Page 154 of 324

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 am
by prfsnl_gmr
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh, and the FDS/NES game with the same title? Completely different. And worse.


Get. Out. Ice Hockey on the NES is a great game.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 am
by BoneSnapDeez
:lol: It's not bad. Worse than Atari Ice Hockey tho.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:18 pm
by Sarge
Man, I loved Ice Hockey on NES. Way better than pretty much any of Nintendo's other early sports titles. Still very playable.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:00 pm
by BoneSnapDeez
Man finding games for 1984 and 1985 is devastatingly hard. Damn video game crash.

Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm
by Ack
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Man finding games for 1984 and 1985 is devastatingly hard. Damn video game crash.

Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?


What letters are you on for 1984 and 1985?

Is it L and M?

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:37 pm
by noiseredux
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?


I was thinking about giving Future Knight (C64) a shot.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:49 pm
by prfsnl_gmr
BoneSnapDeez wrote::lol: It's not bad. Worse than Atari Ice Hockey tho.


You are insane. I have played both, and NES Ice Hockey destroys 2600 Ice Hockey. I'm sorry. That is just the way it is. :lol:

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 pm
by BoneSnapDeez
Ack wrote:What letters are you on for 1984 and 1985?

Is it L and M?


:lol:

You know I'm not doing the letters, right?

I have a handful of games from that era, but most are for 8-bit computers. May have to fire up the C64 again!

noiseredux wrote:I was thinking about giving Future Knight (C64) a shot.


Good choice. That's a neat little platformer.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You are insane.


I won't debate this.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:22 pm
by tharimrattler
First post here, and I apologize for any spelling or format errors, I'm on mobile right now.

Battletoads. Picked this game up from a local shop last year but didn't get around to playing until about 3 weeks ago. Little background on my history with this game: played as a kid at a cousins house several times, mostly 2 player. I don't recall ever getting past stage 3 (the infamous speed racing stage). I think the ramps got me mostly, I didn't understand the mechanics. My older cousin who owned the game was practically a game wizard compared to me, I can only imagine how frustrating it was to play perfect on stage 3 but have to replay it over and over because p2 keeps dying.

Well lately I have been going back and slaying some of these games I played as a kid, and this one was just calling me. There were several times in the game where I didn't think it could get any harder but it DID. I also was surprised by the number of levels, and sheer amount of gameplay mechanics in this game. They keep it fresh and introduce something new on nearly every stage. The overall graphics and music are very good for this era, which is nice when playing the early stages over and over again to get back to the point I was currently stuck on.

Looking back, the parts that required the most repetition were stage 8, 9, and 12. Each stage required several continues just to figure out and beat, however. When I finally beat it for the first time, I got to the final boss with only 1 spare life, and with a bit of luck and patience I beat it on my first time there! I created a highlight of this part because it was truly unexpected lol.

I beat the game using the 5 life code, and warps ( warped on 1, 4, 6). Immediately after beating it for the first time I made an attempt at beating in with no warps and did it first try! Now I want to beat it no code and no warps.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes games from this era, and especially if you like a challenge. Excellent game, and rewarding. Although it is a 2 player game, I would recommend playing 1 player. If 2 like want to play, rotate after each continue on 1 player.

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:20 pm
by BogusMeatFactory
tharimrattler wrote:First post here, and I apologize for any spelling or format errors, I'm on mobile right now.

Battletoads. Picked this game up from a local shop last year but didn't get around to playing until about 3 weeks ago. Little background on my history with this game: played as a kid at a cousins house several times, mostly 2 player. I don't recall ever getting past stage 3 (the infamous speed racing stage). I think the ramps got me mostly, I didn't understand the mechanics. My older cousin who owned the game was practically a game wizard compared to me, I can only imagine how frustrating it was to play perfect on stage 3 but have to replay it over and over because p2 keeps dying.

Well lately I have been going back and slaying some of these games I played as a kid, and this one was just calling me. There were several times in the game where I didn't think it could get any harder but it DID. I also was surprised by the number of levels, and sheer amount of gameplay mechanics in this game. They keep it fresh and introduce something new on nearly every stage. The overall graphics and music are very good for this era, which is nice when playing the early stages over and over again to get back to the point I was currently stuck on.

Looking back, the parts that required the most repetition were stage 8, 9, and 12. Each stage required several continues just to figure out and beat, however. When I finally beat it for the first time, I got to the final boss with only 1 spare life, and with a bit of luck and patience I beat it on my first time there! I created a highlight of this part because it was truly unexpected lol.

I beat the game using the 5 life code, and warps ( warped on 1, 4, 6). Immediately after beating it for the first time I made an attempt at beating in with no warps and did it first try! Now I want to beat it no code and no warps.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes games from this era, and especially if you like a challenge. Excellent game, and rewarding. Although it is a 2 player game, I would recommend playing 1 player. If 2 like want to play, rotate after each continue on 1 player.


Hey welcome to the forums! I tis a pleasure to have you! Congratulations on beating Battletoads! I always feel that people give the game a bad rap for being too hard when in reality, a ton of games in that era were challenging. What really makes it hard is having that second player who can really mess things up for you. Playing solo though is very doable as long as you learn the levels and patterns.