9. The Walking Dead: Season Two - PC
10. Transistor - PS4
11. Shadow Warrior - PS4
12. Assassin's Creed Unity - PC
13. Dying Light - PC
14. Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark - PS4

Total Games for 2015: 14

Dying Light - PC
This is pretty much what I was hoping to get from the original Dead Island, which was an okay, but pretty average game. Dying Light steps it up at every point, the engine looks and plays great, the addition of the free running to an open world game gave it the freedom you feel in Assassins Creed titles, actually that is the best way I can describe it.

Assassins Creed + Far Cry 3 + Dead Island = Dying Light

Really enjoyable story as well.

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark - PS4
This game gets a pretty bad wrap, so much so that I picked it up for $12 new from Kmart. Graphically it is just a better looking PS3 game and it can be pretty buggy at times, more than once I had to restart to the last checkpoint because something would not trigger and I could not progress.

However if you liked either of the Cybertron games (which I have now gone back and bought after playing this), I have no doubt you will enjoy Rise of the Dark Spark.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by REPO Man Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 pm

J T wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
noiseredux wrote:other Dave wouldn't let me count it remember? He hates me and wants me to suffer

Don't feel bad. He hates all of us equally and wants us all to suffer together.

Dsh is like the Grumpy Cat of racketboy. He's cynical, miserable, and misanthropic, but we all find him adorable anyway.

But does he sound like Aubrey Plaza? Probably not.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:12 am

1. Devil's Attorney (Android) (strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360) (action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360) (kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) (JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360) (cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) (action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS) (dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS) (action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360) (cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System) (platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii) (adventure / simulation) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES) (platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES) (platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC) (FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom) (maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom) (horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC) (FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES) (puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES) (action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC) (FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC) (action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube) (combat flight sim) (3/10)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is highly overrated due to two factors. It was a launch title with amazing graphics (for its time) and it is a Star Wars game. In reality Rogue Squadron II is a glorified tech demo that fails miserably at being an actual entertaining experience. Factor 5 obviously rushed this game's development hoping to capitalize on the GameCube launch cycle, and in doing so made a very small game. In order to artificially lengthen the time it would take to finish (to avoid same day returns), Factor 5 chose to make Rogue Squadron II ridiculously unfair. The amount of bad game design present in this experience could fill an essay on how not to treat your player. Frankly I don't want to waste my time going over all of its faults. Besides the graphics everything else about this game just feels lazy. Honestly folks, I only beat this game without cheats purely out of spite because some guys on /v/ said I couldn't do it. (Sad but true.) I wouldn't recommend anyone else ever playing this lauded dribble, let alone finishing it. There are far better Star Wars games to play. Honestly the original Rogue Squadron was more fun than this! Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader chose the dark side, and then used Jedi mind tricks to persuade critics into thinking it was a killer app. If you've somehow managed to avoid this sadistic crud since 2001, keep doing so.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:52 am

I disagree with every thing you have said in that post. Rogue Leader was amazing; it was Rogue Squadren III where they dropped the ball with too many non-fighter parts. I've still got my all gold file on my save; the only mission that sucked to pull that off on was Endurance simply because of how goddamn long it took and the general need to do a lot of abuse of your astromech repair. Everything else just took some practice and fancy flying.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:58 am

MrPopo wrote:I disagree with every thing you have said in that post.

I agree with MrPopo's disagreement. The game is amazing, and way better than the first or third game.

That said, I haven't played it in years. I will fire it up again soon.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:28 am

dsheinem wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I disagree with every thing you have said in that post.

I agree with MrPopo's disagreement. The game is amazing, and way better than the first or third game.

That said, I haven't played it in years. I will fire it up again soon.

Yeah, I have to agree with PoPo and Ds. I liked all 3 games, but Rogue Leader is definitely the best.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 am

Triple Quadruple disagree. I think time might have clouded you memories on Rogue Squadron as well, it had some awful difficulty spikes. Rogue Leader is tough but fair, like a Russian policeman.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 am

the guys above wrote:Rogue Leader is a good game you're crazy in your crazy place.

Don't just take my dissent for it guys. Here are some quotes from gaming media during the time of release, pulled from Metacritic archives:
At times, Rogue Leader is mind-bogglingly repetitive and frustrating -Voodoo Extreme

Rogue Leader can be a little simplistic and the learning curve is insane some levels are frighteningly difficult and unfair. -Games Radar

The controls and general feel of the game are very shallow. At no point did I feel like I was in a truly 3D environment, and I never felt like I was actually cruising around in space. -GameShark

At some points, it exceeds the word challenging and becomes insanely difficult, even for the most experienced gamers. -Cloudchaser

The game does get insanely difficult near the end. -Next Generation Magazine

There are a few issues with a still unpolished camera scheme and unrefined ship physics. -IGN

The game has nothing new, nothing different, nothing innovative, and nothing that changes the gameplay from original except the targeting computer, which you are penalized for using!! -Nintendophiles

This is a hard game, and it will take you a lot of time to complete -GameCube Europe

It's bloody hard in places -Eurogamer

Replay value and game length should not and can not be interpreted from how many times it takes you to get through a mission because of the insane difficulty level. By the last few missions you are literally ready to tear your hair out. -GamePen

It's still an arcade shooter that lacks the depth of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series. -Total Video games

I can understand being enamored with Rogue Leader during the time of its release due to its sheer spectacle alone. But even in 2001 much better space shooting sims had come before it in a game design / game play aspect, even within its own franchise. Colony Wars and Wing Commander blew this game out of the stars insofar as actual good game design is concerned, years prior. I'm calling a spade a spade here.

We can agree to disagree though guys, that's fine with me. :lol: I encourage you all to go back and play the thing from scratch and have yourselves a swell ol' time. I will give Rogue Leader credit as the hardest GameCube game I've personally beaten. It takes the crown for that over when I beat F-Zero GX or Viewtiful Joe (on Adults difficulty). But those two were actual great games that I enjoyed, unlike this naked Palpatine.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 am

Exhuminator wrote: Here are some quotes from gaming media during the time of release, pulled from Metacritic archives

Selected quotes aside, Metacritic's score for the game is a 90. Of the 45 reviews, only 14 gave it less than a 90. Only 2 gave it less than an 80. That's what they call "universal acclaim".

I didn't think the game was that hard *shrug*.

I'll add that it is the 22nd highest-ranked GCN game on the site...and one of only a few highly ranked ones that isn't a Nintendo-made game or an annual sports title. Gamerankings shows very similar stats with 75 reviews..
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 am

Exhuminator wrote:
the guys above wrote:
We can agree to disagree though guys, that's fine with me. :lol: I encourage you all to go back and play the thing from scratch and have yourselves a swell ol' time. I will give Rogue Leader credit as the hardest GameCube game I've personally beaten. It takes the crown for that over when I beat F-Zero GX or Viewtiful Joe (on Adults difficulty). But those two were actual great games that I enjoyed, unlike this naked Palpatine.

I didn't play Rogue Leader til well into the 7th generation of consoles, so it's not early gen hype that made me like it.

It's also not even close to being as hard as F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe, two games I've also beaten.
Return to General Gaming