Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by emwearz »

Super Mario 3D World has so much "end game" content, you pretty much need to 100% the game up to its "normal ending" to unlock the second half of the game.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

^Yeah all the extra levels are a pretty nice bonus. It's too bad I really don't like 100%ing games, but I'll probably get to them eventually. It'll just take me a long while ._.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

1) Cannon Spike - Dreamcast
2) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - PC
3) Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS (as Mighty No. 9)
4) Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - PSP (Vile Mode)
5) StarCraft - PC
6) Naughty Bear - Xbox 360
7) The Last of Us - PS3
8] Eets (100-percented) - PC
9) Gunpoint - PC
10) The Last Story - Wii
11) Papers, Please - PC (Ending 18)
12) King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGD VGA remake)
13) Dune 2000 - PC (easy :()
14) Clock Tower: The First Fear - PC (S Ending)
15-19) Sam & Max Season 3: The Devil's Playhouse - PC
20) Dishonored - PC
21) Call of Juarez - PC
22) Gargoyle's Quest - GameBoy
23) Assassin's Creed - PC
24) Fly in the House - PC
25) Serious Sam 2 - PC
26) Batman Arkham City (with Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC) - PC

Unfortunately I had to play this game on low settings since my media center PC is woefully underpowered. I might just play some more of the game (maybe some political prisoner missions) when I build a new media center machine. It still looked alright, though. About on par with consoles.

With that out of the way, I gotta say that I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I heard Ashens (I think) mention that having an open world in a Beat 'em Up doesn't really work. I thought that was sound logic and I expected Arkham City to drag, but thankfully it didn't. The open world actually works to the game's favor. While there are some side missions ala Grand Theft Auto, they can be ignored completely and are quickly completed. The open world makes the game feel like recent films as opposed to Saints Row.

The music is standard film-score Batman fare, but the sound effects are rather nice. The punching sound is particularly great as it produces a deep bassy pound whenever a crook gets hit in the face. Kevin Konroy and Mark Hamill reprise their roles, but Arleen Sorkin hasn't unfortunately. Her replacement, Tara Strong, admirably fills in for her. Everyone in the voice cast performs superbly and bring their respective characters to life.

The story is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, the premise is kinda stupid, (I mean c'mon, a large portion of the city is turned into an anarchistic criminal capitol? How the hell is that even legal?) on the other it has a very ballsy ending. It's set up to give you a fake out ending, but the bullshit is expelled at the end. Additionally, the clues for the ending are strewn throughout the game.

For the most part the gameplay is the same with some minor additions. While the additions aren't game-changing (Heh, get it?), they do keep Arkham City from feeling like a lame rehash. I normally hate when a game shifts from the main character (i.e. the one you were playing as the whole damn time) to another which plays very differently, but in this case it's not bad. Catwoman plays similarly to Bats, but is different enough to make her missions stand out. I don't know why there were upgrades specifically for her since you don't play as her much during the campaign. I bought one, maybe two upgrades for her.

Batman Arkham City is a great Beat 'em Up game from start to finish.

noiseredux wrote:. . .I 1CC'd Gunbird 2... on "Baby" difficulty.

I do not feel better about myself. :|

Sigged. ;)
Last edited by GSZX1337 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

haha, thanks.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

GSZX1337 wrote:Her replacement, Tara Strong, admirably fills in for her. Everyone in the voice cast performs superbly and bring their respective characters to life.

I haven't played Arkham City yet, so this is (awesome) news for me. Having kids has exposed me to a lot of modern cartoons, and I have to say I'm always extremely impressed by Tara Strong's voice work. She's done a ton of disparate projects, but they're generally super cool.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I beat Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the Gamecube!

Damn, do I love Double Dash! This is actually the third time that I have beaten the game. I beat it twice before with my friends with co-op play, but this is the first time I have done it alone and on my own system. Mario Kart 64 has always been my favorite version, but I think Double Dash could be close to it. It is just fantastic. The track design, characters, special moves, music, sound and graphics are just unbelievable. It is fantastic.

The second character is really silly and the rubber band effect is pretty awful, but they do not deter from a fantastic experience. What a Game!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Games Exhuminator has beat in 2015...
1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / diving sim) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10
37. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
38. Bionic Commando (360 | 2009 | action adventure) 8/10
39. Vanquish (PS3 | 2010 | cover shooter) 9/10[/b]
40. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3 | 2007 | cover shooter) 6/10
41. King's Field II (PS1 | 1995 | dungeon crawler) 7/10
42. Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2 (DS | 2008 | surgery sim) 7/10
43. Fairune (Android | 2013 | action / puzzle) 5/10
44. Metroid: Other M (Wii | 2010 | action adventure) 7/10
45. Red Dead Redemption (360 | 2010 | action adventure) 10/10
46. Army of Two: The 40th Day (360 | 2010 | cover shooter) 6/10
47. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS | 1997/2013 | JRPG) 6/10
48. Bonk's Revenge (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
49. The Lord of the Rings: War in the North (360 | 2011 | action-RPG) 8/10
50. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 | 2008 | SRPG) 9/10
51. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (360 | 2010 | action adventure) 7/10
52. Sorcery! (Android | 1983/2014 | game book) 9/10
53. Sorcery! 2 (Android | 1984/2014 | game book) 8/10
54. Lone Wolf - Book I: Flight From The Dark (Android | 1984/2015 | game book) 8/10
55. Lone Wolf - Book II: Fire On The Water (Android | 1984/2015 | game book) 8/10
56. Island of the Lizard King (Android | 1984/2014 | game book) 7/10
57. Shadow and Ash (PC | 2015 | adventure)
58. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3 | 2014 | JRPG) 8/10
59. Warioware: Touched! (DS | 2005 | puzzle action) 7/10
60. Shadow Hearts (PS2 | 2001 | JRPG) 8/10
61. Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts (DS | 2008 | dungeon crawler) 6/10

