Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:57 am

Ecco is one of those games where the aesthetics are way better than the actual gameplay. It's really awkward and really hard and not a tremendous amount of fun.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:35 pm

The Ecco series is definitely a strange ethereal like experience, when you get deeper into the game and start to see how utterly dark and weird they are. I mean the first game opens up with your friends and family being sucked up into a vortex, leaving you all alone in the empty vast ocean (scarier to me than space). Then some Deus Ex Machina stuff comes in, you go to Atlantis, get more supernatural powers, and take on the Alien Queen. No jokes here.

I can't remember which versions were harder, between the Genesis and CD versions. I know one of the versions for both 1-2 have checkpoints throughout the levels, whereas the other does not. I've only managed to beat the first games CD version.

The soundtracks to both the Genesis and CD version are amazing. I wish Spencer Nilsen did more games beyond those, Sonic CD, and some others.

I have not managed to finish Tides of Time. The difficulty spike in the first game is incredibly steep after awhile, and Tides of Time seems like it basically picks up right where the first leaves off and is really hard right off the bat.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Well while we're talking about beating Novotrade games, did anyone ever beat this?:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Exhuminator wrote:@Alienjesus

I once dated a girl who was an Ecco fanatic. She beat all three of the Genesis games on the actual hardware. I watched her play some of them, and they looked like beautiful games. But then I tried playing one and my "bad game design" alarms started going off near instantaneously. I keep wanting to go back and give them another shot though, because of the things she told me about the games. I watched her play a certain part of Ecco 2 with a giant jellyfish chasing her and that shit was INTENSE son. So I think the Genesis entries are likely good games if you have enough patience. Then there's that 3D Dreamcast / PS2 game... don't know if it's any good though.

Tube of Medusa. Love that level. Incredible music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk72RMv9d0s

Ecco is great stuff.

The dreamcast game is good too, but it doesn't let up on the difficulty the series became known for.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:27 pm

dish probably has.

I really need to pick that one up. I don't have many 32X games (who does?).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Kolibri's harder than you might think because those crazy detailed backgrounds like to hide enemies and bullets.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:34 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't have many 32X games (who does?).

Masochists with too much disposable income?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:54 pm

The best port of Doom out there!!!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:32 pm

I've beaten Kolibri. IMO it's not as good as the Ecco games, which I'm a fan of. It's not as difficult but it's more repetitive and based more heavily on killing enemies. And while Ecco tells what I think is a really interesting story, Kolibi is pretty light on that front. Not having the ability to communicate with anything makes it seem really stripped down from what made Ecco so interesting to me.

It's a decent enough game, one of the better 32X titles, and worthwhile for Ecco fans. But if you don't like Ecco, I wouldn't recommend it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 pm

I've got seven games for it: Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Racing, Tempo, Star Wars Arcade, Cosmic Carnage, After Burner, and Doom. I'd like to find Kolibri at some point. My 32X also doesn't behave very well with my Model 2 Genesis systems, which are the only ones I have the passthrough cable for.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Return to General Gaming