Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by noiseredux Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:04 pm

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)

At first I thought I'd have trouble even starting the A-Z challenge (starting w/ my birth year), as most "A" games from 1981 were arcade titles that didn't really end. Then I stumbled over this obscure Apple II game. I have fond memories of the A2 from elementary school days (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, etc), but never explored the library much as I got older. Anyway this is a turn based arena game. Think of it like a very very early take on the Shining Souls/Final Fantasy Tactics/etc genre. My first impression was that it was too simple, but once I got past the first two levels things got more difficult and suddenly little bits of strategy started to come to the surface. Honestly, I was impressed. And although it's only five levels, it should take some time to master. I think I ended up putting in about four hours or so to make it to the end. So off the bat, I'm glad I'm attempting this challenge, as I discovered something I really can't imagine ever finding otherwise. :D
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Nice work noise. Looks like a neat game. I assume this is emulation? I've used some Apple II emulation, mainly for old Ultima and Wizardry games... and, uh, the Apple II version of Ys.

If/when I do the year challenge next year I'll probably force myself to finish The Count when I reach 1981.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:19 pm

1. Ys III - Wanderers from Ys (SNES)

Inspired to play it from watching SNESdrunk's review, and being that it's cheap on eBay (a rare thing for a SNES game these days), I beat my first game for 2015.

I think it compares to how I feel about Castlevania II. They were trying to do something different. I get what they were trying to do, and I appreciate it, but the game has some problems. In Ys III's case, I feel like there's a big problem with the way you level in the game. You're severely underpowered from the start, but then you can easily max out before hitting the mid point.

My other major is the hit detection, mostly with bosses. All of the bosses would have been really easy if it wasn't for accidentally colliding with them. Knocking into a boss will kill you in like one or two hits. You're attack range isn't very large, so you have to get REALLY close to bosses. This was frustrating for me.

Other then that though, I enjoyed playing through this game. I wasn't in the mood for a 30+ hour RPG, so I liked how short and simple this game is. Does it compare to FF Mystic Quest in that respect? I'm in the middle of several games, TV series, books, etc. One town, with one item and one weapon/armor shop, and 5 "dungeons" or whatever you wanna call them. So there was no "what town was that in?" kind of thing going on. Sometimes a game that simple is a good thing, when you wanna play a game but can't give it your full attention.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:11 pm

I'd try Ys Book I & II if I were you.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:32 pm

2. Renegade Ops (PC)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)

Beauty And The Beast (1982) was one I never heard of. It has nothing to do with Belle, but rather it's a bit of a Donkey Kong clone where you must scale floors of a skyscraper until the Beast falls off the top. It's a looping game, so I just called it "beat" once I made it through all levels. It's a neat little game though, and I have a hunch that Fix It Felix took some cues from this one.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Another goodie. I'll have to try to finish that one myself. Haven't sunk much time into it. It's an Imagic game so it came in one of those cool shiny silver boxes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:32 pm

2. Renegade Ops (PC)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)

I'm on a roll! Luckily blizzards mean games as well as way too much shoveling. Chivalry (1983) is another awesome find. Like, I'm probably gonna keep this one on tap as a party game. So get this - it's basically the blueprint for Mario Party. 1-4 players on a game board, dice is rolled, spaces moved and then you scramble to figure out some mini-game. It's actually pretty damn cool.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:37 pm

you are rockin' it noise!
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Sir Bra! My hero! May your cup(s) runneth over.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:50 pm

One of those games where your "name" can only be three characters, eh?
Return to General Gaming