Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

Luke, if you open the spoiler I posted, you can read the review I posted concerning what I did and did not enjoy about Other M. I always spoiler hide my reviews in this thread.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 am

You should read the translated Metroid manga that goes into Samus's history. The story of Other M was designed with the manga in mind.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:37 am

Exhuminator wrote:Luke, if you open the spoiler I posted, you can read the review I posted concerning what I did and did not enjoy about Other M. I always spoiler hide my reviews in this thread.

I read the spoilers, and I know you aren't thrilled with the character of Samus and thought the game was a tad easy.

Just wondering if there were any polarizing aspects of the game that struck you.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Pretty brutal schedule yesterday, was involved in some video shooting. Had to wake up at 3:30 AM, went up to 8:30 PM, with a two hour drive home and unloading. I got in probably around 11:30 PM. Thankfully, there was a break between sessions where I snagged about an hour of sleep. Otherwise I'd have been full zombie mode.

Anyway, that doesn't make for a lot of gaming time, but I squeezed in beating Contra and Super Dodge Ball using NESDS. Pretty terrible run on Contra, I blame my tiny screen and a long day. Still had five lives at the end, so it could have been worse, and I lost the Spreader right before the bubble boss, yet still managed to take it down without losing a life. Yay!

Super Dodge Ball is ridiculously easy on Normal. Hitless run.
KayJay
24-bit

by KayJay Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Sarge wrote:Ooh, good games all right there. Obviously. :)

If you're interested in some dissection of Fusion, Jeremy Parish has been breaking the game down on his blog. Might be interesting to read, especially since you just finished it.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, i forgot about this. :lol:

I'll take a look at that blog, thanks!

Yeah, those are all amazing games i played. I think my favorite out of all of them was Galaxy 2 (however, they're all awesome), i forgot how great Galaxy 2 was.
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Well, I've beaten the original Doom. I'm not counting the fourth episode as part of that, since the original set was three episodes.

Honestly, it was a lot of fun overall. Fairly simple, but addictive. Just the right sort of blend of action and mild puzzling. The graphics haven't aged well, but they still have their charm. And it's nice that it runs so smooth, at the very least.

The last boss wasn't hard... but that's because I used the BFG9000. :)

Obviously nowhere near a complete run, but I did get 100% on a stage or two. I should also note that I was on default difficulty. That's probably as far as I'll take it for right now.

I can also see why it had so many folks concerned. In an age where games were still very much considered for kids, it was a game clearly trying to push boundaries, and I'm sure it especially appealed to teenagers. That much in the way of blood and guts, combined with the Satanic imagery, would have certainly given my parents pause... and I'd not let my kids play something like that, either. Of course, today, it's almost quaint. :(

I'm really glad I went through it, though! There's a lot of quality there.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 pm

MrPopo wrote:You should read the translated Metroid manga that goes into Samus's history. The story of Other M was designed with the manga in mind.

Reading the manga wouldn't make me enjoy the game's plot anymore then I already do not. I said Yoshio Sakamoto was the reason that Other M's story sucked and Samus' portrayal was sexist. Sakamoto was the editorial supervisor/general editor for the manga, so he indeed had much to do with its story and version of Samus as well. If the manga and Other M share common elements in plot and characterization of Samus... it still means Yoshio Sakamoto is the man to blame as I said before. So reading his manga would probably irritate me despite whatever nice artwork it likely has.

In an interview with G4TV, Team Ninja's Yosuke Hayashi makes it very clear the game's story was Nintendo's job, not his own studio's. "The story for Other M was definitely the product of Mr. Sakamoto at Nintendo", he said."We definitely worked with them on the project, but that was all him."

http://kotaku.com/5843159/blame-nintend ... ucky-story

Luke wrote:Just wondering if there were any polarizing aspects of the game that struck you.

It didn't feel like a Metroid game. It was piss easy. The plot sucked. Samus was portrayed as a weakling because of her gender (she got called "Princess" at least five times in this game). Exploration was practically nil. The two final bosses are repeats from earlier Metroid games. The controls were not thought out well.

Despite all that, Other M was still a highly decent action game though.

-

Forgive me if I seem pissy in this response guys. I'm not handling the news of Iwata's death very well at the moment.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 am

Sarge wrote:Well, I've beaten the original Doom. I'm not counting the fourth episode as part of that, since the original set was three episodes.

Honestly, it was a lot of fun overall. Fairly simple, but addictive. Just the right sort of blend of action and mild puzzling. The graphics haven't aged well, but they still have their charm. And it's nice that it runs so smooth, at the very least.

The last boss wasn't hard... but that's because I used the BFG9000. :)

Obviously nowhere near a complete run, but I did get 100% on a stage or two. I should also note that I was on default difficulty. That's probably as far as I'll take it for right now.

I can also see why it had so many folks concerned. In an age where games were still very much considered for kids, it was a game clearly trying to push boundaries, and I'm sure it especially appealed to teenagers. That much in the way of blood and guts, combined with the Satanic imagery, would have certainly given my parents pause... and I'd not let my kids play something like that, either. Of course, today, it's almost quaint. :(

I'm really glad I went through it, though! There's a lot of quality there.

Ok, son, you did your best. But your best wasn't good enough. You killed one Spider Mastermind, big deal. You didn't stop the invasion. Your home is now the demon horde's bitch. It's time you fight back on home turf. It's time you play...

DOOM II: HELL ON EARTH
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 am

Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

I really enjoyed DOOM and DOOM II. I only put about two hours into DOOM 3 though... that game bored me tremendously. It was too confined and linear, and only threw one or two enemies at you at a time usually. It just didn't feel like DOOM to me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:53 am

Nah, never played the Quake games. I think I've got a copy stashed somewhere, though. :P

So, I knew I was close to finished with it, but I finished Bayonetta 2 last night. Definitely a smoother game overall than the first, although it gets really, really linear towards the end. I liked the earlier stages where you poke around a bit more. But then, one realizes that the endgame is typically going to be like that anyway, just for all the absolutely bonkers setpieces.

The story is the usual tripe when Japanese devs handle anything related to religious imagery that is closer to Christianity... although there is no mention of the Judeo-Christian God, only angels and demons. So it's more "inspired" than any sort of direct analogue. Also, I had to roll my eyes when our favorite JRPG cliche managed to trot itself out at the end.

Still, none of that gets in the way of a rollicking good time. Pretty amazing game, and if you like hack-and-slashers at all and have a Wii U, you need this game.
Return to General Gaming