Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Batgirl A Matter of Family

The most obnoxious piece of content I've played in the entire Arkham series.

Just to give you an idea how fun this crap is...

The game glitched at one point preventing my progress in a hostage saving scenario involving a ferris wheel.

The combat is sloppy. I once tried to use the grappling hook on a guy and watch it FUCKING GO THROUGH HIM

Early in this DLC, I died about 15 times in this FUCKING OBNOXIOUS segment where you have to beat up a group of thugs with a timer ticking down. By the time you finish and have about 10 seconds remaining, you have to defuse a bomb using that stupid, obnoxious password, hacking mini game. The game does not give you enough tactile feedback on the dual shock to help you figure out where to hold your analog sticks to crack the code and other than that you're left to try and fucking guess what the stupid goddamn password is. On top of that, Harley is incessantly taunting you and breaking your concentration.

Every time you get get blown up you have to wait for Joker to finish taunting you in those obnoxious game over screens, then wait forever for the fucking game to reload, wait for stupid Batgirl to finish her stupid, fucking conversation with Robin again, and then do the whole stupid fucking fight again before FINALLY getting a chance to try and crack the password again with whatever pitiful time you have left....only to get blow up AGAIN after listening to Harley make fun of you again...

Then you get to enjoy the Game Over screen again with Joker telling you what a fucking loser you are...AGAIN.

Fuck this DLC, FUCK WB GAMES MONTREAL, FUCK ROCKSTEADY, FUCK ARKHAM KNIGHT, FUCK OVERPRICED SEASON PASSES...AND FUCK THE GODDAMN FUCKING BATMOBILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. I'm not the only one who thinks this is a piece of shit:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/178 ... index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/178131- ... index.html
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:55 pm

I really hope you prepurchased the season pass and so you felt obligated to play it because you already owned the content. Otherwise you're just a massive masochist based upon your enjoyment of the rest of the game.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:58 pm

MrPopo wrote:I really hope you prepurchased the season pass and so you felt obligated to play it because you already owned the content. Otherwise you're just a massive masochist based upon your enjoyment of the rest of the game.

The first option

Yeah, I'm a sucker
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Ya know Gamerforlife, you rant about how shitty so many modern games are (and I don't disagree). And you claim that the retro scene is the best. Yet when the final turd drops you continue to submit yourself to the bullshit you claim to hate. What gives, man?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ya know Gamerforlife, you rant about how shitty so many modern games are (and I don't disagree). And you claim that the retro scene is the best. Yet when the final turd drops you continue to submit yourself to the bullshit you claim to hate. What gives, man?

I guess it's stubbornness. Maybe it is time for me to get an old CRT television, bring out my older systems and maybe start doing more retro stuff...like Ack with all the SNES stuff he plays. Or try that cool Punisher game I made another thread about.

I used to really like the Batman games though, I just don't get what happened with this one. I wasn't high on Origins...but it was easy to blame that on a new developer. This one got Rocksteady back on though and...ugh. And then they get the Origins team back on for the DLC as another slap in the face.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm

You have modernotripleAitis. It's an unfortunate condition one can incur from being exposed to too much overwrought homogenized vapid contemporary gaming. It is curable however. As your not a doctor I advise you to play some old games for a few weeks, preferably free of polygons, and not exceeding the year of 1997 in publication.
Gamerforlife wrote:Maybe it is time for me to get an old CRT television
I used to really like the Batman games though

As your not a doctor here's your prescription:

Your prognosis is good if you can abstain from polygons for a few weeks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Games Beaten 2015

by Kidpanda Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Batman on NES and MD is all he needs, those other pills are just filler XD
Well, GB batman is a great chaser!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 pm

LOL

That's some classic stuff. Some of those I haven't tried yet (those Gameboy games). I think I need a good dose of this too:

Ah, the good old days, when you could turn on your TV and see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQVC2zCC5qA

And walk into a store without hearing about DLC and season passes
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention this little nugget.

I had stopped playing the Batgirl DLC at one point, turned off my PS4. Later in the evening I turned it back on...and 3 trophies popped...each with screenshots of my PS4 home screen since I was no longer playing the game

Only in Arkham Knight :roll:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:51 am

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)

Well, it's official. I have now cleared another of my Summer Gaming Challenge. Rolled through and watched both of the main endings for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as well as got Indy turned into an angry god, just to see what would happen. Fun times.

IJFA is a LucasArts point and click adventure from the company's 1990s golden age featuring one of my favorite film protagonists ever. It's fun, offers a variety of ways to solve its problems, and includes a couple of different endings based on your actions. There are three major routes through the game, based on whether you want to fight your way through, think your way through, or rely on your teammate, a "psychic" named Sophia. The combat system isn't the best in my opinion, though if you end up getting into a fight, there is a sucker punch move...though it doesn't give you any score. IJFA uses a scoring system of up to 1000 points to show you how many different ways you had gone. It's an interesting technique to remind the player of the game's replayability, which is unique in this genre.

Most of the game works really well. Traveling the world, searching for clues about Atlantis and figuring out new ways to solve the various puzzles is a lot of fun! The puzzles also steadily ramp up in challenge, at least in my opinion, so the game has a nice build to it until the final climax, which is resolved via dialogue. The various locales are interesting to explore, and the game feels like LucasArts had been learning from all of their previous adventures to create a superior masterwork. Unfortunately that moment collapsed for me in Atlantis.

What happened? Well, technical glitches. I bumped into a Nazi and somehow fled during his dialogue sequence, which caused my dialogue options to appear over my command list. I also watched Sophia get possessed and wander off ahead of me, yet when I backtracked for a minute, I came back to discover her just fine again...until she went through the entire possession conversation again. Ordinarily this would be a small consideration for me, but I've never encountered bugs like this in a LucasArts adventure before. I had always considered them supremely polished. It's still an excellent game, but I'm sad to see them harm the experience. Before they manifested, IJFA was in a top contender spot to become my favorite LucasArts adventure.

Still, between Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Loom, it's amazing to see what LucasArts could do with the point and click adventure formula. I recommend both highly to anyone curious about the genre.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming