Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989] *new*
Loom - PC [1990] *new*

Total: 35

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

I didn't much care for my "K" options in the alpha-by-year thing I am doing, but this was a DOS game I'd never heard of that I could play easily in DOSbox on my laptop this morning while hanging out in the living room. It is not a very good game, but it has some nice AdLib soundcard midi music and pretty solid EGA graphics. This is a "lose once and you are dead" game, so I suppose I ended up "1cc-ing" the game on my 4th or 5th try. It is an early "fighting game" that is befitting of its obscurity.

Here it how it looks :lol:

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.03.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.03.33 AM.png (43.61 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.12.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.12.20 AM.png (41.18 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.29.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.29.42 AM.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.30.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 11.30.52 AM.png (42.3 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Loom is the first SCUMM engine game I have ever finished. I loved it. The visuals were just jaw-dropping gorgeous, the story was interesting, the writing/voice acting were good, and the music was pretty sweet. I don't like click and point games because too many of them (including LucasArts titles) operate on annoying inventory systems, text based commands, pixel hunting, obtuse logic puzzles, etc. None of that was in this game, and I was thoroughly impressed. I am heading over to post some screengrabs of this one in the proper thread :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1989... K...

I thought you would have gone with this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/atari7800/585406-kung-fu-master
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:1989... K...

I thought you would have gone with this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/atari7800/585406-kung-fu-master

I debated it, but really that game is from 1984...it just took 5 years to get an inferior 7800 port :lol:
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I absolutely adore Loom, the music and atmosphere are just top notch. If you want more from the creator in that vein you should check out The Dig, which I felt was even better. Brian Moriarty is a stud.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Sarge wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I knew going in that you can't throw enemies at the screen, but that you still could grab foot soldiers by the arm and slam them back and forth. However, that move is hard to pull off. In Turtles in Time, you can just about do it whenever you feel like it (it's a great move to clear out enemies if your becoming surrounded). In Hyperstone Heist, it just seems to happen sometimes if you're close to an enemy and mash the A button.

I meant to hit on this earlier, but it's actually pretty easy to consistently pull the thrash move if you use the dashing tackle move to hit an enemy, let off the d-pad when you hit, then smash the A button. That's pretty much how I go through the entire game. :)
I was going to say this too -- the shoulder check puts you right where you need to be for the bash maneuver. I promise you, though, if you play it enough, you get a feel for where the standing spot is and you'll hit it every time, shoulder check or no. I know this because I've invested about 26297.4 hours in Hyperstone Heist. Interestingly though, I can only do it with my usual Turtle, Raphael. I get completely thrown off if I pick a different one (which is practically never, Raphael 4 lyfe).

Did you guys experiment with all the other moves, too? That's something I loved about Hyperstone Heist: I can get theatrical with my stunts for my own enjoyment. Does Turtles in Time offer that too?

Also, I want to play Ori and the Blind Forest so badly. Been intrigued for months, but it's not getting a 360 release, right?

Also also, LOOM! I haven't beaten this yet because I keep stopping halfway through for too long and then misplacing my spell scribbles. Fun story, though: at some point my previous mentor and I connected over LucasArts point-and-clicks, which surprised us both because we're thirty years apart in age. LOOM was his favorite, and it apparently had a cassette tape that came with it at launch. After he found out I was playing the game, he dug the cassette out of his closet and left it in my inbox. It's a neat and weird little piece of video game history to have. :mrgreen:

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Key-Glyph wrote:After he found out I was playing the game, he dug the cassette out of his closet and left it in my inbox. It's a neat and weird little piece of video game history to have. :mrgreen:

Cool. Once I was a little bit into the game and dug up a pdf of the manual (which mentions the tape), I found the recording - a radio drama of the back story - posted to YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Wj5GOiJYg

You can also do what I eventually did, which is to read the transcript of that drama here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/564920-loom/faqs/55563

For other Loom newbs, I'd suggest doing one or the other before you start the game or at least within the first half hour or so of play.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Key-Glyph wrote:
Sarge wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I knew going in that you can't throw enemies at the screen, but that you still could grab foot soldiers by the arm and slam them back and forth. However, that move is hard to pull off. In Turtles in Time, you can just about do it whenever you feel like it (it's a great move to clear out enemies if your becoming surrounded). In Hyperstone Heist, it just seems to happen sometimes if you're close to an enemy and mash the A button.

I meant to hit on this earlier, but it's actually pretty easy to consistently pull the thrash move if you use the dashing tackle move to hit an enemy, let off the d-pad when you hit, then smash the A button. That's pretty much how I go through the entire game. :)
I was going to say this too -- the shoulder check puts you right where you need to be for the bash maneuver. I promise you, though, if you play it enough, you get a feel for where the standing spot is and you'll hit it every time, shoulder check or no. I know this because I've invested about 26297.4 hours in Hyperstone Heist. Interestingly though, I can only do it with my usual Turtle, Raphael. I get completely thrown off if I pick a different one (which is practically never, Raphael 4 lyfe).

Did you guys experiment with all the other moves, too? That's something I loved about Hyperstone Heist: I can get theatrical with my stunts for my own enjoyment. Does Turtles in Time offer that too?

Yeah, after posting I played through the game again. I was able to do the thrash move more often. Still, I feel like it's a million times to pull off in Turtles in Time.

What exactly do you mean by "other moves"? Like the different jump attacks and whatnot? AFAIK, Turtles in Time has as many moves as Hyperstone Heist, and then some.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Key-Glyph wrote:Also, I want to play Ori and the Blind Forest so badly. Been intrigued for months, but it's not getting a 360 release, right?

Last I heard, a 360 port is still in the works. I don't believe it has a release date yet.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Dave really is a bad money.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have been playing a lot of non-beatable games recently since my kids have gotten into gaming. We have played a lot of MK8, Super Smash Bros, arcade games and retro platformers for fun with no intention of beating (ie the Sonic and Mario series).

I did finally beat my first game of 2015 and even though I own almost all of them, I beat my first Legend of Zelda game last night - LOZ: Wind Waker HD.

03/14/15 Wind Waker HD - WiiU

Wind Waker
I have had this game twice now, once for the Game Cube and now for the Wii U. When I first got it for the GC it was so different from OoT I got stuck in the first castle and gave up. Once I got the Wii U I tried it again and with a little bit of help from a boss faq to get started (using the grappling hook to take down the giant bug boss) I got the hang of it and loved it. The story was pretty cool, but at the end I was so focused on beating it I rushed through the story and was slightly dissapointed at first. That was my fault.

I now plan on playing another Zelda game, I have almost all of them (except the DS and GBC ones) I am debating on which one to play next... or maybe I'll stick to this genre and play Secret of Mana.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.