Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Meanwhile I keep rolling up 40+ hour RPGs. I'm glad this isn't a contest.

Relax, Popo. We all consider you the consummate gamer.

That's all I've got to show for my life.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Meanwhile I keep rolling up 40+ hour RPGs. I'm glad this isn't a contest.

Relax, Popo. We all consider you the consummate gamer.

That's all I've got to show for my life.

Well, that and a Portal Gun. And don't you own Han Solo in Carbonite?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

You're doing what I was several years ago. I played a lot of RPGs. I think I'm still on my NES kick coming off of Xenoblade. I put nearly 100 hours into that game!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:Well, that and a Portal Gun. And don't you own Han Solo in Carbonite?

Both true statements.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:That's all I've got to show for my life.

What about the beard? The beard counts for something man.
Sarge wrote:I think I'm still on my NES kick coming off of Xenoblade. I put nearly 100 hours into that game!

That's me right now after Dragon Quest VIII. It was great but damn I'm trying to play some short games now. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is nearing double digit hour game length and I'm like come on SCE Bend wrap it wrap it up!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC
6. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16
7. Unreal - PC

I wrote most of my thoughts in the FPS thread. In short this game bridges the gap between the Doom/Quake style FPS and the Half-Life style FPS. Quake 2 was the first step in that direction with the levels that made sense one after another (like you're actually moving through an enemy base rather than the random levels of previous id games) but Unreal cranks up things with the wide open spaces and a lot more expository text to do world building. Unfortunately for it, Half-Life does everything better. The series transitioned nicely to the arena shooter with Unreal Tournament, however.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC *new*
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2 *new*

Total: 9

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

A couple of fun, shooty action games.

Painkiller is a surprisingly good-looking and fast moving FPS that wasn't really quite what I expected. The game is often pitched as a Doom/Quake like game and I was expecting something more "modern"/"realistic"" but I found it much closer to something like Serious Sam but in more gothic/European settings. A few of the levels were really inspired and interesting, some of them quite bland. I wish it gave you more guns (and more guns quickly), but the weapons that are there are all pretty well done (though the melee default is more trouble than it is worth, I felt). I could see playing at least some expansion to this in the future, and am glad to at least have it under my belt.

There are things I like about Gungrave: Overdose more than the original, but the first game has a much more compelling story...enough that it even prompted me to watch some of the show it is tied to. This one had some interesting additions to the gameplay and looked even better...though I found it to be a good deal tougher than the original (which I played like six years or so ago, so my memory may be hazy). Still, I'd put this series high in the running for "Best non-AAA exclusive action game series on the PS2".
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Games Beaten 2015

1. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Wii U
3. God of War - PS2
4. Gunman Clive - 3DS
5. Dead Space 3: Awakened (DLC) - PC

Total Games for 2015: 5

Gunman Clive - 3DS
What a great little package. It feels a lot like Megaman, which is always a good thing. On your first playthrough, on normal, you can finish the game in about an 45-60 minutes, but the whole time is utterly enjoyable. You then unlocked a third character (one which can not shoot), you then play it through again on Hard, then with the character which can't shoot and you have about 3 hours into the game, all of which is enjoyable. You then realise each section scores if you took a hit or not, another challenge to get some time out of the game.

Yes it is short, but it is really gold and only cost a couple bucks, if you have a 3DS, get it!

Dead Space 3: Awakened (DLC) - PC
The DLC to Dead Space 3 only lasts about an hour, but it is a better experience than the main game was. Much more focused on dark halls and atmosphere it plays and feels much more like Dead Space 2, which is a great thing. Other than it being short, it was a great and leads into what will be Dead Space 4 someday (or an ending to the series).
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

1. The Last of Us - PS3 - January 16
2. Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3 - January 19
3. Dragon's Crown - PS3 - January 23

4. Charlie Murder - 360 - February 2

Played this online with a childhood friend in Washington. A lotta beat 'em up, a little Guitar Hero, and a little shmupping make this one a fun little brawler.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu. Fun little platformer. A little short, and I'm pretty sure it's one I could get through without any sort of save states, but I was lazy last night. ;)

Also, there's a TG-16 version, apparently with extended stages, but it also makes some other changes that make it not the definitive version, at least according to HG101.