Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Key-Glyph »

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations, guys! I'm trawling eBay for Return of Samus as I type. I love me some Game Boy games, no doubt. 8)

Ack: I think you mentioned somewhere else that this is the farthest you've ever gotten in your Summer Games Challenge? Am I remembering that right? If so, GO ACK GO!

CFFJR: I hope you enjoyed the ending to Toejam & Earl! Getting there is fun, but then the finale extras are the icing on the cake.

fastbilly1 wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."
Im the captain of the gravy train
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Ack

Post by Ack »

Key-Glyph wrote:Ack: I think you mentioned somewhere else that this is the farthest you've ever gotten in your Summer Games Challenge? Am I remembering that right? If so, GO ACK GO!

Haha, thanks. Yeah, this is the first time I've gone beyond beating 5/10. Maybe I'll keep it going.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).

It seems you've missed out on some great 16-bit JRPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think the reason Metroid II gets a bum rap compared to the rest is that it is expansive like Super but has no in-game map so it is much easier to get lost and much harder to manually map compared to Metroid. Additionally, the structure of the game means that you go through several mini areas in a linear progression. Each mini area has exploration and whatnot, but you don't have things like choosing which miniboss hideout you want to go for first or Super's going to one area to get equipment for a second area that lets you into the third area where you find stuff that opens up more of the first area etc etc.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The problem I had was that Metroid II's areas' tilesets don't employ enough distinct variation to make navigation as intuitive as it should be. This is coupled with the fact the graphics are black and white, so you don't have color to enhance the tileset differentiation either. The whole world just looks like its made of millions of small piled stones everywhere, and it gets confusing fast.

ImageImage

I'm not saying this is a bad game. But you can damn sure tell its the one 2D Metroid that Yoshio Sakamoto did not direct when you play it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

:lol:

Seriously, though -- good to know what I'm getting into here.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).

It seems you've missed out on some great 16-bit JRPGs.

Phantasy Star IV?

You let me know which ones you think I've missed, and I will let you know what I think of their stories. :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You let me know which ones you think I've missed, and I will let you know what I think of their stories. :lol:

On SNES? Howabout Dark Law: Meaning of Death, Energy Breaker, Dark Half, Shin Megami Tensei II, or Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles? All these have above average stories, definitely better than FF V by all means.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

You cheated! Those are all on Super Famicom!

Oh wait, so is FFV.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:You let me know which ones you think I've missed, and I will let you know what I think of their stories. :lol:

On SNES? Howabout Dark Law: Meaning of Death, Energy Breaker, Dark Half, Shin Megami Tensei II, or Chaos Seed: Feng Shui Chronicles? All these have above average stories, definitely better than FF V by all means.

Who knows? They're all in Japanese!

The only 16-bit RPGs with stories I would consider "good" are Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Even then, both of those games rely more on atmosphere and characterization than plot, and I don't think that the stories in either really rise much above pulp.