Opa Opa

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Opa Opa Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:58 am

^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

MrPopo wrote:V has the most standard shonen story ever written, so yeah, it definitely compares unfavorably to IV and VI.

Thank you.

Also, Ack, congratulations on finishing the game. Sounds like you had a blast with the job system at least.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:03 pm

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the story of FFIV is any better than the story of FFV. They're both pretty crap in the story department to be honest :lol:
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:V has the most standard shonen story ever written, so yeah, it definitely compares unfavorably to IV and VI.

Thank you.

Also, Ack, congratulations on finishing the game. Sounds like you had a blast with the job system at least.

Thanks, man.

Yeah, it's a "system" game. You play it strictly for the system and for building up your characters. That is what FFV is best at and where it shines. If you play it for the plot instead...well, I wouldn't recommend it. The plot is window dressing at best here. I enjoy building up characters and seeing how I can abuse or make and break things, so the key part of the game interested me, but the story just doesn't support it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Opa Opa wrote:^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."

Im the captain of the gravy train
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Shining Force II (GEN)
25. Rayman Legends (WIIU)

Shining Force II is a lot of fun. I wrote about it in the Summer Game sChallenge Thread.

I rolled the credits on Rayman Legends this weekend. Like Rayman Origins before it, Rayman Legends is spectacular 2D platormer. The game is beautiful; the soundtrack is superb; the levels are wonderfully designed; and, most importantly, it is tremendously fun. I am also glad that I waited to play this game on the WiiU, since it is the best version for the game's "Murfy" levels (which play like a fast and tremendously fun version of Gumshoe (NES)). Finally, the game is crammed with content, and although I rolled the credits on it, I still have alot of levels to unlock and a lot more game to play before I move on to something else. I really cannot recommend it highly enough, and everyone who loves video games should own a copy of Rayman Legends.

alienjesus wrote:I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the story of FFIV is any better than the story of FFV. They're both pretty crap in the story department to be honest :lol:

I agree. If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations, guys! I'm trawling eBay for Return of Samus as I type. I love me some Game Boy games, no doubt. 8)

Ack: I think you mentioned somewhere else that this is the farthest you've ever gotten in your Summer Games Challenge? Am I remembering that right? If so, GO ACK GO!

CFFJR: I hope you enjoyed the ending to Toejam & Earl! Getting there is fun, but then the finale extras are the icing on the cake.

fastbilly1 wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."
Im the captain of the gravy train
I was raised by a cup of coffee.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Ack

by Ack Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:Ack: I think you mentioned somewhere else that this is the farthest you've ever gotten in your Summer Games Challenge? Am I remembering that right? If so, GO ACK GO!

Haha, thanks. Yeah, this is the first time I've gone beyond beating 5/10. Maybe I'll keep it going.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:20 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).

It seems you've missed out on some great 16-bit JRPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm

I think the reason Metroid II gets a bum rap compared to the rest is that it is expansive like Super but has no in-game map so it is much easier to get lost and much harder to manually map compared to Metroid. Additionally, the structure of the game means that you go through several mini areas in a linear progression. Each mini area has exploration and whatnot, but you don't have things like choosing which miniboss hideout you want to go for first or Super's going to one area to get equipment for a second area that lets you into the third area where you find stuff that opens up more of the first area etc etc.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming