3 is intriguing, and the villains are some of the best in the series. Both are ridiculous and cheesy, but that's part of the fun - Metal Gear happily straddles the line between silly and serious and creates a unique eclectic experience. The boss fights are also solid, with The End being the highlight.

The 1960s setting is awesome and I love the James Bond style music that features. New mechanics like camouflage and the stamina gauge are cool and the improved close combat options turn the game on its head as far as I'm concerned.

Lastly, I loved the ending. It turns the whole story on it's head and makes you think about it in a different way. Naked Snake/Big Boss is a much, much more intriguing character than Solid Snake and I'm glad there's been a lot more games featuring him since MGS3 instead of Solid.

MGS3 lives up to the hype for me -it's a gaming masterpiece, and definitely one of the best games on PS2, even if that's not how I played it. It's one of the best games on Vita too :lol: I don't currently have a PS3 to play MGS4, so I'll probably move towards picking up Portable Ops and Peace Walker next. I'm sure they'll be as great as ever.

Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge

This game is better known as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Let me let you in on a secret - I'm not a big fan of Street Fighter as a series. I can't deal with fireball spam, I struggle with the CPU fighters and I honestly just don't find any entry in the series to be as fun as 3D fighting games like Tekken and Dead or Alive, or even some other 2D fighters. That said, I DO have some nostalgia for it, as I had it on SNES as a kid like basically everyone else did. The main reason I picked this up though was to finally have a decent new game for my underloved 3DO.

I played through the regular story as Cammy for a while as I'd never played a version of SF2 with the 4 additional characters before, but I don't really get Cammy's moves (what on earth is the point of that crappy spinning punch thing that is hellish to pull off?) and I didn't enjoy trying to do Shoryuken movements on the 3DOs kinda meh d-pad, so I eventually swapped to Chun-li instead.

The game is a very nice playing and smooth version of SF2. I didn't notice any lag, even on the fastest game setting and the music sounds excellent on 3DO (at least when my 3DO audio isn't dying...). The big flaw of the game doesn't come from the game itself though, but rather the system.

Street Fighter uses 6 attack buttons - heavy punch, mid punch, light punch, heavy kick, mid kick and light kick. On the SNES, this works well on the SNES' 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. On the Mega Drive it works fantastically with the not-too rare 6 button controller. On the 3DO though, it causes an issue. The 3DO only has 3 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons to work with, so they had to map the buttons in a really odd way.

Thus, the face buttons A, B and C are mapped to light, mid and heavy kick respectively. L is your light punch and R is you heavy punch. And your mid punch button is P. For those not familiar with the 3DO, P is the start button.

It's not a perfect solution, but it works ok I guess. It's definitely better than playing the Mega Drive game on a 3 button pad for sure. The main issue I had is as a SNES Street Fighter veteran I kept trying to use R for heavy kick and A for light punch. I guess I need to mess with the controls a bit and see what works for me.

There is a 6 button 3DO pad (it looks awful) and also an adapter to connect SNES controllers instead, but both are kinda pricy and I don't see the point of buying them just for this. It's a good version of the game, and one of the best games on 3DO, but the control issues are a genuine concern.

And no, I didn't fight Akuma. I suck too much at Street Fighter for that.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:29 pm

I beat Jet Grind Radio on the DreamCast this afternoon!

I rather enjoyed this game. The sound is fun, the art direction and color is amazing and the game play is rather addicting. It is just really enjoyable to go out, do trick and spray paint graffiti while listening to some funky tunes. I think the game would have been better in a sandbox environment cause when it starts introducing bad guys, the game becomes a bit annoying and frustrating. It is a rather unique game, but very fun and very enjoyable!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm debating whether I should download the Shinobi GG games from the VC or wait until the Retron 5 Game Gear adapter drops.

Generally I don't go digital unless a physical version is nonexistent. Made an exception for Shantae though. Eff the price of that game.
Return to General Gaming