Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by bmoc »

1. Radiant Historia
2. Halo: Combat Evolved (Master Chief Collection)
3. Halo 2 (Master Chief Collection)
4. Killer Instinct (Season 1 Story Mode)
5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
6. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)
7. Rayman Legends (Xbox One)
8. Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
9. Killer Instinct (Season 2/S2 Story Mode)
10. Halo 3 (Master Chief Collection)
11. Halo 3 ODST (Master Chief Collection)
12. Halo 4 (Master Chief Collection)
13. Chrono Trigger (Nintendo DS)

This is my third clear of Chrono Trigger on the DS. Back in the day, I owned Chrono Trigger on SNES and saw every ending. I didn't have a substantial amount of money as a child so when I got a new game, I played the crap out of it. Chrono Trigger's multiple endings were a godsend to me at the time kept me entertained for quite a number of hours.

The DS port is really good but I don't feel the extra dungeons add much to the game. Sure you can get some really overpowered weapons (Robo's Apocalypse Arm + Dragon Tear anyone?) but the extra areas add almost nothing to the story (excluding the secret boss).

Still, it is a lot of fun even after 20 years of playing it regularly. Its hard to believe the game is that old!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah the extra content is a snooze, but the DS version is still nice to have. A cheap alternative compared to the SNES original, and waaaaay better than the

*loading*

PlayStation port.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)
20. Lego Jurassic Park (PC)
21. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (PC)
22. Cities Skylines (PC)
23. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)
24. Her Story (PC)
25. Hearthstone: Curse Of Naxxramus (PC)
26. Half-Life 2 (PC)

after 15 hrs, spread out over 26 months, I've finally beaten what is by far the greatest single player FPS I've ever played. 8)
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

noiseredux wrote:26. Half-Life 2 (PC)

after 15 hrs, spread out over 26 months, I've finally beaten what is by far the greatest single player FPS I've ever played. 8)

That sure is saying a mouthful.

I know we have an FPS thread, but would you please summarize why you liked the game so much?

Think I'd go with Bioshock Infinite, but both games are amazingly fun.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm working on a longer blog post about it, but I will say that Bioshock Infinite would be my #2 pick. So I can see an argument for it being #1. But in the end I find that BI is a much more emotional story that hit me in the feels, but I never loved the shooting in it the same way I did HL2. I found the combat way more rewarding in HL2. HL2 has a great story - not an emotional one - but a great story. If I was gonna tell someone to play an amazing sci-fi/horror FPS with incredible combat, I'd recommend HL2. If I was gonna tell someone to play a beautiful story with beautiful visuals, I'd recommend BI.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Wow, Twilight Princess is one damn long game. I am now seriously wondering if it is even more of a time suck than Skyward Sword. I moved a pretty fast clip and only did a few side quests and we're still talking 46 hours. Gross! At least it enjoys its status as one of the best looking Wii games of all time (and it's really just a Gamecube game in disguise!).

Twilight Princess gets a LOT of shit. Zelda II levels of shit. It deserves some criticism but not the specific complaints that get lobbed at it. It is not (as many would insist) an Ocarina of Time re-make. Though there are similarities to OoT, they are necessary as this game is taking place in the future of the Hyrule that was featured in OoT. Beyond that, Twilight Princess is no more like OoT than any game in the modern Zelda franchise resembles another. Also, the 'waggle' of the wiimote is not bad at all. There are only a few moves that couldn't be executed reliably and they all involved the nunchuck. Given that my Wii nunchuck is from 2006, it might be a hardware defect more than anything. Lastly, although the sound is all MIDI driven - it's a great soundtrack all the same. We've gotten spoiled these last few years.

Twilight Princess has an absolutely amazing story and does a better job of fleshing out the silent protagonist than any other Zelda game in the franchise aside from Skyward Sword. Link feels like a defined character when he first shows up and his adventures with Midna and the horrors he endures had a appreciable affect on both his characterization and the world around them. I felt like my avatar was different in an important way by the end of the game. Anyone who enjoys horror games or Lovecraftian style monsters will get a kick out of this game.

The Link in this game is probably the most powerful and brutal of the entire franchise. The amount of sword flourishes that were incorporated into this game made combat a lot of fun. If an enemy who was also carrying a sword rushed me, I did everything I could to treat each such encounter as a sword duel, only ending it if I could finish them off with style. Skyward Sword wanted to be that but never felt like it to me.

There are some things I didn't enjoy. By the end of the game I really did just want the damn thing to be over with. The game's boss characters are some of the finest in the series - but they are also insanely easy to beat. I died twice over the course of the game, both times due to falling into lava the Death Mountain level. When the environmental damage scared me more than going into a sword duel with the Dark Lord of Evil, then the difficulty balance is entirely off.

All in all - absolutely love this game but there's a reason why I only seem to play it ever 8 years.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

noiseredux wrote:26. Half-Life 2 (PC)

I would agree. Half-Life 2 is one of the games that I'm so happy I got day 1 on PC. I didn't get ANYTHING done that week.

One thing I love about Half-Life is while the main combat mechanic is first person shooting (and bashing) I don't feel like it's a first person shooter, it's more akin to something like Metroid Prime.

First Person Action? Maybe (That was Valve's original description of Half-Life in 1998, too). I definitely don't feel like HL is a shooty shoot game, that's for sure. (I don't think I can say that for BioShock for the most part, though it's got plenty of non-shooty gameplay)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Glad to see another person who realizes that Twilight Princess is awesome and doesn't deserve the shit it's gotten. I also think it has my favorite Princess Zelda design of the series.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

MrPopo wrote:Glad to see another person who realizes that Twilight Princess is awesome and doesn't deserve the shit it's gotten. I also think it has my favorite Princess Zelda design of the series.

That deserves a quote. The character designs as a whole are all perfect and the Zelda, Link, and Ganon are what I consider to be 'definitive'.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Flake wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Glad to see another person who realizes that Twilight Princess is awesome and doesn't deserve the shit it's gotten. I also think it has my favorite Princess Zelda design of the series.

That deserves a quote. The character designs as a whole are all perfect and the Zelda, Link, and Ganon are what I consider to be 'definitive'.

Yeah...I agree. Both Twilight Princess and Zelda II are fantastic games. As someone who has completed all but five games in the Legend of Zelda series (i.e., Faces of Evil, Four Swords Adventure, Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword, and Wand of Gamelon), I really don't understand how anyone can view them negatively. (That's OK, however, because if we all liked the same things, I wouldn't have such extraordinary taste.)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.