Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by TSTR Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

Yeah, I googed it and it's apparently an issue with the Steam version. Oh well, whatevs.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:27 pm

It happened to me as well. I ended up cheating in the runes to get to Shub's pit.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Finished up Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

You know, there were concerns over whether Nintendo could spin a complete game off of those minigames in Super Mario 3D World. Those concerns were completely unfounded. I very much got my money's worth. They were nice enough to make it $40, and I probably got at least 15 hours out of it. I've still got some content that I need to go through. There are a few bonus stages, and at some point, I need to think about potentially getting an amiibo for the little bit of extra content in there.

Graphically, it's as good-looking to me as SM3DW was. Very nicely designed, great artistic style, just a pleasure to look at. Who needs next-gen power, anyway?

Y'all probably already know that the primary conceit is to only let Toad walk, run, and pluck stuff, and that's pretty much the extent of his moveset. No jumping at all. Somehow, it all works, the diorama-style stages are nice puzzles, and they get particularly tricky if you go for all the optional objectives. Snagging the gems is the first step up from getting the Star, and hitting the secondary ones generally requires some mastery of that particular stage.

All those stages are pretty bite-sized, too. It's almost a game that I think could work even better in a handheld format. Wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on whatever Nintendo's next handheld is at all, either in remade or new levels form.

Anyway, fun stuff all around. Probably going to move on to Rainbow Curse now, can never have too much cute stuff! ;)
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:31 pm

TSTR wrote:6. Project X Zone (3DS)

Project X Zone
PxZ is a rather easy take on a strategy RPG, filled with crossover characters from Sega, Namco, and Capcom. The "strategy" elements themselves are mostly absent, replaced by a simple process of move, attack, heal, rinse, repeat. This leads battle to border on tedium at times (especially late-game), only relieved by the interjection of lighthearted conversation between the wide array of characters and the admittedly flashy, well animated attack sequences.

And those attack sequences are actually the most fun part of the game. In a nod to fighting game mechanincs, battles take place through a simple, yet engaging timing/execution sequence where you rack up huge numbers of hits by properly timing attacks with the game's assist system. We're talking well over 100 hits most every time. If that doesn't grab you, then not much else probably will.

Which leads me to my biggest complaint: the game is way too long. I spent 63 hours of playtime over 41 chapters. I wish it was more like half that. The story gets dragged on through repetitive text sequences that all pretty much go like this:

Good Guy: What are you doing here?
Bad Guy: Hahahaha, you'll find out later.

Eventually you do find out. Much later. Payoff wasn't really worth it, though.

I agree 100% with your assessment of Project X Zone. I couldn't get into the battle system and the occasional amusing quip between characters wasn't enough to keep me interested.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm still only about halfway through Project X Zone because it is definitely way too long.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:36 pm

It definitely takes some determination to push through. I remember being at like Chapter 20 and looking up the total number. :shock:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)

Shifting World in a puzzle/platformer for the Nintendo 3DS, and I both loved it and hated it.

The game is often infuriating. The jump controls are unresponsive, and the horrible controls, coupled with the game's poor design, results in both unpredictable deaths and a tremendous amount of frustration. The game's map is horribly designed, full of icons obscuring many of its salient features, and almost completely useless. The game makes poor use of the 3DS's 3D effect; the soundtrack (which should have been ska given the games stark black-and-white checker pattern aesthetic) never varies; and the last few levels are littered with bugs. (One allowed my character to jump entirely out of the map near the end of an exceptionally difficult level and another resulted in instant, unpredictable, and unavoidable death.) The game also lacks any sort of checkpoint system; so, all of these unpredictable and unavoidable deaths forced me to replay long segments of the game. Finally, the game's 60 levels do not provide nearly enough content to justify its $30 price. (Thankfully, I purchased my copy for $5.)

Nonetheless, I ended up enjoying the game despite its long list of flaws. First, the game is exceptionally difficult, and completing each level felt like a genuine accomplishment. Second, the game's mechanics are fascinating. Your character "shifts" o navigate each of the game's levels, and whenever he does so, he flips the levels map 180 degrees, turns negative spave into positive space, and turns positive space into negative space. (Accordingly, to climb a ledge, your character "shifts" the ledge into negative space and rotates the map 180 degrees, falls to the "top" of the ledge, and then "shifts" the ledge back to positive space rotated 180 degrees.) The game also contains portals that "shift" negative space to positive space and vice-versa without rotating the map. It contains buttons that rotate the map 90, 180, or 270 degrees. Finally, your character eventually learns to flatten the world into two dimensions to create platforms, destroy positive space, and close portals. Any one of these mechanics would have been enough for a one puzzle-platforming game, but combining them resulted in one of the most challenging and fascinating puzzle-platformers on any system.

In sum, the game is both wonderfully designed and technically inept. Ironing out a few technical issues and allowing me to zoom in on the map and pan around each level would have improved the game tremendously, and in light of the game's multiple technical issues, I really cannot recommend it to anyone. If, however, you are looking for a true difficult puzzle-platforming challenge - and if you find a copy of the game for a good price - you may want to give Shifting World a shot.

ExedExes wrote:6. *NEW* The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC) (April 5)

Escape from Butcher Bay is an excellent game. It is one of my very favorite games on the Xbox, and I am glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:45 pm

I beat Top Gear Rally for the Nintendo 64!

I recently picked this game up for about $5, so my expectations were rather low along with hearing very little about the game. However, I was rather pleasantly surprised. The racing is fun and exciting and never got too boring. The music was unique and not too bad to listen to. I really like the different cars and courses as they both varied and different from one another. The graphics are good, but some edges can be clearly seen. Handling could be better and it was annoying for your car to do weird things when not hitting the side of a wall especially if you hit the side of a mountain. Also, the races were a bit too long, but nothing too irritating. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and would be a good pick for any hardcore driving fan.
marurun

by marurun Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 pm

MrPopo wrote:I'm really on the fence about the three Gameboy games. I've watched some gameplay on Youtube and they don't seem very interesting, but maybe I just didn't see enough.

The 3 original GB games, the 3 GBA games, or the 3 DS games?

I can only speak to the GBA games, but I'd be happy to fill you in if you're interested.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:02 pm

marurun wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I'm really on the fence about the three Gameboy games. I've watched some gameplay on Youtube and they don't seem very interesting, but maybe I just didn't see enough.

The 3 original GB games, the 3 GBA games, or the 3 DS games?

I can only speak to the GBA games, but I'd be happy to fill you in if you're interested.

The original GB games. I own and have beaten all the GBA and DS games.
Return to General Gaming