Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:54 am

PresidentLeever wrote:What about hard mode though, not much of a difference?

I'm not sure, I finished it on normal difficulty.
PresidentLeever wrote:Could you give some examples?

Stage 5-5's "Revolving staircase" segment is an example. Stage 6-2's "Shattered Mirror" segment is another good example. Nice special effects but not nice gameplay design.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:31 pm

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)
9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)
10. Secret of Mana (SNES)

11. McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (GEN)

I picked this up in a trade several weeks back. I hadn't even heard of the game, a fellow collector was just trading off some loose carts and I didn't have three of them. After the trade he pointed out that this cart had some value to it.

I played most of the way through the day I traded for it, and went back to finish it today. This is a nice looking, colourful Genesis game with some great sprite work. The music is good and the controls are fairly solid (my only gripe being a bit of delay in turning around sometimes, but once you get used to that it isn't much bother). The story is goofy and the game is very generous with extra lives and continues, though I guess the default difficulty is pretty low, so higher difficulty might change that.

All together it was a fun time. I was pleasantly surprised both by the quality of the game and the value of the cart.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:38 pm

elricorico wrote:All together it was a fun time. I was pleasantly surprised both by the quality of the game and the value of the cart.

It was Treasure's sophomore game. Released shortly after Gunstar Heroes. Surprisingly great.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Stage 5-5's "Revolving staircase" segment is an example. Stage 6-2's "Shattered Mirror" segment is another good example. Nice special effects but not nice gameplay design.

I don't quite recall the staircase part, but 6-2 was definitely an interesting, creative challenge to me and not just visual/technical flair.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:45 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:interesting, creative challenge to me and not just visual/technical flair.

Well if you enjoy the stage, that's cool man. I agree it was a unique idea. I just don't think it was a fun idea.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 am

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Omerta City of Gangsters(PC)(Crap)

This game is best described as a poorly designed time sink :P. I blew 26 hours on it expecting it to get better the entire time, but it never did.

Story wasn't bad but like everything else in the game it was basic. Everything is told through still picture cut scenes at the beginning and end of each scenario with some decent albeit cheesy voice acting. Most of the characters aren't really developed though and are built entirely around cliches.

City management is hard to screw up in this game and is very simple with very little going on aside from buying up property and waiting. It's very easy on any map to generate a ridiculous amount of income with minimal effort since the properties pretty much manage themselves after you buy them and nearly all of them are profitable regardless of the situation.

The combat is pretty horrid as well and I found myself using the chance based "auto resolve" option pretty often. Combat just feels very slow and unbalanced with missions taking excessively long because a lot of combat is based on luck and patience. In an average battle you will control between 1-4 characters facing off against 5-13 enemies who usually are better equipped then you are and have the same amount of HP. To make matters worse everyone is horrible shots and attacks only land probably 20% of the time unless you get right on top of someone. There is also a courage system which gets really cheap at the end since your team members are easily panicked and will break rank and run into the open quite frequently when confronted with the higher tiered enemies who have taunts. The equipment system also seemed to be broken when I played it I noticed multiple scenarios had unique weapons listed as a reward, but I never received a single one so I was stuck with base weapons the entire game. Overall it just felt like it was slapped together and just functional enough to pass as playable. Combat is also broken due to the fact that the game gives you infinite retries if a mission isn't going your way you can instantly restart in the pause menu with no repercussions.

Overall I recommend avoiding this game there are so many other great turn based strategy games out there as well as much better mob games.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:25 am

That's too bad. I received Omerta free on GOG some time ago and was curious about trying it. I guess I can sit and wait on it a while longer.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 am

I don't like shooters, I could write a whole essay as to the reasons why, but The Order 1886 was just very interesting to me with its setting and story. A period piece in Victorian England with immortal knights of the Round table fighting werewolves? Fuck yeah

And this is largely what works about the game, the story is engaging. The characters are cool. The voice acting is excellent. And in terms of presentation this game is slick as fuck with its seamless transitions, zero load screens and gorgeous graphics. The game's sense of place is excellent with beautiful looking environments, settings and enemies who actually speak in relation to what's going on for a more immersive experience. When you move about the battlefield, you'll hear guys say things like, "he just went down the stairs" and if a guy gets off a lucky shot on you then you might hear, "Fuck you knight!" That's the kind of stuff I look to see more of in modern games, immersive stuff and realistic feeling enemies.

