Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by CFFJR Sun May 03, 2015 4:51 am

Been a while since I posted in this thread. Have 5 to add, 4 of which are part of my alphabet marathon.

1.Alien Isolation - Xbox One
2.Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
3.Popful Mail - Sega CD
4.Final Fantasy - PSP
5.Super Mario 3D World - Wii U
6.Actraiser - Snes
7.Final Fantasy IV - PSP
8.Batman: Arkham Origins - Xbox 360
9.Contrast - Xbox 360
10.Deus Ex - PC


Actraiser

Game A

I played this one a little bit as a kid, but I didn't own it and never came close to finishing it.

Its a fun game. I love the action levels, and the simulation bits, simple as they are, are quite addicting.


Final Fantasy IV

The beautiful psp version marks the first time I've actually beaten this one, despite spending time with it on both the snes and ps1.

Its good to finally finish it, and I quite enjoyed it. Though some of the battles in the final dungeons grew very irritating with boss level monsters in random encounters. These fights weren't difficult, (in fact I'd say that the game as a whole is quite easy) but they were tedious time wasters in the final moments when I just wanted to get to the end.

Still, I loved the experience overall.

At the time I finished it, I was considering moving on to interlude and the After Years, but my enthusiasm for that idea has passed since then and I don't think I'll bother.


Batman: Arkham Origins

Game B
Honestly, its good on its own, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Asylum and City. I'm not the only one to say this, but combat has been tweaked somehow in a way that I can't my finger on, and it just doesn't feel the same. Couple that with occasionally wonky controls and responses (nothing like going for a ground takedown, watching Batman do the animation while standing in place, and taking a hit because nothing freaking happened) and it often became frustrating. Its hard to go from the perfection of City to the flawed experience of Origins.

Still, I enjoyed the game enough to complete it 3 times (and the Cold Cold Heart DLC, which I really liked), including the die and your save is gone I Am the Night mode. Lots of cool fights, some interesting side quests, a snowy backdrop, good times.


Contrast

Game C

I bought this 2 Christmases ago and never got around to playing it, so there we go. A fun but brief puzzle game with noir style. It was done in 2 hours, but the experience was wonderful.

The puzzles play with light and shadow, and are quite simple honestly, but still enjoyable. I feel the best part of the game though is the story, and the manner in which it is told, as all but two characters are represented as shadows on the walls. Some collectables flesh things out, if you take the time to find them (easy) and read them.

Kinda glitchy and clunky, but its not a game that requires a lot of precision, so that gets a pass. I liked it.

Its worth noting that my girlfriend was on her way to bed when I started this one up, but saw the first minutes and ended up watching the whole game with rapt attention. I think she liked it more than I did, and she never even touched the controller. :lol:


Deus Ex

Game D

There is an early game spoiler in this text. Just putting that out there.

Deus Ex has been something of a white whale for me the past couple of years. I could just never get the motivation to continue after starting. This time around, I managed to push through, and I've discovered what my problem was.

The beginning, maybe the first fifth of the game, sucks. Its tedious and annoying and it put me off multiple times.

But once you get past that, once you learn bits from Paul Denton about what's really going on and break away from UNATCO, suddenly things get interesting. The story improves, and the missions get a lot more fun.

There are things here I don't like, such as the often unnecessarily large areas that don't actually hold much, the stupid AI, and the stat system that doesn't really seem to matter.

But those are made up for by the interesting world, cool missions and areas, all the little details, and some fine music.

All that said, the level of hype that Deus Ex receives from its fans is mind boggling. Folks often talk about this game as though its a life changing experience.

Its not.

In fact, forgive me for using the "O" word, but its probably the most overrated game I've ever played.

But! Don't get me wrong. I did like it a lot. For me, it just ended up being an acquired taste.

For anyone curious, I went for the Dark Age ending. There really wasn't any alternative as far as I was concerned. :)
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22570
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by MrPopo Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 am

the stat system that doesn't really seem to matter.

Ok, I need to take issue with this point because it's completely wrong. The way you invest your skill points and aug upgrades makes a big difference in how you approach the levels.

I, for one, welcomed our new AI overlords.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18911
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 03, 2015 10:00 am

Nice work finishing Brandish, Xumy. I still need to try that remake myself - but the "collector" in me is waiting until I own the actual PSP game.

And CFFFFGHYTRANMA1/2R, I had no idea you were doing an alphabet thing. ActRaiser is a classic I still have yet to complete. Some day.
mas
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: ma

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by mas Sun May 03, 2015 11:32 am

The other day during my week at home I actually beat a game. It was justice league heroes for the xbox. My only question is that people say i f I go thru the game again in superhero mode and I beat it I can get Supergirl as a character to choose. Any truth to that on xbox version or is that only on PSP?
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by CFFJR Sun May 03, 2015 2:13 pm

MrPopo wrote:
the stat system that doesn't really seem to matter.

Ok, I need to take issue with this point because it's completely wrong. The way you invest your skill points and aug upgrades makes a big difference in how you approach the levels.

I, for one, welcomed our new AI overlords.


Well what I mean is, the game already does give you a variety of options for how to approach things, and it doesn't seem to allow you to get stuck. You can always find the tools or route you need to progress.

Which is a good thing of course, because it would suck to put yourself in a corner, but it made me feel like the skills are there to say "look, its also an rpg!" rather than being vital to your success.

But hey, maybe one can chalk that up to my inexperience with the game. I know its possible to beat it without ever killing anyone, so there's certainly some depth there that comes out more with multiple runs and familiarity.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And CFFFFGHYTRANMA1/2R, I had no idea you were doing an alphabet thing. ActRaiser is a classic I still have yet to complete. Some day.


I am indeed. Alienjesus and I talked about it quite a bit earlier in the year and I had to give it a go.

Actraiser is a good one. Its also fairly short. You could knock it out in no time.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
Luke
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21077
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 am

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Luke Sun May 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Bone.

Go beat Actraiser! It's one of the best for the snes.

Do remember that no matter what you "name yourself" that "Sir" will precede it. So make yourself a good name like "Mix a lot" or "Loin" as you will be called "Sir Mix a lot" or "Sir Loin".
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by marurun Sun May 03, 2015 3:03 pm

CFFJR wrote:All that said, the level of hype that Deus Ex receives from its fans is mind boggling. Folks often talk about this game as though its a life changing experience.

Its not.

In fact, forgive me for using the "O" word, but its probably the most overrated game I've ever played.


You have to think of this game in context. Think of when it game out. First person shooters didn't really do what Deus Ex did before it came on the scene. The fact that there are so many options to deal with each situation, that your choices have impact on the game world, was somewhat revolutionary. It is hyped so much for the doors it opened and the games it heralded as much as it is for its own merits.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Blu
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Blu Sun May 03, 2015 3:04 pm

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)
14. Pokemon Soul Silver - Nintendo DS (April 2)
15. Pokemon White 2 - Nintendo DS (April 14)
16. Pokemon X - Nintendo 3DS (April 30)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Xbox One (May 3)


Pokemon X was a refreshing entry in the series. I personally enjoyed the aspects of EXP Share not being a held item, and giving 50% to all pokemon who didn't participate in the battle. It certainly made the game easier, but it brought most of my pokemon up to lvl 70+ by the end of the game. Overall, it was a great game!

17. Call of Duty: Pew pew pew pew pew pew! This game was gorgeous, and I enjoyed it.
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by ExedExes Sun May 03, 2015 5:25 pm

marurun wrote:You have to think of this game in context. Think of when it game out. First person shooters didn't really do what Deus Ex did before it came on the scene. The fact that there are so many options to deal with each situation, that your choices have impact on the game world, was somewhat revolutionary. It is hyped so much for the doors it opened and the games it heralded as much as it is for its own merits.

^
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Erik_Twice Sun May 03, 2015 5:34 pm

CFFJR wrote:All that said, the level of hype that Deus Ex receives from its fans is mind boggling. Folks often talk about this game as though its a life changing experience.

I don't think you are wrong, it's not really a great game. It is, however, extremely influential, I would say that it's one of the three games that set what 6th and 7th generation games would be (The others being Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid).

Is it radically innovative? Well, no, it's not very different in concept from Wasteland, Planescape: Torment or other titles that came before. But it's sufficiently evolved to be its own thing - a video game - instead of a digital version of pen and paper RPGs. That's important.

That's my take on it from what I remember playing. Don't remember it too well, sadly.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests