Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (WIIU)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)
45. Ittle Dew (WIIU)
46. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
47. Costume Quest (PS3)
48. Mutant Mudds Deluxe (3DS)
49. Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice (PS3)
50. Deathsmiles (360)

51. Mario Kart 8 (WIIU)
52. Quell Reflect (3DS)
53. Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (WIIU)
52. Rage of the Gladiator (3DS)
54. Electonic Super Joy (WIIU)
55. Ascent of Kings (WIIU)

Rage of the Gladiator (3DS) is the best Punch Out!! game in years. In it, you play as a prince sentenced to fight against various warriors and mythical creatures in the arena for murdering your father, the king. (Guess what? You find out who really did it when you beat the game!) Each of the battles plays like a bout in a Punch Out!! game. (That is, you dodge or block enemy attacks based on their various audio or visual tells, and then you counter with your own attacks. If you land an attack before an enemy attacks, you fill a gauge at the bottom of the screen that allows you to perform incredibly damaging combos, and you win a match when you knock the enemy down three times.) Defeating one opponent unlocks the next, and clearing a difficulty level advances the story and unlocks the next. The game also contains light RPG elements, and defeating an opponent provides you with points you can use to upgrade your skills and money you can use to purchase items and upgrade your equipment. You receive more money for dispatching opponents efficiently, and the game encourages you to replay battles for more money and a higher ranking. (Also, it is practically impossible to defeat opponents on the higher difficulty levels without upgrading your character's skills and equipment.) Finally, the game looks great, and the 3D effect is amazing. (When enemies start throwing projectiles at different speeds in the higher difficulty levels, the 3D effect is incredibly helpful for dodging those attacks.) In sum, the game certainly deserves all of its accolades, and anyone who has ever enjoyed a Punch Out!! game should give it a try.

Electronic Super Joy (WII U) is a simply spectacular 2D platformer, and it is now one of my favorite games. The game's soundtrack is spectacular; it has distinctive art direction; it is consistently funny; and it is incredibly addictive. The later levels are also incredibly difficult, however, and those who are easily frustrated may not enjoy it. (At one point, I thought that the Wii U port was glitched such that achieving one of the bonus objectives, and unlocking the bonus levels, was impossible. It isn't. It is just really, really, really hard to do.) If levels like this and bosses like this are appealing to you, then you really should give this game a shot.

Ascent of Kings (WII U) is a very easy and very short 2D indie platformer that plays and looks a lot like old MD-DOS platformers from the late 1980s. You can get through it in about 45 minutes, and the only thing that it really has going for it are its aesthetics and low price point. I had fun with it, but I really can't recommend it.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

GSZX1337 wrote:
Markies wrote:Damn, do I love Double Dash!

I think Double Dash is one of the more underrated entries in the series. I remember people shitting on this one, but I think that it has stood the test of time better than its successor on the Wii.

The second character is really silly and the rubber band effect is pretty awful, but they do not deter from a fantastic experience.

I like having the second character as it allows you to be a bit creative with the second power-up slot. It also provides a two player co-op experience. :D

My friend and I have put so many more hours in Double Dash compared to Mario Kart Wii. But, I have seen several people saying similar to things to you. Double Dash has grown better in time and I think it is because the game plays amazing well.

I watched a reviewer say that it was easier to hold items with two people and that totally makes sense. In Mario Kart 64, you had to hold the Z button to have two items at once. In Double Dash, you could save your item with that one person driving while the other person uses other items. It makes sense and I can see how it would be useful in a more competitive situation. I just never used it and the two partners didn't make much difference for me. It's neat, but it's not like a reinvention of the wheel or anything like that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:lots of crazy talk about about Layton vs Hyde

Well if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you and I have very different tastes when it comes to gaming. And there's nothing wrong with that. So while I completely disagree with your opinions about Hotel Dusk, I won't argue against them. This is all purely subjective stuff.

(PS, yes you should play Last Window, it's fantastic.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Well if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you and I have very different tastes when it comes to gaming. And there's nothing wrong with that.

:D

Exactly! I am glad someone else on here understands that we don't all have to like the same things! (If we did, life would be incredibly boring...and I wouldn't be able to say that I have exemplary taste! :lol: )
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Also, the third Professor Layton game is insanely good. I cannot recommend it highly enough. (The fourth one isn't that hot, though, but it does include a 100+ hour RPG as a bonus feature...)

Unless you live in Europe, when for some stupid reason it doesn't.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset, seeing as I already live a London Life. I bet Layton's version is better though :cry:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:I guess I shouldn't be too upset, seeing as I already live a London Life. I bet Layton's version is better though :cry:

Based on my time living in London, Professor Layton's version is undoubtedly much less expensive!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(and I wouldn't be able to say that I have exemplary taste)

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I beat Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on the Microsoft XBOX this afternoon!

This was a fun little game that I always wanted to play. When the game gets it right and you are in the zone, it is utterly amazing. Whether it is jumping from walls, climbing up poles, doing all these fancy maneuvers or killing bad guys with ease, it is flawless and it is such an exhilarating experience. However, when the camera gets in the way or you fight cheap bosses or enemies begin to pound you over and over, the feeling melts away into frustration. That is only a small amount of times and it is still a fun overall experience.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)
9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)
10. Secret of Mana (SNES)
11. McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (GEN)
12. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
13. NES Remix II(WiiU)
14. Child of Light (WiiU)
15. Thomas was Alone (Android)
16. Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon (NDS)

17. Shovel Knight (WiiU)

When this finally had a physical release I could no longer resist playing it. Got it for the WiiU as it feels like it should be on a Nintendo System.

I think most of the people on this site are already familiar with the virtues of this game. I had fun with it, for my limited play time it worked really well. The very generous checkpoints made even the toughest platforming sections palatable to my mediocre abilities. The art direction worked very well, there were numerous times where I "got" the retro reference, and they were a nice taste of nostalgia. The story was simple and did the job of carrying you forward while conforming to the nostalgic vibe.

The biggest thing here is that the game is fun, and by design I think it would have been no matter when it was released. Controls are great, if you die, it is your own fault, because if you had pressed the right buttons at the right time you wouldn't have died. The items you can buy add just the right amount of options to the game play. The boss designs are memorable and battling them tends to be enjoyable (not very difficult if you buy health upgrades and items though). You can really start to pick up their patterns quickly.

Finishing the game opens up a New Game+, DLC of a playthrough with a different character and a set of challenges, so even though the game is short I don't feel short changed. I'll be giving this one a little more of my time and attention.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC

60 hours later and I've finished the main quest of Fallout 4. A lot of sidequests were done on the way and I have a pretty pimped out arsenal, so I'm going to put it down and maybe pick it back up once the DLC hits.

Fallout 4 builds on what was done in Fallout 3 but applies some things from Skyrim. The main Skyrimism is the change in how leveling works. You still have your SPECIAL stats but there are no longer any skills. Instead, every level gives you a perk point. There is one perk per level of each SPECIAL stat, and most perks have multiple levels to them. Some are replacements for the skills (lockpicking perks, higher damage with a particular kind of weapon, etc) and others are translations of the old perks such as cannibalism and being healed by radiation. The first point in any perk merely requires you have a high enough SPECIAL score, while future points are level gated. The game gives out levels pretty consistently to fit with this new system. I was level 50 when I finished and there is no level cap. I didn't check to see if the per-level requirements go up, but if they do it's a slow curve.

The other major change is how Power Armor works. In previous games it was just the best form of armor that frequently gave a strength bonus, but in the end was just a fancy looking piece of gear that otherwise acted identical to the leather armor you got at the start. In this game it's more of a vehicle and goes for that Power Armor fantasy, and I think they nailed it. Power Armor now consists of a frame which you get in and out of and then six pieces of armor that go on top; torso, legs, arms, and helmet. The armor pieces are swappable, so as you stumble upon better pieces in the wild you can swap them out. Power Armor also requires Fusion Cores to operate. These last for a fairly long time but their scarcity at the beginning of the game keeps you out of the armor. But once I hit midgame I had enough of a stash that I was confident I could just stay in armor perpetually. One nice thing is that your companions do not require Fusion Cores to operate their Power Armor.

The addition I most enjoyed was the crafting system. It gives you a lot of flexibility to decide how you want your guns to handle; do you want to emphasize hip firing or aimed firing? Sniper rifle or up close iron sights? Automatic fire or shotty laser? There are levels to many of the modifications, so the high damage mod comes in tiers that you unlock as you get perk points in the appropriate modification perk, so you still get a sense of progression there. You can forgo all this and hope to get by on random drops as well. Most weapons let you craft the basic parts without any perk points, so if you find a good gun you can replace the high end mods with low end ones, then install the low end mods on the frame of your choice. The nice thing is that the perk points are only required to craft the mods from scratch; installing one in your possession doesn't require any skills.

The other addition that was pretty meh in my opinion was the settlement management. I'm sure it appeals to a certain type of personality, but I just utilized the fact that I could set up shops to get caps and resources rather than having to hoof it to the market every time I wanted to do some crafting.

Also, the game has several awesome moments that I won't spoil.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.