Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:If you play JRPGs for the story alone, then I'm sure it seems like I'm shitting on the genre. I think the genre in its early years is better as a legacy of game-play than story.

Have you played a recent JRPG? When I play modern JRPGs, I find the same themes that I find continuously throughout all JRPGs. Story-wise, it's usually the same thing over and over again: insane militarism, destruction of nature being bad and the return to naturalism/environmentalism being good, good and innocence triumphing over evil, modernization often being used for destruction, religion as an evil, etc.

The interesting thing about the genre in its early years is that it wasn't sure quite yet how far to go with these themes, as opposed to now, where they are set in stone and hammered in repeatedly. Do you remember the public reaction to Aeris dying in Final Fantasy 7? People were shocked, which was ridiculous, as the Final Fantasy games had been killing characters for years. In V, Galuf dies. In VI, you can kill Cid and Shadow. Hell, Final Fantasy IV was practically a bloodbath for all the character death that occurs there. And that's just the FF games.

As for a legacy of gameplay...well, a lot of it is rudimentary when compared to now, and not all of it is good. JRPGs earned a reputation for using the Fight command a lot, and they got started doing that from the get go. Some of them suffer heavily from little gameplay quirks, like retargeting enemies or excessive use of menus. Frankly, a lot of people really dislike the gameplay of these early titles, and there are classics I admit that I struggled with partly for this reason. Earthbound comes to mind, one where the interface proved to be a hindrance for me. But FFIV, the first of its lineage that really attempted to go for story-driven gameplay in a JRPG? Yeah, I'd be happy to play it again. It was experimental, it was unsure of itself, and it was a damn site more interesting than many modern JRPGs as a result.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

pierrot wrote:I'm saying that stacking old console RPGs up by their stories is an exercise in futility

So is boxing an entire era of RPG plots up and calling them "third rate".
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote: Hell, Final Fantasy IV was practically a bloodbath for all the character death that occurs there. And that's just the FF games.

All one of those main characters who died?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Ack wrote:When I play modern JRPGs, I find the same themes that I find continuously throughout all JRPGs. Story-wise, it's usually the same thing over and over again: insane militarism, destruction of nature being bad and the return to naturalism/environmentalism being good, good and innocence triumphing over evil, modernization often being used for destruction, religion as an evil, etc.

And excessive fan service. You forgot excessive fan service.

*looks over at stack of Hyperdimension games*

*smiles*

*cries*
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
Ack wrote: Hell, Final Fantasy IV was practically a bloodbath for all the character death that occurs there. And that's just the FF games.

Tellah, Palom, and Porom die(though Palom and Porom are revived in the ending). Players spend a good chunk of the game thinking Yang and Cid have died as well. Anna, Tellah's daughter and Edward's lover, also dies.

So three characters actually die, two more are believed dead, and an important side character dies to give motivation to two main characters.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Let's be fair... Palom and Porom don't count... ever...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

Tellah, Palom, and Porom die(though Palom and Porom are revived in the ending). Players spend a good chunk of the game thinking Yang and Cid have died as well. Anna, Tellah's daughter and Edward's lover, also dies.

So three characters actually die, two more are believed dead, and an important side character dies to give motivation to two main characters.

Technically Palom and Porom turn themselves to stone. You're right on the fact that most of the main characters sacrifice themselves in some way, it's just funny how except for Tellah everyone else is like "surprise, we're not dead!" Cid gets the most props for surviving jumping off of an airship while holding a bomb that explodes in his hands with enough force to collapse a giant hole in a mountain.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)
64. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
65. Ys II (Famicom)
66. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)
67. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
68. Frogs and Flies (Atari 2600)
69. Ice Climber (NES)
70. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (PlayStation 2)
71. Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
72. Ikari Warriors (Atari 2600)
73. Donkey Kong Junior (Atari 2600)
74. Donkey Kong Junior (ColecoVision)
75. Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
76. Guevara (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
77. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
78. Evolution (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)

Before E.V.O........ Before Spore........ There was Evolution on the ColecoVision (and Apple II and Commodore 64).

This is a neat action game where you play through several "stages" of the evolutionary process. Stage one is the amoeba stage - then it's a frog, a mouse, a beaver, a gorilla, and, finally, a human being. Every organism has a different play style and sometimes slightly different controls (some shoot projectiles while others simply need to dodge enemies). It's pretty bizarre and creative.

Oh, and at the game's end the Earth..... explodes?! I feel like there's some sort of message here.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm probably in the minority here but I liked Final Fantasy III (DS) better than Final Fantasy V. :roll:

-------------------------------------------------------------

1. Radiant Historia
2. Halo: Combat Evolved (Master Chief Collection)
3. Halo 2 (Master Chief Collection)
4. Killer Instinct (Season 1 Story Mode)
5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
6. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)
7. Rayman Legends (Xbox One)
8. Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
9. Killer Instinct (Season 2/S2 Story Mode)

After a long dry spell, I have finally completed another game! During E3, Iron Galaxy and Microsoft Studios released Season 2 Story Mode as the last large update for Season 2. The previous update in May saw the release of Season 2's final character ARIA.

First, Iron Galaxy should be commended for cranking out a new character every month for the past 9 months. That is a pretty grueling development schedule and they did a great job with every character in Season 2. Many fighting games are guilty of creating characters that are essentially clones of another (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, etc.) and Killer Instinct does not do that at all. Each character is very unique and they try to have a wide variety of fighting game archetypes (Rushdown, Zoners, Projectile Rushdown, Grapplers & more!).

They really thought outside the box with some characters such as Kan-Ra and Aganos. They don't really fit the description of any traditional archetype. Kan-Ra is described as a trap-grappler by relying on onscreen obstacles for defense and to start his combos. Aganos is a very large character similar to Juggernaut or Sentinel from the Marvel fighters but the similarities end there. Aganos relies on creating armor for himself that absorb hits allowing him to safely approach his opponents. He can also use his armor resource to create new stage boundary walls, making it difficult for your opponent to get away. Aganos can also pickup the walls he puts down and use them as a giant club giving his incredible range. Lastly, he can also punch his opponents through the walls for major damage using a special attack that can also be used a combo ender.

Season 2 also saw the release of a few fan favorites from Killer Instinct's past. TJ Combo, Maya, Riptor, and Cinder all made it back into the franchise. Personally I think that all the redesigns look and play great. And for those that don't particularly care for the new looks, Iron Galaxy made some fantastic retro skins for these characters. Cinder and Riptor in particular look pretty spot on to their KI1 appearances.

As for the new story mode, it is a large improvement over Season 1's story mode. Season 1's story mode was very unimpressive. It was only a splash screen bio for each character with still shot endings and nothing in-between the fights. Barely any story at all. This time around, each character has at least two voice narrated cut scenes along with loading screens between fights that explain why you are fighting who you are fighting (usually). It's not MK9 or MKX caliber but it is leaps and bounds better than Season 1. Considering KI's much much smaller budget, I think they have done a good job with what they had to work with.

Another new mode that was added in Season 2 is Shadow Mode. KI Shadows are AI characters that you create which act like you do in a fight. As of right now, it is limited to the Season 1 cast + TJ Combo and Maya. When you play as a character that you have shadow enabled, you are given the option to save your fight data when completing a match vs other characters. For example, if you have shadow enabled Spinal and you play an online ranked match against some using any of the currently shadow capable cast, you can save your fight data at the end of the match. There is also a Shadow Survival mode where you take of random people's Shadow AI characters for Shadow points. Shadow points are used to challenge other people's Shadows directly. Should you win the challenge, you earn more points. Fighting other people's Shadows is far more satisfying than playing versus the traditional CPU AI. Most fighting game veterans know that the CPU AI will eventually "cheat" at higher difficulties. The CPU AI reaction time eventually outpaces human reaction times which makes for very frustrating matches. With the Shadow AI, the reaction times are very much human creating a better experience.

I also wanted to note that the soundtrack for Season 2 is every bit as good as Season 1's. Mick Gordon has done a phenomenal job with it, drawing inspiration from the classic KI1 tracks for returning characters. However, I think some of his best work is with the original themes for new characters. My personal favorite is Agano's theme followed closely by Hisako's.

A few things are still in store for KI in the immediate future. They are going to finish Shadow enabling the rest of the Season 2 cast and they are going to flesh out Season 1's bonus character - Shadow Jago. Shadow Jago will be getting his own moveset thanks to the Shadow Jago Community Fund which allowed players to purchase the Shadow Jago skin for the first time without a Day 1 Xbox Live Gold card. Everyone that owns the Shadow Jago skin will get his updated moveset when it is released. Also the first $100,000 raised is being added to KI tournament prize pots - a nice gesture by Microsoft and Iron Galaxy. I also think that Season 3 is very likely to happen due to some hints in Story mode and the fact that KI is being ported to PC. I suspect the may announce something at EVO or Gamescom.

Admittedly, a big part of my Killer Instinct fandom is nostalgia driven. The original Killer Instinct was my favorite 90's fighter. It had a little bit of everything that a teenage boy could want at the time. Werewolves, sword wielding skeletons, a Predator/Terminator hybrid, an obligatory busty female fighter, and a dinosaur! Don't get me wrong, those things are still awesome (though busty females fighters have lost some appeal due to maturing a bit) but I firmly believe that the new KI is one of the best fighters on the market. It has great gameplay, an intriguing and varied cast plus the best netcode that I have ever come across. So if you have access to an Xbox One, you should definitely give it a try if you like fighters. If you don't have an Xbox One, it coming to PC in the near future with cross-platform multiplayer.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Forgot that I beat Super Smash Bros. on N64 during my testing. I love how powerful Kirby is in that game.