To read my reviews for these games, check out my HLTB "Completed" section. Simply click on the "show details" icon to read the review for each game. The "show details" icon looks like this: Image

Exhuminator's HLTB:

http://howlongtobeat.com/user.php?n=Exh ... e_complete

62. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS | 2009 | puzzle adventure) 5/10

Professor Layton and The Diabolical Box is part of a highly lauded series of adventure puzzle games for the DS and 3DS. This particular entry was the second game in the series, being a sequel to The Curious Village. Here we find Professor Layton and his assistant Luke once again mixed up in a strange series of events that will test their noggins to find out the truth. All the while testing the patience of the player to endure the endless boring bits along the way.

Diabolical Box's improvements over its predecessor are few. Primarily the presentation has improved noticeably. The background artwork here is astoundingly well crafted, top notch. Level-5 successfully ripped off The Triplets of Belleville aesthetic perfectly this time. The animated cutscenes are also nicely done and are a joy to watch. The music sounds well enough too, although it is extremely limited in instrumentation (hope you like accordions) and sparse in track selection. (You WILL get tired of hearing that same old music box tune for EVERY. SINGLE. PUZZLE.) There are also a lot of mini-games here that you let you do riveting things such as brewing tea, taking photos, or designing an exercise course for a hamster.

Diabolical Box's plot starts out legitimately interesting. A strange death inducing box shows up out of nowhere. Layton takes it upon himself to discover its past. While this plot starts out quite interesting, it quickly loses all steam during the entire middle portion of the game. The plot does get more interesting at the very end, but the way it is resolved is utter deus ex nonsense and atrociously unbelievable. On top of that, the plot focuses on resolving the fate of two characters that were barely even developed by that point. I've seen better story telling in Saturday morning cartoons to be totally honest.

Plot aside, you will spent most of your time either incessantly poking the stylus over every square pixel of the screen looking for "hint coins", or perhaps actually solving puzzles. Puzzles are everywhere here flying at you like gnats on a sticky summer day. Now, when the puzzles are actually intertwined with the plot and include stylus interactivity, they are truly enjoyable. Unfortunately about 85% of this game's puzzles are nothing like that, and are instead abstract non-interactive ones ripped right out of Akira Tago books. If you enjoy inane number puzzles or tracing maze loops, you'll find plenty of that bland joy here.

To be perfectly honest, I found the bulk of Diabolical Box to be excruciatingly boring. The plot was unengaging and badly paced. Environs such as a blasé train and endless Bavarian architecture weren't much fun to explore. Puzzles were of the quantity over quality format. The entire experience is so concerned with being faux-quaint and overly inoffensive, that I was actually offended by how ridiculously prim it ultimately is. It's like the game thought only elderly nuns were going to play it, and even they would have felt the callouses of Level-5's kid gloves after a while.

Well folks this was the second game in this series I completed, and I still don't understand why people love it so much. Compared to other adventure games on DS like Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick, or Ace Attorney, Professor Layton's first two games are utterly milquetoast and forgettable. (I hold out a little hope for the rest though, as Tatsuya Shinkai did not direct any other games in this series after this.) A true gentleman may never leave any puzzle unsolved, but he could certainly be forgiven for leaving this diabolical box locked shut forever.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Markies wrote:Damn, do I love Double Dash!

I think Double Dash is one of the more underrated entries in the series. I remember people shitting on this one, but I think that it has stood the test of time better than its successor on the Wii.

The second character is really silly and the rubber band effect is pretty awful, but they do not deter from a fantastic experience.

I like having the second character as it allows you to be a bit creative with the second power-up slot. It also provides a two player co-op experience. :D
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:The plot does get more interesting at the very end, but the way it is resolved is utter deus ex nonsense and atrociously unbelievable. On top of that, the plot focuses on resolving the fate of two characters that were barely even developed by that point. I've seen better story telling in Saturday morning cartoons to be totally honest.

I love the plots in Professor Layton games. Like Edgar Allen Poe's The Murder in the Rue Morgue, the truth is more wondrous than the mystery.

In any event, the stories in Professor Layton games are at least as realistic as the one in Hotel Dusk. (The fact that the game presented its story as a believable narrative made it even more laughable.) The Professor Layton games also have radically better puzzles and adventure game mechanics, and I have never understood why people hold Hotel Dusk in such high regard. (I am nonetheless interested in playing its PAL-only sequel at some point.)

EDIT: Also, the third Professor Layton game is insanely good. I cannot recommend it highly enough. (The fourth one isn't that hot, though, but it does include a 100+ hour RPG as a bonus feature...)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I love the Layton games and Hotel Dusk.