Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by laurenhiya21 Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 pm

^The problem I had with Trauma Team's co-op was that the tools are divided up between players, so generally me and my sister had to wait for the other to do something before continuing. In New Blood both players had access to all the tools, so both of us could work on two things at the same time (and I doubt either of us could of beaten it by ourselves).

We probably could of worked out some sort of a system to work with it, but for us it was just easier to play the game single-player.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu May 28, 2015 10:17 pm

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC
6. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16
7. Unreal - PC
8. Shadowrun - SNES
9. Warcraft III - PC
10. Dungeon Keeper - PC
11. Final Fantasy X-2 HD - PS3
12. Descent - PC
13. Quake Mission Pack 2 - Dissolution of Eternity - PC
14. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2 - Ground Zero - PC
15. Sokobond - PC
16. Hybrid Heaven - N64
17. Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis
18. Castlevania - NES
19. Super Castlevania IV - SNES
20. Castlevania III - NES
21. Castlevania II - NES
22. Castlevania Rondo of Blood - Turbo CD
23. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - PC
24. Fractal - PC
25. Kirby's Adventure - NES
26. Pillars of Eternity - PC
27. Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den - PC
28. Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour - PC
29. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - NES
30. Punch-Out!! - NES
31. Doom 3 - PC
32. The Even More Incredible Machine - PC
33. Contra - NES
34. Dark Forces - PC
35. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - PC
36. X-Wing - PC
37. TIE Fighter - PC
38. Bloodborne - PS4
39. Gradius - NES
40. Marble Madness - NES

Short but sweet. The speed run for this game is 2:47, and requires sections of playing blind. A normal person will finish or lose in 5 minutes or less. But man, this game makes you EARN it. Your marble has a good amount of inertia, so you need to get adept at controlling how much force you apply when and in what direction. There's a lot of sections where if you don't do things right in the first time or two then you're going to lose a good 10-15 seconds getting through that part. And the final section of the Ultimate Race requires a crazy amount of precision with a massive penalty if you fail (4 second death penalty). But once you make it you feel triumphant.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 28, 2015 10:23 pm

@laurenhiya21

I thought it was more realistic in Trauma Team that you both couldn't be doing the same thing simultaneously. But I can understand where you're coming from with the greater player customization aspect.

For those of you who enjoyed the portable games in the series, there's also this to consider:

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/5/5/7/70557_front.jpg

And if you can read Japanese and have an interest in dentistry:

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/8/7/3/93873_front.jpg
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Marble Madness drives me mad...

I find that game to be devastatingly hard and annoying. I have it on C64, so the controls are doubly terrible. It's doesn't really play well on the Midway comps either.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 pm

MrPopo wrote:40. Marble Madness - NES
Wow, good for you! I fall into the "only lasts five minutes" camp. It's fortunate that I could listen to that first level's hypnotic tune all day long, because... I would probably wind up having to. :lol:

Did any of you fine folks ever have that wooden box that's essentially an analog version of Marble Madness? For what it's worth, I sucked at this, too.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:Did any of you fine folks ever have that wooden box that's essentially an analog version of Marble Madness? For what it's worth, I sucked at this, too.

my wife owns this actually, yeah.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu May 28, 2015 11:30 pm

@Key, I had that as a kid! I loved it. If I remember correctly it was called Labyrinth.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 pm

Stark wrote:@Key, I had that as a kid! I loved it. If I remember correctly it was called Labyrinth.

Yup! I had that as a kid as well. I was not very good.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 am

Key-Glyph wrote:
MrPopo wrote:40. Marble Madness - NES
Wow, good for you! I fall into the "only lasts five minutes" camp. It's fortunate that I could listen to that first level's hypnotic tune all day long, because... I would probably wind up having to. :lol:

Because of the time limits the game can only last so long.

55 seconds for Practice
65 seconds for Beginner
+35 Intermediate
+30 Aerial
+20 Silly (which has +24 bonus seconds if you kill everything)
+20 Ultimate

So assuming you spend the maximum amount of time in the game (cross Ultimate at the last second, don't lose seconds for hitting 99) then your playtime is at most 249 seconds (4 minutes and change), with an additional 10 seconds every time you get wanded, though I've only ever had that happen once in a run.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 pm

1. Jazzpunk (PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
3. Grandia (PS1)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Off-Peak (PC)
7. realMYST: Masterpiece Edition (PC)
8. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS)
9. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10. Space Pirates (PC)
11. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PC)
12. Inherit the Earth (PC)
13. Saints Row IV (PC)
14. Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
15. The You Testament (PC)
16. Dark Forces (PC)

17. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

Ratchet & Clank –
Having selected this title for the recent Summer Games Challenge, because of the popularity of the series and because of having never played any game in said series, I felt that it was about time to set myself straight and start playing it. For those that don’t know, Ratchet & Clank is a 3rd person platformer set in space where you play as both Ratchet, a space lion/tiger/meerkat looking thing and Clank, a cute as a button robot. You are tasked with finding the help of super space hero, Captain Qwark and put an end to an evil scheme by an even more evil space conglomerate to create a planet by dismantling and destroying other various planets in order to repopulate their species after a run in with excessive pollution. As you play, you gain gadgets and weapons that help you fight off baddies in your quest to save the universe. These weapons range from the mundane, like a rapid fire blaster, to the utterly absurd like a gun that turns enemies into chickens.

What I loved in this game was the art style and graphical cohesiveness the game presented. Released early in the life of the Playstation 2, the game had wonderfully colorful visuals that still hold up today. They do not feel dated or stunted in comparison to some of the more gritty looking games of that era. Characters animate with personality and move with a sense of style that seems almost unheard of today in modern gaming, which is startling to think about. We don’t get very many colorful, animated and lively games anymore and it was very refreshing.

As for the gameplay itself, I found the game to be quite entertaining, with a great progression of difficulty as you move through, introducing new enemies, challenges and gameplay mechanics in a natural way. There are a lot of different gameplay modes that appear in the game like flying spaceships as you shoot down enemy warships, playing as Clank solo, gathering robot drones to fight for you as you navigate obstacles, turning Clank into an enormous battle robot that crashes through the environment. All of these games come naturally and are a lot of fun to play and also give you some respite from the hectic chaos of vertigo-inducing platforming and frantic combat.

One game in particular is a menace though, the hoverboard races, dear god the hoverboard races. These hoverboard races stand out as a blemish in an otherwise delightful game. The controls are wonky, the AI is far too perfect and the game requires perfection in hitting every boost and taking every short cut caused eons of frustration for me. I would say that, outside of the final level/boss fight, the majority of my time was on those blasted hoverboard races.

The final level also proved to be quite a challenge for me. I hit a wall and I do not really blame the game for it. Being a first-time parent with a newborn leaves much of my gameplay time peppered in the late evening when she goes to sleep. I have about an hour or so of free time from midnight to 1 A.M. to play as I make sure she sleeps soundly before heading off to bed myself. At that point I am exhausted and my game skills are lacking and that final level requires some skill and use of all the weapons at your disposal to complete. So, with all the cards against me I hit a wall. Luckily, I got some time in the middle of the day, while well rested to finally tackle the end and completed it with ease and relief.

I cannot stress how much fun I had playing this game. The characters were full of life and had real story arcs to build relationships between Ratchet and Clank and when the credits finally rolled, you saw their friendship really bloom. It was a joy to play.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to General Gaming