Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Fragems Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:
Fragems wrote:Awesome platformer. Basically this game does Sonic better then sega currently does :lol: .

"This cake tastes better than shit" - Fragems :lol:

Yeah bad phrasing on my part :lol: . Freedom Planet is comparative to the quality of Sonic in it's hayday on the Genesis.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:43 am

And Freedom Planet is down. I'm gonna copy the text I wrote in a exuberant stupor for my Steam review last night. A lot of this was informed by some of the discussion here, naturally!

*prerecorded message begins in 3...2...1...*

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never really been a huge Sonic fan. They're well put together, fun games, but I've always cottoned to Mega Man and Mario a bit more. So I was intrigued by this game, but wasn't expecting it to get its hooks in.

Boy, was I wrong.

See, it's not really just Sonic, there's elements of all sorts of games in there, from Mega Man X to Gunstar Heroes to Rocket Knight. And it's all fun stuff. I love having a melee attack to use, as opposed to hopping and bopping. I generally used Lilac, and it dawned on me that to some degree, there was some similarity between the feel of her attacks and Zero in Mega Man X4. It's really good stuff.

Graphically, it's a really nice looking game. Lots of creative little flourishes that probably wouldn't have made it on the Genesis, although stuff like Ristar came close. It's more like a long-lost Saturn game, and this would have been exceptionally well received had it debuted on the Saturn.

Having multiple characters certainly improves the replay value, especially since each character has a couple of unique stages. Not to mention they're different enough to change how things feel even in the overlapping stages.

The soundtrack is also very much praiseworthy. Lots of upbeat, rockin' tunes.

The story has been much maligned, but I quite enjoyed it. Is it rocket science? Of course not. It's going for a Saturday morning cartoon vibe, and outside of a few rather dark sequences, it nails it. I found most of the voice acting well done as well.

If the game makes any missteps, it's that it gets pretty brutally hard towards the end. The final boss, in particular, saw me drop around 30 lives before I finally sussed out the pattern. I'm pretty sure I can repeat it at this point, but if you don't like tough, pattern-based bosses, you may find yourself frustrated.

Anyway, if you like Sonic, you might like this game. If you positively ADORE Sonic, you might not like it, as it sprinkles in so many other elements that it becomes far more than a Sonic clone. For me, that makes it fantastic, and well worth playing. Two thumbs up, and definitely looking forward to a sequel!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 pm

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)

Bone vs. The Golden Age.

Dig Dug
Perhaps you're living underground and have never played Dig Dug. Allow me to explain.

The game stars a little man, also named Dig Dug, carrying an air pump. He digs through a landscape and must eliminate all monsters to advance to the next round. Monsters can be destroyed by inflating them with air until they pop (this disturbed me as a kid) or by crushing them will loosened rocks. The last monster in each stage may also attempt to escape.

There are two distinct enemy types. The Pookas are little orange guys who simply move back and forth. The Fygars are dragons that can emit streams of fire. Enemies are generally restricted to air pockets that have already been dug into the soil, but they may also occasionally turn into "ghosts" and float right through the dirt.

The game may seem straightforward at first, but there are some tactics to be employed here. For instance, it's possible to run through enemies that have been stunned by the first couple of pumps. Dig Dug can also dig very closely to an enemy-occupied air bubble, creating enough space to shoot his pump through but not enough space for the enemies to exit. In later levels the enemies move very quickly. It becomes beneficial to lure several into a conga line and then crush them under a rock simultaneously.

So is it fun? Well, it is initially. The first loop (12 levels) has a great mix of balance and strategy. It gets tedious after that. And later areas are so frantic and tough that it feels like one must "exploit" the game to get through them, rather than simply playing well. Whatever the case, Dig Dug is worth at least a quick 12 stage run-through. It's main "imitator", Mr. Do!, is a much better game overall.

Phoenix
Played this bad boy twice. First an (emulated) arcade version on Taito Legends and then a port.

Phoenix is a fixed shooter much like Space Invaders and Galaxian. What's notable about Phoenix is that it features five distinct levels before looping, as opposed to featuring the "same" level time after time with slight variations in speed and difficulty. This style was imitated successfully by Midway's Gorf one year later.

In the game the player takes command of a spaceship battling malicious birds. Levels 1 and 2 feature small diving birds while levels 3 and 4 are inhabited by giant aggressive phoenices. Stage 5 is home of the mothership - a very early video game boss - plus a bunch of bird cohorts. Two action buttons are used - one for firing and one for the shield, which can only be used periodically. While the shield is up the player's ship becomes immune and certain enemies will perish if they come into contact with it. However, the shielded player is forced to remain stationary and bad timing will result in a quick death as soon as the shield disappears.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. The controls are smooth, enemies look freakishly awesome, and there's even some classical music thrown into the mix.

Phoenix's only port was on Atari 2600, handled by Atari themselves. It's quite a good conversation. The music is gone and enemy numbers have been scaled back (the final boss no longer has cronies but shoots way more bullets himself), but otherwise its quite faithful to the arcade original. Initially I thought the shield mechanic was removed, but I'm just an idiot (I can see you nodding). It's activated by pulling the joystick down.

Pleiads
Pleiads is the sequel to Phoenix. It looks and plays very similarly. Many graphics appear to be reused, though the backgrounds are much more detailed. This time the mothership level isn't the final one, as the player must then navigate home while avoiding a strong gravitational pull. There's even something of a rudimentary ending cutscene with fireworks! Overall this is a much easier game than Phoenix. Enemies aren't nearly as aggressive, more lives are allocated to the player, and the mothership battle is a piece of cake.

The one person who reads my posts here may be wondering how in the hell Phoenix is found on Taito Legends while its sequel is part of Tecmo Classic Arcade. After doing some research I discovered that both games are actually American in origin, and that Taito and Tecmo respectively acquired publishing rights. I love discovering weird little retro gaming factoids like this.

Kangaroo
No arcade version this time. Sunsoft compilations never made it to the States, and I'm not sure if Kangaroo was included on one anyway.

Atari ported the game to their three earliest systems. I also have the 5200 version but I'd hate to dig that console out of storage just to find out that Kangaroo is barely playable with that joke of a joystick.

Moving on, the 2600 game isn't bad! Gameplay is similar to Donkey Kong. The player takes control of a mother kangaroo trying to reach the top floor of each level, where her joey is being held captive by monkeys.

The monkeys crawl all around the stages too. They throw fruit at Mommy Kang, who can either jump over or duck under the produce. Thankfully she has an offensive ability - she can punch the monkeys! It's pretty hilarious and I have to wonder if this has ever been observed in nature. Unless one is shooting for a high score it's actually easiest to just flee from the monkeys to complete the stages as fast as possible.

The most difficult aspect of the game is the jumps. Controls are a bit stiff and pixel-perfect precision is required for a few of these. There's also fall damage, so any missed jump will result in death. And in classic video game fashion the death animation occurs in midair, not when the kangaroo hits the ground.

All said, this is a fun little game. Not as good as Donkey Kong, but a still a worthy early platformer.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Hmmm, I don't think Dig Dug "loops" in the sense that you've experienced all the gameplay by the end of 12 levels. There are too many substantive changes that take place between what you are calling "the loop" and the kill screen...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:15 pm

The scenery of level 13 essentially matches that of level 1. "After level 12" is also where the one walkthrough on GameFAQs places the loop, for what that's worth. I also consulted an attorney (prfsnl_gmr) because I can't see the stage colors - and he said 12 as well. Lastly, I have found YouTube Longplays that use 12.

But I also agree with you, the enemy behavior continues to evolve and one must keep playing to see everything. In any event, I continued to play waaaaaaay beyond level 12 (my daughter didn't want me to quit) - that's simply the bare minimum in my mind and I was merely stating it for the benefit of others. Of course, this is all somewhat arbitrary with these old games. I guess it's a question of whether one considers it "beaten" after all the stage settings have been observed or after every enemy / pattern / whatever has been seen. I consider the former to be perfectly valid, but I also strive for the latter.

God help whatever person plays until the kill screen shows itself. I wouldn't want to do that even with save states.

I'll tackle Dig Dug II eventually. I want to 1CC it and have made it stage 27 or so on one credit.

tl;dr I don't think we really disagree on anything. And I don't think I can handle one more "is it really beaten?" discussion ever again. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 am

You should play Elevator Action.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'll tackle Dig Dug II eventually.

Skip that one and play this.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:31 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote: And I don't think I can handle one more "is it really beaten?" discussion ever again. :lol:

And I don't really want to have that discussion again...especially in this thread.

Let me ask you this, though: do you (or others) often/ever play games anymore without the intent of getting to an ending (credits, loop, 1cc, etc.)? I have...for the most part...continued to enjoy arcade games that have very tough "beat" requirements without chalking them up on the "games beaten" list. I play more shmups now, for example, than I did back when I was putting them on this list. The big difference now is, when I play them, they rarely go up here.

The same goes for golden age loopers and what not. They can still be a substantive part of your gaming time and something you can enjoy, even if you sit down to play them with the understanding that they won't end up on this list. In fact, you may enjoy them more if you understand that they likely won't...

In other words, I am just wondering if you (or anyone else) have made playing decisions based on whether or not you can find a way to argue that the game belongs on this list (e.g. "I'll pick Phoenix because if I hit the loop I'm 'done' and thus can count it")...or if you are letting the fact that you can argue for a way to post it up here keep you from ever truly working towards kill screens and what not.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:37 am

Oh no, I still have many upon many hours of "Games Played" that I haven't listed here.

To still use Dig Dug as an example, I invested some time into the Atari 2600 port, but since every level looks downright randomized I couldn't make any determination about its "doneness" and thus it wasn't listed.

I've also sank tons of time into games like Wizard of Wor, Pac-Man, Yars' Revenge, Galaxian, Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Joust, Berzerk, and Robotron 2084 (and tons I'm forgetting) without ever listing them here.

So no, I don't go out of my way to find beatable games or "list-padders" or whatever. But if I do find myself invested in a game I will of course research it to see if there is any proper end in sight or how I can reach it.

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'll tackle Dig Dug II eventually.

Skip that one and play this.

Looks cool, but I don't own it. :?

noiseredux wrote:You should play Elevator Action.

:lol:

That's Taito, yes?

I'm sure I have it on some compilation. Never been crazy about it though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:16 am

dsheinem wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote: And I don't think I can handle one more "is it really beaten?" discussion ever again. :lol:

And I don't really want to have that discussion again...especially in this thread.

Let me ask you this, though: do you (or others) often/ever play games anymore without the intent of getting to an ending (credits, loop, 1cc, etc.)? I have...for the most part...continued to enjoy arcade games that have very tough "beat" requirements without chalking them up on the "games beaten" list. I play more shmups now, for example, than I did back when I was putting them on this list. The big difference now is, when I play them, they rarely go up here.

The same goes for golden age loopers and what not. They can still be a substantive part of your gaming time and something you can enjoy, even if you sit down to play them with the understanding that they won't end up on this list. In fact, you may enjoy them more if you understand that they likely won't...

In other words, I am just wondering if you (or anyone else) have made playing decisions based on whether or not you can find a way to argue that the game belongs on this list (e.g. "I'll pick Phoenix because if I hit the loop I'm 'done' and thus can count it")...or if you are letting the fact that you can argue for a way to post it up here keep you from ever truly working towards kill screens and what not.

I choose what I play based on what I want to play, and determine when (or if) I'm calling them beat based upon what I want to achieve in them when I do so. I'll be adding 3D Space Harrier soon, and yes, I used credits to finish it, but (spoilers) I feel I've got what I wanted to out of the game as I've played through all the levels twice over and fought the secret boss. That's enough for me.

I definitely don't try to pad my list, but when I experience a new game, I deifnitely look for a way to call it beat if it's debateable - I want to talk about it on the thread. But I don't like to just do it arbritrarily - it's hard to talk about if you barely experienced it. I also will continue to play games that I may have used credits and whatnot for.

I also avoid putting games I've already beaten on my list unless the port offers something new or different - this list is about sharing new experiences for me.

TL;DR: No, I don't put things on to pad my list, and if I enjoy the game I will put more time in to learn the extra nuances. If I don't though, I'm happy to call it beat and move on.
Return to General Gaming