Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Sarge Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:00 pm

I don't think Ruins of Lore is that good, either. :( Passable, maybe, but not really good.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the story of FFIV is any better than the story of FFV. They're both pretty crap in the story department to be honest :lol:

I agree. If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).

Exactly. Not all video game stories are created equally, but there still likely aren't any 8/16-bit console RPGs worth playing for story alone.

I would absolutely take the story in FFV over IV, VI, VII, VIII, and X any day. V's is a fairly simple story with some subtlety. The others have stories fashioned from cudgels of useless, pandering drama and emotion, used to club baby seals. I would also argue that IV and VI are more shonen manga than V; just slightly different eras.

Exhuminator wrote:On SNES? Howabout Dark Law: Meaning of Death, Energy Breaker, Dark Half, Shin Megami Tensei II, or Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles? All these have above average stories, definitely better than FF V by all means.

Have you beaten all of these? I've never heard anyone specifically reference the stories of these games, aside from SMT II, which I've heard is a clear step back from the story in SMT due in large part to the first act comprising of all the shit hitting the fan. Even SMT's story isn't really that good. Probably the only things worth mentioning about it are its issues of morality, and that it used FFVI's driving hook a couple years earlier. Although, I'm inclined to believe Dark Half probably does have an above average story, since it's by Westone, I'm equally inclined to believe it's upstaged by the game-play; because it's by Westone.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:36 pm

...so are you defending FFV or just shitting on JRPGs from that era?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm saying that stacking old console RPGs up by their stories is an exercise in futility, and that engaging mechanics trump whatever third-rate script was pumped out for them.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Right, so shitting on the genre at the time then.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:45 pm

If you play JRPGs for the story alone, then I'm sure it seems like I'm shitting on the genre. I think the genre in its early years is better as a legacy of game-play than story.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 pm

pierrot wrote:If you play JRPGs for the story alone, then I'm sure it seems like I'm shitting on the genre. I think the genre in its early years is better as a legacy of game-play than story.

Have you played a recent JRPG? When I play modern JRPGs, I find the same themes that I find continuously throughout all JRPGs. Story-wise, it's usually the same thing over and over again: insane militarism, destruction of nature being bad and the return to naturalism/environmentalism being good, good and innocence triumphing over evil, modernization often being used for destruction, religion as an evil, etc.

The interesting thing about the genre in its early years is that it wasn't sure quite yet how far to go with these themes, as opposed to now, where they are set in stone and hammered in repeatedly. Do you remember the public reaction to Aeris dying in Final Fantasy 7? People were shocked, which was ridiculous, as the Final Fantasy games had been killing characters for years. In V, Galuf dies. In VI, you can kill Cid and Shadow. Hell, Final Fantasy IV was practically a bloodbath for all the character death that occurs there. And that's just the FF games.

As for a legacy of gameplay...well, a lot of it is rudimentary when compared to now, and not all of it is good. JRPGs earned a reputation for using the Fight command a lot, and they got started doing that from the get go. Some of them suffer heavily from little gameplay quirks, like retargeting enemies or excessive use of menus. Frankly, a lot of people really dislike the gameplay of these early titles, and there are classics I admit that I struggled with partly for this reason. Earthbound comes to mind, one where the interface proved to be a hindrance for me. But FFIV, the first of its lineage that really attempted to go for story-driven gameplay in a JRPG? Yeah, I'd be happy to play it again. It was experimental, it was unsure of itself, and it was a damn site more interesting than many modern JRPGs as a result.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:06 pm

pierrot wrote:I'm saying that stacking old console RPGs up by their stories is an exercise in futility

So is boxing an entire era of RPG plots up and calling them "third rate".
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Ack wrote: Hell, Final Fantasy IV was practically a bloodbath for all the character death that occurs there. And that's just the FF games.

All one of those main characters who died?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Westane
32-bit

by Westane Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Ack wrote:When I play modern JRPGs, I find the same themes that I find continuously throughout all JRPGs. Story-wise, it's usually the same thing over and over again: insane militarism, destruction of nature being bad and the return to naturalism/environmentalism being good, good and innocence triumphing over evil, modernization often being used for destruction, religion as an evil, etc.

And excessive fan service. You forgot excessive fan service.

*looks over at stack of Hyperdimension games*

*smiles*

*cries*
Return to General Gaming