Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by MrPopo Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Ack wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Ack wrote:Have you ever played Lufia or Lufia II?

I need to play those.

When you finally get around to them, play them out of order. Mechanics-wise this will be a bit difficult, as Lufia II benefits from things learned in Lufia. But plot-wise, trust me. Do NOT start Lufia until you beat Lufia II.

I second this. The hardest part about going back to Lufia 1 is that it doesn't retarget attacks if an enemy dies. The other stuff that Lufia II adds is more of "making something good better" rather than "fixing something that sucks".
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:00 pm

But when should I play Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and Lufia: The Legend Returns?

I was actually thinking of playing Lufia: Curse of Sinistrals - the Nintendo DS remake of Lufia II - before Lufia & The Fortress of Doom. (I will save Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and Lufia: The Legend Returns for last.) Is this the best approach? Or, should I play Lufia II (SNES) rather than its remake?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:the Nintendo DS remake of Lufia II -, should I play Lufia II (SNES) rather than its remake?

Just want to say that Lufia II SNES vs DS are very different games. The DS one is an action-RPG, whereas the SNES one is turned based. Play the SNES original first, just because it's a classic. Lufia II on SNES has some of the best puzzles you'll ever solve in a video game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:the Nintendo DS remake of Lufia II -, should I play Lufia II (SNES) rather than its remake?

Just want to say that Lufia II SNES vs DS are very different games. The DS one is an action-RPG, whereas the SNES one is turned based. Play the SNES original first, just because it's a classic. Lufia II on SNES has some of the best puzzles you'll ever solve in a video game.

I had no idea! I will definitely play the SNES version first.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:12 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:But when should I play Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and Lufia: The Legend Returns?

I was actually thinking of playing Lufia: Curse of Sinistrals - the Nintendo DS remake of Lufia II - before Lufia & The Fortress of Doom. (I will save Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and Lufia: The Legend Returns for last.) Is this the best approach? Or, should I play Lufia II (SNES) rather than its remake?

Play The Legend Returns as the third game, since it apparently summarizes the first two Lufias at the beginning. The Ruins of Lore is a sidestory, so you should probably save it for the end.

Exhuminator already handled Curse of the Sinistrals, but I want to echo him. There is one dungeon in particular with a set of puzzles that stumped me for a while back when I first played through the game. It's damn good gameplay, and that ending...

...a kick. In the nuts. Really, Prfsnl, you gotta play it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Ack wrote:...a kick. In the nuts. Really, Prfsnl, you gotta play it.

Sounds good. I wasn't really feeling Earthboud; so, I may sub it out for Lufia II on my "summer games challenge" list.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:21 pm

You guys are wacky. Games should be played in the chronological order they were released. No exceptions (unless certain installments are super-rare, Japan-only with no translation, whatever)!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I wasn't really feeling Earthboud

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FFVI and Chrono Trigger are the only JRPGs I enjoy more than EarthBound.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah, but you know about the plot reveals between Lufia and Lufia II. The truth is that Lufia spoils the best part of Lufia II, and it spoils it right at the start of the game.

I really wish they had been released in a different order.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Westane
32-bit

by Westane Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:25 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You guys are wacky. Games should be played in the chronological order they were released. No exceptions (unless certain installments are super-rare, Japan-only with no translation, whatever)!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I wasn't really feeling Earthboud

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FFVI and Chrono Trigger are the only JRPGs I enjoy more than EarthBound.

Actually... I didn't love Earthbound when I tried it either. FFVI and Chrono Trigger are possibly my two favorite games ever, but Earthbound didn't hit me like I wanted it to.

That said, I only gave it a few minutes to make an impression and I'll be "forced" to play through it via my project probably early next year, so I'll get through it one way or another and I'm hoping/expecting my opinion will change.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Ack wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:But when should I play Lufia: The Ruins of Lore and Lufia: The Legend Returns?

Play The Legend Returns as the third game, since it apparently summarizes the first two Lufias at the beginning. The Ruins of Lore is a sidestory, so you should probably save it for the end.

Exhuminator already handled Curse of the Sinistrals, but I want to echo him. There is one dungeon in particular with a set of puzzles that stumped me for a while back when I first played through the game. It's damn good gameplay, and that ending...

...a kick. In the nuts. Really, Prfsnl, you gotta play it.

Legend Returns is the third game in the chronology, so play it after the first two. Ruins of Lore is a weird side story set after Lufia II that doesn't feature any of the stuff that makes the first three games good.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming