Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by marurun Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am

So where should you start if you're curious about Pokemon and want the best experience?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 am

marurun wrote:So where should you start if you're curious about Pokemon and want the best experience?
I think mileage probably varies widely on this one.

My personal recommendation is always HeartGold/SoulSilver. In my opinion the original Gold/Silver (the second gen games) had the best worldmap, the best music, and the best set of new pokémon added to the additional 151. In the remake they added a lot of touches that I think built a very successful world and atmosphere, like brief full-screen artwork renderings of the environments you're walking into and letting the first pokémon in your party walk behind your character. It's the perfect marriage between the Game Boy days and what was then the current-day stuff, and it hit all the right notes for me. You can feel that it's a sincere homage to the original, and I enjoy it immensely every time I play through it.

That said, you won't be able to battle or trade with anyone over wi-fi because those servers are gone, which is a huge problem for a lot of players.

I predict other folks will recommend X/Y. That was definitely the most fun I've had with a pokémon game since HG/SS -- I didn't care for Black/White at all -- and there are the huge perks of being able to customize your trainer character, connect with an active online community, and so on. You can also hand-feed your pokémon and pat them when they do well in battle. :mrgreen: The game is set in a France-esque region, which was cool and different, but I missed the Japanese flavor of HG/SS. That's just me, though.

I haven't played the Sapphire/Ruby remakes, so I can't speak to those beyond the footage I saw on YouTube of someone's playthrough, which did look seriously fun.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 am

marurun wrote:So where should you start if you're curious about Pokemon and want the best experience?

To be honest I want to say yellow, it's not as feature packed as the newer titles or even have as many pokemon to get as the newer ones but honestly it's great for what it is(I had all intentions of finally sitting down and beating that one this year too but I need to track down another copy or find where the heck mine went). I really don't think there's a bad starting point main series wise...but yellow is great even for being the technical third game(combo of red and blue, but sorta played from ash's perspective). The odd thing though it seems like from what I've heard they've brought back the pokemon following you in more recent titles which is the big reason I loved yellow, it was great having pikachu follow you around. After that silver/gold/crystal isn't a bad idea either(and sadly I got the all three starters save hack to work on that one...what can I say I love the idea of having all three on it...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:23 am

I would actually say FireRed or LeafGreen (remake of the first game) as it's a great introduction and doesn't overwhelm you with Pokemon. Has a nice, more modern interface over the Game Boy games. The first generation, Red/Blue/Yellow, is a true classic.

I recommend starting off with it over HeartGold because the second half of HeartGold basically goes through the region of the first game with some stuff changed around, so that would basically spoil the whole first game.

IMO after the second generation, the series starts to get convoluted and bloated.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 am

I'm so glad I never got into shinies. A full living Pokedex in Y is enough for me.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:40 am

MrPopo wrote:I'm so glad I never got into shinies. A full living Pokedex in Y is enough for me.
I'm only into it because I love the process of shiny chaining. I'm not a fan of soft resetting or random-encountering, but I've done it for the truly special species. My shiny anorith is my baby.

Also, dang, full pokédex. That I have never done -- not even in the original days.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:53 am

Not to be the guy who doesn't help at all, but literally any of the main series games are great places to start, they're all great.

Some things to note though:

1. Working backwards in the series will make things feel dated when you get to them. That's fine if you can handle that, but the games added a lot of features and refinements each generation that can make some of the older games feel restrictive.

2. Generation 1-4 all had a third version of the game which added some extra features and was basically the definitive version in each gen - those being Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. They might be the ones worth picking up in each generation if you haven't bought any yet. The remakes (Fire Red/Leaf Green, Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire) don't have third versions, so either of those will do!

3. Generation 5 doesn't have a third version, instead it has sequels - Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels to Black 1 and White 1, and you should play both.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is a modern remake of the 1990 Sega Genesis platformer. It looks great, and the game's atmosphere an presentation reminded me a bit of Sony's sublime platformer, Puppeteer. It also contols perfectly, but it is very easy and very short. The difficulty spikes way up at thr final boss, however, and there are lots of collectibles to keep dedicated players busy. In sum, I enjoyed it - and my children enjoyed watching it - so I recommend it to anyone looking for a charming, if exceedingly basic, platformer.

My wife and I also finished up our co-op run of Castle Crashers this weekend. Lots of you have already played this game; so, I will just say that Castle Crashers is a fantastic beat-em-up. It oozes personality; it is tremendously fun; and we both enjoyed it immensely. (Also, the ending is just great.) I suspect we will come back to this one occassionally to fill out our armory, max out our characters' stats, unlock more characters, find more animal friends, and generally just have fun with this great game. I highly recommend it.

BONUS: My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party (NDS)

I purchased a pink Nintendo DS Lite for my daughter earlier this month, and on Saturday morning she beat her first game without any assistance from her parents. (I am so proud of her!) In My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party, you complete mini-games and search Ponyville to find 20 presents and 12 puzzle pieces. The game requires some reading, and my dughter was able to put her new reading skills to use completing the game. Better yet, she genuinely enjoyed the experience, and I will have to find another game for her soon. (Most of the games in my collection are still too hard for her...If anyone has suggestions for Nintendo DS games a six-year-old girl will enjoy, please let me know.)
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:57 pm

When I was six I beat the original Legend of Zelda. No more coddling her.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

MrPopo wrote:When I was six I beat the original Legend of Zelda. No more coddling her.

Mega Man 2 and 3 when I was 6. It's time she goes hardcore.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming