Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

The camera screwed me once or twice, but otherwise I didn't have problems with the controls nor the puzzles. There were even a couple that took a minute to figure out, but when I did it was one of those good lightbulb moments. They usually involved the grapple line that they added a bunch of functionality to.

But yeah, I'm a man on a mission. I'm halfway through the Zerg campaign of Brood War from earlier this year; I figure I can knock that off in the next couple evenings. Then I'm going to do my best to knock out Bloodlines. If I'm good I'll do that Friday night (busy Wednesday and Thursday). Then I'll have four more to go to hit 100 by the end of the year with almost three full weeks available.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

So I am trying to get back up on that horse...

I haven't stopped playing games entirely over the past few months, but I haven't really been able to list a game on this thread since mid-September. That game, Destiny's "The Taken King" expansion basically continued to take up the vast majority of my gaming time until the end of October. I wouldn't say I completely took November off from gaming, but I really played very little of anything last month :shock:

This month, I am hoping to make up for that delay by churning out some titles on the quick. In addition to some shorter games, I also hope to get through at least a few of the bigger releases for the year so that I have some sense of a "top 5 of 2015" list by the end of the year. I also need a bit more retro on the list, so hopefully I can squeeze a couple of older games in too...

Games Beaten 2015
First 50 of the year:
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4
Mad Riders - PS3
Destiny: House of Wolves - PS4
Escape Goat 2 - PS4
Tower of Guns - PS4
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PC
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - PS3

NotGTAV - - PC
Flower - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture- PS4
Towerfall - PS4
Cyberbots - PS1
Battletoads (Arcade) - Xbox One
Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious - Xbox One
Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions - Vita
Rocket League - PS4
Far Cry 4 - PS4
Her Story - PC
Destiny: The Taken King - PS4
Retro City Rampage - Vita *new*
Ultraflow - iOS *new*
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - Vita *new*

Total: 66

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

Retro City Rampage never clicked when I first tried it back when it came out, but this time it did and I moved through it in a few settings. The humor often misses, the game steeply scales in difficulty at the end, and the soundtrack is overrated...but the controls feel spot on and the game feels at home on the handheld. All in all I enjoyed my time with it and am interested in the team's upcoming sequel.

Ultraflow is a really beautiful example of minimalist game design done right. If you enjoy monochrome puzzle games or games that feel native to touch controls but haven't checked it out, I think it is worth your time.

I am sure many of you believe that there is a special section of hell designed for people like me who prefer Sony's Smash Bros. rip-off to the real deal, but I can now say that I enjoy PS All Stars on both the PS3 AND on the Vita more than I have ever enjoyed any previous version of Smash Bros. That said, I do have the new 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros games on the agenda for this month, so I will have to see if Nintendo has "caught up" :twisted: .
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Loom

Way back in 1995 I borrowed a copy of the Loom from one of my cousins in one of the epic Lucasarts Adventure multipacks. While I enjoyed playing it, I never did beat it (Monkey Island was also in the pack). Well yesterday my wife was off with her mother and I was laid out with a pinched nerve in my back, so when I tired of Warlords Battlecry 3, I loaded up Loom. Three hours later, I closed Loom. I had vague memories of getting out of the first area but got stuck because I realized I needed a pad and paper for the chords. So I fired up a guide that had all the variants of chords listed and went with that. I did not open a guide, just powered through. There is one thing that allows you to go into a Lucasarts adventure with untamed bravado - they will not let you get in an unwinnable situation, so I just powered through the world like I was on a unguided tour and it was awesome.

Loom is such a unique game. I am not super musically inclined - despite having been a sound engineer chords are a mystery to me, but the chords are also color coded in game (funny enough, like a harp) so the game is easily playable by anyone. It uses standard Lucasarts Adventure game logic but no inventory. Sadly it is not as good as the other Lucasarts adventure titles. It was supposed to be part of a trilogy, has a couple parts that have a decent bit of backtracking (it needs the fast travel to edge of map that they introduced in The Dig), and the stark change of gameplay from the other SCUMM titles it is noticeably boggier as a title. Thats not to say it is not a great game, a bad Lucasarts SCUMM game is still a masterpiece, just slightly flawed.

I recommend everyone giving it a go, it is a great way to spend an evening.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I enjoyed Underworld, but there was some real engine jankiness going on under the hood. I had several times where she would literally glitch herself off a handhold. Most of the experience was fine, and I enjoyed it, but the technical problems were really a bummer.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

fastbilly1 wrote:I recommend everyone giving it a go, it is a great way to spend an evening.

LOOM is awesome. It's a truly unique adventure that is as much artistic expression as it is a game. I really enjoyed its plot and characters. It really sucks you into its world. The music based magic and puzzles were a treat.

http://www.gog.com/game/loom
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

dsheinem wrote:I am sure many of you believe that there is a special section of hell designed for people like me who prefer Sony's Smash Bros. rip-off to the real deal, but I can now say that I enjoy PS All Stars on both the PS3 AND on the Vita more than I have ever enjoyed any previous version of Smash Bros. That said, I do have the new 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros games on the agenda for this month, so I will have to see if Nintendo has "caught up" :twisted: .

Look at Hipster Dave strolling into town on this horse. I say we make fun of him don't you think guys? Let's dogpile him and make him play as Jigglypuff.

(He/She/Ze's my main. A fantastic character.)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I recommend everyone giving it a go, it is a great way to spend an evening.

LOOM is awesome. It's a truly unique adventure that is as much artistic expression as it is a game. I really enjoyed its plot and characters. It really sucks you into its world. The music based magic and puzzles were a treat.

http://www.gog.com/game/loom

I third this. In fact, I would argue the TurboGrafx-CD port is one of the better versions of the game. True, the graphics seem to have been based on the EGA version (but touched up a little), but the CD music is great!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I beat X-Men on the Sega Genesis this evening.

Before I was a teenager, I was a giant X-Men fan. I adored the cartoon on Saturday Mornings and I was just getting into collecting comics. About this time, my friends and I all had Genesis' and a friend of mine had X-Men on it. Well, I borrowed the game and we kind of stopped being friends, so I had a free game.

X-Men on the Genesis...is not really good. The music sounds like a trash compactor. The hit detection is weird. The enemies are cheap and frequent. It's much like the original TMNT where you have 4 characters who act as your lives. The bosses are impossible to hit without taking advantage.

With saying that, this is the first X-Men game that you made you feel like a X-Men. It was great seeing all these characters that I know and loved. This was the best representation of them in the video game. It's not an awful game, but it is not very good at all.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Robot Ninja Haggleman (from Retro Game Challenge for DS), but I used the cheat code where at the game over screen, you hold left and press START to resume on the level you were on, in lieu of the beginning.

Also beat the final boss on RNH2, but I used the level select.

Now I just gotta beat the two Rally King games (hate them!) and Star Prince.

Wish GameCenter CX: Arino no Chōsenjō 2 was officially localized, but at least there's a fan translation (and a few places iirc that sell DS repros).

Hey... if the 3DS eShop can have downloadable 3DS titles, could they also do the same for original DS titles? Maybe they're leaving a 3DS port as an option on the table (which in some ways is a better alternative).
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Retro Game Challenge is one of my favorite games on DS. I think Haggleman 3 really put it over the top.

I like a lot in the sequel, too, but the RPG feels more kludged together than the last time, and the text adventure doesn't have enough flavor in the fan translation to make it interesting. I know it's an homage... but I don't feel it's a very good one.

Wiz-Man is aces, though.