Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Nice to see somebody keepin' it retro.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:38 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Nice to see somebody keepin' it retro.

Hey! I'd have more posts but Shining Force II is really long and getting 3000 points in Kaboom! is really hard.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:38 pm

I've been playing 7800 stuff mixed in with PC/DS/TR so keep it quiet.

oh, and Radar Lock on the 2600
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Hey, I was doin' NES stuff right up until I started playing Pillars of Eternity and Majora. And I'm back to it with the Natsume classics. :) Planning on finishing Pillars this weekend, I think it can happen.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 pm

In my defense, my NES, SuFami, and Genesis are all not working... and those are all my retro consoles (unless PS1 stuff is retro?). If my SuFami was working at least, I'd be playing the heck out of that. Don't have a lot of games for the other two, but the ones I do have I still want to play :(
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Whoo! Finally finished Pillars of Eternity.

So, overall, I enjoyed it. I think my machine was a little slow, it made for some really long loading times in between areas. I had to be really patient. Final save time was somewhere between 60-65 hours. Only thing I didn't do was the songbird quest, the Master Below, and the Berath quests.

So, ending stuff. Time for the good ol' spoilers tags...

So, the game took a really... well, anti-religious bent at the end. And I mean, yeah, it's a fictional universe, and a good comparison is probably something like the Greek gods or something. The game basically treats its obviously-existing "gods" as false gods. As something created. I'm cool with that, actually.

It's the other part of the picture. The implication that there is nothing beyond that. That there are no gods. And much of the discussion in the last bits very much reads like a sort of atheist treatise, as it were. Which is fine, if a little banal in the end. In a lot of ways, it's the same arguments I see in real life against my own faith.

So as a religious person, the game's message in the end is obviously one I can't agree with. Yes, it's a fictional universe, but it's obviously trying to go for real-world parallels. And at the same time... eh, it's not worth getting worked up over, because I've seen this sort of story play out many, many times. The only thing it lacked is killing a "god" from your average JRPG. :P

Now that the spoilery bits are over, I will say that the story that is there is very well-told, even if the overall nature of it in the end didn't appeal to me.

Also, MrPopo, you were right about the final battle. I had two bad attempts. One because I forgot to heal up before waltzing in (but I remembered to save!), and the other I almost finished but just managed to fall with the last boss at 20% health. Then I had a really good grasp on what I needed to do in the fight, and it wasn't even close. Torched him, and didn't even lose a person. Turns out throwing my high-interrupt Monk in on him worked better, and having a Confuse hit on both he and one of his summons helped, too.

And again, thanks so much for the copy of the game! Definitely worth playing through, and I'm looking forward to the eventual sequel (and the upcoming expansion)!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I'm quite excited about the expansion myself as well as some sequels that explore the world more. The nature of souls in the game's universe lends itself to some interesting storytelling possibilities. I also thought they developed a combat system that takes a lot of queues from the Infinity Engine games but takes advantage of the fact it's not hobbled by having to adhere to AD&D 2nd rules.

When you have a story that involves a pantheon of false gods (whether they are mortal constructs like in Pillars or "angels" taking on the role of gods) you have a few possibilities to go with that:

1. No real gods at all
2. Real gods that somehow have lost the ability to interact with mortals
3. Real gods who don't care that there's false gods taking all the worship

Version 2 is not too different from version 1 in the grand scheme of things. So you're left with either no gods or gods who don't give a shit.

"So as a religious person, the game's message in the end is obviously one I can't agree with. Yes, it's a fictional universe, but it's obviously trying to go for real-world parallels. And at the same time... eh, it's not worth getting worked up over, because I've seen this sort of story play out many, many times."

There's a better reason to not get worked up over it; you won't agree with every message in every game. You can enjoy a story without needing to agree with its message, and the general exposure to different viewpoints and ideas enriches us.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 am

MrPopo wrote:
When you have a story that involves a pantheon of false gods (whether they are mortal constructs like in Pillars or "angels" taking on the role of gods) you have a few possibilities to go with that:

1. No real gods at all
2. Real gods that somehow have lost the ability to interact with mortals
3. Real gods who don't care that there's false gods taking all the worship

Version 2 is not too different from version 1 in the grand scheme of things. So you're left with either no gods or gods who don't give a shit.

Or alternately, real gods that care, but choose to not intervene at that time. Which isn't much different from v2 (or v3), except that there's an implication that the current status quo is being used for a particular reason, and that the "proper" order will be restored at some point.

"So as a religious person, the game's message in the end is obviously one I can't agree with. Yes, it's a fictional universe, but it's obviously trying to go for real-world parallels. And at the same time... eh, it's not worth getting worked up over, because I've seen this sort of story play out many, many times."

There's a better reason to not get worked up over it; you won't agree with every message in every game. You can enjoy a story without needing to agree with its message, and the general exposure to different viewpoints and ideas enriches us.
Oh, yeah. I certainly wasn't implying that I was under the expectation that I would agree with every message. Indeed, my last sentence of what you quoted is more to reflect that I'm used to seeing worldviews in gaming and other media that conflict, often rather heavily, with my own. It still doesn't mean that I don't believe it to be wrong, or that I would enjoy a story more if it did align more closely with what I believe to be true. I believe this is true of most people, and there's nothing wrong with that instinct. At least this particular tale was told with aplomb, as opposed to something more ham-fisted like the Avatar movie. :P

I also agree that being exposed to different viewpoints can be enriching... but my overall point is, to me personally, it's not a new viewpoint, and thusly is not actually that enriching. At least from an actual introspection standpoint, not a general storytelling standpoint.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:17 am

I read loading times increased with experience. Seriously.
marurun

by marurun Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 am

Being exposed to long loading times broadens my horizons. Gives me time to think and reflect on the universe.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to General Gaming