I love the use of black water in the story, which heals all wounds and extends life. It explains how the knights can survive hellacious situations they find themselves in, making it more believable that a guy regularly getting shot throughout a game can somehow survive it all, a little detail most game makers don't care about. Most shooters have a disconnect between cut scenes and gameplay. Why is it such a big deal when a guy gets shot in a cut scene despite regularly shrugging of bullet wounds in actual gameplay? Well in this game you'll see characters shot, blown up, etc. in cutscenes and use black water to heal themselves much like a player would use a medpack to heal in a video game in actual gameplay. Something nice about a shooter where people actually do get shot and stuff in cut scenes...sometimes completely randomly, mimicking the randomness of actual gameplay. I don't know, it's a small thing that most people probably won't even notice or care about, so moving on....

Gameplaywise, meh - it's a shooter. Though this game is more balanced than a lot of other shooters I've played. I actually found it a fun challenge to replay a lot of the game's firefights to try and get through without taking a single bullet and this is surprisingly possible in many of the game's encounters with the right mix of skill, strategy and luck, unlike most shooters where getting shot regularly is a given. Some of the science weapons you get to use in parts of the game are fun too, like the Arc Gun. One thing I gotta knock the game for though is it's use of bullet time, which is the worst I've seen in a game of this type. It's just really clunky how they implemented it and it's not nearly as useful as it is in other shooters. In fact, you can largely play through the game forgetting you even have a bullet time ability. I only really used it whenever some obnoxious shot gun user would try to rush me, and I'd stop his punk ass with bullet time...or if possible just melee attack him for a very, very satisfying kill animation. Seriously, fuck those shot gun guys. Punk ass bitches

When the game doesn't have you shooting stuff, you'll engage in quick time events and stealth scenarios and various other things like climbing, pushing boxes, etc. The QTEs are what you would expect, though there are moments where the game utilizes them in really smart ways. In one part of the game, I was shooting a charging enemy. This had no effect, so my next thought was to try the gun's secondary function. Not a split second later I got a quick time prompt to hit the button for the gun's secondary function. One boss fight looks to mirror Resident Evil 4's knife fight, but then adds a Punch Out inspired twist to it that is kind of cool and actually makes the fight feel more interactive for the player. There's a LOT of QTE stuff in the game, to the point of almost feeling like you're playing a game like Heavy Rain at times.

I really wish someone would make a game one day that has QTEs with NO button prompts. I think it would make the game so much more interesting if players had to look at the situation, see what's happening, then figure out what to hit on their controller. When games give you prompts all the time, it feels like you're not really interacting with the game or being challenged. You're just being told to hit specific buttons on command...which is uninteresting.

The stealth stuff is pretty basic, but it's fun to take a break from the bland shooty shooty stuff and just sneak up behind dudes and shove a knife through their neck. The game actually has a melee feature (mentioned earlier), that you can use if you get close to an enemy, even during a fire fight. This is very cool, as the melee kills all result in a variety of different killing animations that can vary based on where you and the enemy are. I went through an early fight in the game just charging fools and meleeing them to death instead of shooting my way through. That was fun...but suicide in later levels obviously when enemies have better weapons and can mow you down quick as a hiccup.

A solid game, moreso if you actually like shooters...which I generally don't. I largely enjoyed it for the story and presentation though rather than the shooty shooty stuff. I like this property and these characters and this world. The game's an easy Platinum too for those of us who care about that sort of thing. I don't get all the hate it got from critics as there's honestly nothing awful about the game
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:48 am

Gamerforlife wrote:I really wish someone would make a game one day that has QTEs with NO button prompts. I think it would make the game so much more interesting if players had to look at the situation, see what's happening, then figure out what to hit on their controller.

Beyond Two Souls did this.

https://youtu.be/ztBg_ymeaSU?t=72
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:53 am

Fragems wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I really wish someone would make a game one day that has QTEs with NO button prompts. I think it would make the game so much more interesting if players had to look at the situation, see what's happening, then figure out what to hit on their controller.

Beyond Two Souls did this.

https://youtu.be/ztBg_ymeaSU?t=72

so did Dragon's Lair.
Return to General Gaming