Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Ack »

Haha, no worries, marurun. You're the second person to tell me that the midwives in particular bothered them.

I guess the biggest issue for me is that the very thing which creeped you out is what let me hunt them down.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Honestly I didn't find SS2 to be scary either. It didn't really get into creepy for me either. But I generally don't get that sort of emotional reaction from games; a notable exception is the STALKER series when you get into the labs.

CFFJR wrote:As such, I've started up System Shock 1 (using System Shock Portable, check this out if you're interested in playing the game ) and I think I'm gonna work on that next.

You are in for a treat. I look forward to seeing how you like this.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Congrats Ack, on finishing System Shock 2. If we were in some weird military where you play games as missions, I'd pin a medal on you. Especially since you played the game with the respawning and weapon degradation still active, instead of installing the patch that removes those things.
Ack wrote:The days when a game really dug into my head and gave me nightmares is long past, and the few times I find games really scary nowadays, well, those games have really gone the extra mile and done something unique.

I wouldn't say System Shock 2 ever really scared me, but I do remember the entire time I played it, I always felt a strong sense of tension in my shoulders. It's a stressful game in a way that's not scary so much as it is intense.

System Shock 2 was created using a modified version of the engine that my all time favorite game runs on. If you have not played the game I am about to link, please do so. But what until the fall. This is a game meant to be played as the world is dying into winter, late at night, alone:

http://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold

That's right. Thief Gold. Thief is the best game I have ever played in ~33 years of game playing. And it's the scariest game I've ever played as well. Or at least, it was in 2001. To be fair, I have not played through this game all the way since then. But I'm willing to bet, it still holds up. Looking Glass were lords among kings. Anyway, if Thief doesn't scare you at least once, you're dead inside muh boi.

CFFJR wrote:Endless Ocean

Good on you for not only playing this gem but beating it as well. I want to recommend its sequel to you, Endless Ocean: Blue World. I don't mean play it immediately, wait until next summer (this is a summer series IMO). Blue World is much more game-y than the first, there's a lot more to do, with a more dramatic story, and more varied locations. I wouldn't say it's a better game than the first, but it's a different take on the formula. I loved both games but most folks prefer Blue World overall. I hope you give it a shot down the road.

As for System Shock vs System Shock 2... I love both of these equally as well. But SS is quite a different experience than SS2. The original is very much a cyberpunk sci-fi action-adventure, with a LOT of complexity. Whereas the second game is more of a sci-fi horror hybrid. The initial learning curve when you first play System Shock is tremendous, but once you wrap your head around its interface, you're in for a really, really unique and fun game. And it actually has cyberspace dungeons from time to time! Something SS2 regrettably dropped.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

MrPopo wrote:You are in for a treat. I look forward to seeing how you like this.

Glad to hear it! It looks like its gonna be great. I'm usually not good about it, but l'll try to post updates here and there.

Exhuminator wrote:Good on you for not only playing this gem but beating it as well. I want to recommend its sequel to you, Endless Ocean: Blue World. I don't mean play it immediately, wait until next summer (this is a summer series IMO). Blue World is much more game-y than the first, there's a lot more to do, with a more dramatic story, and more varied locations. I wouldn't say it's a better game than the first, but it's a different take on the formula. I loved both games but most folks prefer Blue World overall. I hope you give it a shot down the road.

Thanks! Blue World sounds like good stuff. It probably will be a while, but I'll definitely check it out.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / simulation) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10

Be an anime and Mexican wrestling obsessed manchild who decides to become the number one assassin because he thinks he'll get laid if he does so.

Good stuff: Very unique game with an outrageous sense of style. Crazy plot with plenty of laugh out loud moments and top tier voice acting. Visceral highly frenetic combat with heaps of cartoonish gore. Assassin missions are pretty fun with a nice bit of variety as they progress. Reaching #1 assassin is done by a series of super cool boss fights. Pulse pounding music at times. Fun characters to interact with.

Bad stuff: Having to vigorously masturbate the Wii Remote in order to charge your beam sword every 30 seconds. Grinding for cash inbetween assassin missions to afford the next mission and the upgrades you need to handle it. This is done via simplistic and boring side jobs and repetitive assassin jobs. A huge city that is bland and pointless, serving as little more than an inconveniently slow menu in reality. Lots of idiosyncratic game design elements that don't value the player's free time. Technical shortcomings like bad framerates and a wonky camera persist continuously. Graphics are pretty rough around the edges and merely get the job done. WTF ending that didn't make much sense but that's Suda for you.

Overall: If you're looking for a wild slash 'em up with a great sense of humor, No More Heroes fits the ticket. But you will need a bucket of patience to deal with the constant grinding for cash. A sad factor that in reality was simply a way to artificially lengthen the time it takes to complete this game. No More Heroes would have been a brilliant 5 hour experience, but it's merely a good 10+ hour one. Will you like this game? I'll put it like this; you have to poop in a toilet to save your game. If that sounds cool, this is for you.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Nice to see the kitten from Shenmue is still getting work.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
2. Demon's Souls* NG+++ (PS3) [PLATINUM]
3. Castlevania (WiiUVC)
4. Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4)
5. Super Castlevania 4* (WiiUVC)
6. Castlevania Rondo of Blood (WiiVC)
7. Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse (WiiUVC)
8. Castlevania Dracula X (WiiUVC)
9. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
10. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
11. Castlevania Bloodlines (Gen/Emu)
12. Castlevania Chronicles (PSN)
13. Donkey Kong Country* (WiiUVC)
14. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (WiiUVC)
15. Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (WiiUVC)
16. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow* (WiiUVC)
17. Bloodborne (PS4)
18. Sonic & Knuckles* (PS3)
19. Donkey Kong Country 2* (WiiUVC)
20. Sonic the Hedgehog 3* (PS3)
21. Mortal Kombat X (PS4)
22. Donkey Kong Country 3* (WiiUVC)
23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2* (PS3)
24. Sonic the Hedgehog* (PS3)
25. Ratchet & Clank Crack in Time* (PS3) [PLATINUM]
26. Dark Souls 2* (PS4)
27. Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus (PS3) [PLATINUM]

* = replay

My Ratchet & Clank journey has finally come to an end, at least with the main games of the series. Into the Nexus was definitely a step down and kind of disappointing overall. The engine wasn't as good as the previous PS3 games, although everything looked nicer, it wasn't as smooth and I had trouble seeing what the heck was even going on on the screen sometimes, never had that issue before. The orchestrated music was insanely generic, and the new story and characters were very lame. Where was the humor? It was a strange departure from the previous games and pretty weak. Still not too bad though and it was fun, but easily ranks near the bottom of the listings.

Next up I think I'll finally hit up Jak HD or Sly 2 HD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator, it sounds like you would like No More Heroes 2. They cut out a lot of the in between mission grinding and now it consists of only doing one or two jobs which are now much more enjoyable, and I believe the city isn't as boring to go around in.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:Exhuminator, it sounds like you would like No More Heroes 2. They cut out a lot of the in between mission grinding and now it consists of only doing one or two jobs which are now much more enjoyable, and I believe the city isn't as boring to go around in.

No More Heroes 2 is definitely a huge step forward for the series as there is no city to go around in, just a map where you select missions and the jobs are done in a retro, 8-bit arcade style and are actually fun!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)

played through Arcade Mode... as far as I know, I've now played every port of Puzzle Fighter.