Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BogusMeatFactory Tue May 26, 2015 10:42 am

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I know this, because everyone stinks of Virtua Fighter, only because they play Tekken or Street Fighter and there is no fighting game like it to compare really.

*ahem*

<--- Lau player

Amen brother! Good to always have another lover of the fine arts! I am a Lau player for Virtua Fighter pre-Final Showdown. Now I am a Pai player for 5, simply because I love her style of play and bevy of confusing moves and variety. It is THE game series that made me fall in love with competitive play. I would spend so much time at the arcades taking on all-comers. It is the fine wine of gaming!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

by Ack Tue May 26, 2015 10:51 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Amen brother! Good to always have another lover of the fine arts! I am a Lau player for Virtua Fighter pre-Final Showdown. Now I am a Pai player for 5, simply because I love her style of play and bevy of confusing moves and variety. It is THE game series that made me fall in love with competitive play. I would spend so much time at the arcades taking on all-comers. It is the fine wine of gaming!

It is. I picked it up with VF3 in arcades but got into the series heavy with VF4 around 2002 and actually went back to VF and VF2(and some offshoots like VFKids). Lau ended up becoming a favorite because of his aggressive combat style and huge number of methods to suddenly close distance on an opponent. I eventually ended up convincing a few other folks to play it heavily too, so now one of my buddies is quite a Wolf player, and I managed to go toe to toe with some of the best players in my area in college. It was fun times, though a lot of hard work. It definitely improved my abilities in 3D fighters in general though. VF made me better at Soul Calibur!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Tue May 26, 2015 10:54 am

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)

9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)

Pulled this game out of a SNES lot I bought recently. Played this a ton when I was a kid and then moved on to Turbo and Super. Going back to the original version I thought the slow speed would be a turn off. I was very wrong.

The slower speed didn't even seem that slow for long, especially once I got to the boss fights. Looking back now I am amazed at just how good this game still is. There's nothing I could say about this game that hasn't been said by other over the years. I played through with Ryu and had a blast.

10. Secret of Mana (SNES)

My thoughts are captured in the Together Retro thread. Short version - this game has it's flaws, but I still loved playing it. One of my favourite 16 bit games.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue May 26, 2015 11:12 am

Ack wrote: I eventually ended up convincing a few other folks to play it heavily too, so now one of my buddies is quite a Wolf player, and I managed to go toe to toe with some of the best players in my area in college. It was fun times, though a lot of hard work. It definitely improved my abilities in 3D fighters in general though. VF made me better at Soul Calibur!

Isn't that the best time when you get someone involved in trying to learn a game together? I had a friend who played through Samurai Shodown II with me at an arcade cabinet in our backwater country General Store and as adults, spent so much more time with it actually trying to master the game. Those were the best of times!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Flake

by Flake Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 am

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)

This run of New Super Mario Bros 2 is the closest I've come to 100%ing a Mario Game. I managed to get enough star coins to unlock and finish Star World and made it through all of the worlds, including the hidden ones. Coin rushed a lot, too.

This game is both one of my favorite platformers of all time and also one of the most disappointing Mario games I have ever played. In terms of level design and fun factor, this game is absolutely perfect. It seems to get overlooked a lot but I think that is a mistake. Each level seems to have been built around the player needing to totally utilize all of the abilities available in that zone to unlock everything. There is an assumption that the player will want to find the star coins and as long as the player tries to explore, they are going to have a great time.

The disappointment comes in the end game and the post game content. There simply isn't enough and the difficulty seems to critically ramp down the closer you get to the final boss. The extra final boss in Star World should have been an epic battle but it felt like the original final boss with a 1% difficulty boost. The core game was good enough that I wanted more and the lack of more colored the final experience.

But hey, a game that is great 95% of the time is still a great game.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue May 26, 2015 12:05 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Escape Goat 2 is nowhere near as good as the first. Compared to the first it is far too easy, the graphical charm has been largely replaced with a less pixely style, and even the structure of the map and stuff feels less substantive. I suppose there may be more goodies hidden in the end game content/secret rooms, but the first one kicked your ass and made an impression through the main game. This one, by comparison, was a cake walk.

I'm at a loss if you're serious.

EG 2 has more rooms, more multi-step puzzle solving, greatly enhanced graphics and sounds, and the controls are much smoother. I don't say this to argue - I just want to ensure people who haven't played either are sure to spend their money wisely.

EG 2 > $40 > Cutting toenails > EG 1

Totally serious. The "puzzles" in EG2 are super easy cheesy. There's very little that emphasizes pixel perfect platforming, and most moving parts/timing issues can be figured out with minimal effort.

The graphics in EG2 are more impressive from a technical standpoint, but I vastly prefer the aesthetic created by the more rudimentary/retro graphics of EG1. That's purely subjective, of course.

I can't find a good comparison that shows how many levels exist in each game (that is, what levels are required playing to "beat" the games and get to the credits). I know that Steam says it took me ~3.5 hours to play through EG1 and the PS4 says it only took ~2 hours to beat EG2. I doubt that I am that much better at the basic game, so either the levels are way easier, far fewer, or both.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue May 26, 2015 12:46 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Escape Goat 2 is nowhere near as good as the first. Compared to the first it is far too easy, the graphical charm has been largely replaced with a less pixely style, and even the structure of the map and stuff feels less substantive. I suppose there may be more goodies hidden in the end game content/secret rooms, but the first one kicked your ass and made an impression through the main game. This one, by comparison, was a cake walk.

I'm at a loss if you're serious.

EG 2 has more rooms, more multi-step puzzle solving, greatly enhanced graphics and sounds, and the controls are much smoother. I don't say this to argue - I just want to ensure people who haven't played either are sure to spend their money wisely.

I also far preferred the graphics from EG1; I felt a lot of the charm of the original is lost in the second entry.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also, the first two entries in the Samurai Shodown series are amazing. I can't recommend them highly enough, but you should not go into them expecting games like Street Fighter II. Each one is much more like a 2D Bushido Blade.

That is kind of what the game became for me.

I am not a good counter fighter at all. I am like 100% offense all of the time and that worked for some of the easier enemies, but Hanzo, Charlotte and the final boss utterly destroyed me with that strategy.

By the end of the game, I was picking my spots, knowing the patterns and figuring out how to damage the enemies. It became quite enthralling and a great learning experience. I got destroyed several times by the final boss and then I beat him in two consecutive matches with taking very little damage. It became like a high paced chess match.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Flake wrote:This game is both one of my favorite platformers of all time and also one of the most disappointing Mario games I have ever played.

This is my favourite of the New Super Mario Bros. series, which is a slightly controversial opinion I feel. My biggest issue with the game was that it needed a whole heap more of those cannon stages, because they were awesome.
Flake

by Flake Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Flake wrote:This game is both one of my favorite platformers of all time and also one of the most disappointing Mario games I have ever played.

This is my favourite of the New Super Mario Bros. series, which is a slightly controversial opinion I feel. My biggest issue with the game was that it needed a whole heap more of those cannon stages, because they were awesome.

Exactly this. My only complaints about the game are that I wanted more of it. I wanted Star World to be bigger and I wanted more boss fights. I especially wanted more Coin Rush levels based on the original trilogy. It really was a great game and perfectly designed to be consumed in bits.

And a slight gripe: I miss having Luigi directly accessible as the game character the way he was in the original New Super Mario Bros.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming