Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by wclem »

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital
2. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) Disc Version
3. Dying Light (PS4) Disc Version
4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3) Disc Version (Replay)
5. Batman Arkham City (PS3) Disc Version
6. The Order (PS4) Disc Version

So I borrowed it from a friend.

Sorry, not game of the year. First off, if this guy belongs to this great "Order" then why is his gun handling so poor? You have two types of enemies in human form. Armored and not armored. The armored are completely annoying and hard to stop. They were harder to stop than the damn wolves.

The graphics were great and letterbox did not bother me. Simply limited field of view at times. The shooting was poorly done and there could have been a little more platforming. All in all it seemed to lack content, if they could have opened it up a little more it would have made a great improvement. Would not have minded a few chapters where the lighting let you see more also.

The story though, damn they put a lot of work into it and the the ending was great. It was cool the way it was done and would have only benefited from shortening cut scenes and sprinkling them in more so they could have given us more gameplay.

I feel if they would have let this come out with little or no hype that I can see being really satisfied with the price. They hyped it up though and I think it was set up for a fall. With the hype and maybe a 40 or 50 dollar price point I think less people would complain. Gonna buy a used copy to have as this is worth playing again in a few years.

Overall a fun play through. It was short and cut scene heavy as everyone is saying, but I feel they are on the right track. If they do another hopefully they can refine the formula some.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have not played the SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0 (PSP) version, but I plan on importing the game at some point. Hopefully, the port will not disappoint me too much.

Obligatory:

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC
6. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16
7. Unreal - PC
8. Shadowrun - SNES
9. Warcraft III - PC
10. Dungeon Keeper - PC
11. Final Fantasy X-2 HD - PS3
12. Descent - PC

Wow, what a ride. Descent is hard as balls, but it's also incredibly fun, aside from a few moments that feel like bullshit. The game does a good job of keeping you supplied with missiles so that you don't feel like you need to horde them; indeed, there are several areas where you are better off engaging with missiles rather than guns to avoid damage. The random drops for shields does add a small element of luck, though the bigger thing that helps is a willingness to play a level multiple times to figure out your route and determine where the most dangerous enemies are so you'll be prepared for them.

The level design is awesome; they really take advantage of the fact that your ship can move in all directions. Additionally, they do a good job of making the level layouts feel very distinct, so you never feel like you're just going through the same corridors over and over again.

I look forward with some trepidation to doing Descent 2 at some point in the future. The trepidation comes from reports that it's harder than Descent, and I feel like I made it through Descent by the skin of my teeth.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

MrPopo wrote:12. Descent - PC

I played Descent back when it came out and played through the first game - or perhaps whatver set of levels wsa included in the shareware version? I don't think I've ever played Descent 2, but if you want to wait until Quake month is over I'll play along with you and compare notes. I oddly don't remember the first Descent being ball-bustingly hard except for perhaps the final level...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you only played the shareware levels then it wouldn't seem too hard, aside from the last level with the boss who fires Smart Missiles that can one-shot you. But once you get past there the game likes to ramp up the number of Vulcan drillers (especially around corners) and Super Hulks.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Half Life 2: Episode 2 PC
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance PC

Rogue Legacy Vita

My wrists and hands!

A picture is worth a thousand words

I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)

My race through the Mushroom Kingdom continues unabated with a true classic. Here's the thing: I love playing as Wario. Wario Land takes the classic Mario formula and turns it upside down and I think almost all the differences between the franchises can be summed up in one sentence: "Wario is a bully". In Mario, you constantly have to manage your progress with your degree of vulnerability. Wario pushes enemies around, picks them up and throws them, and generally robs everyone around him blind.

It is more than just a theme. It fundamentally informs both gameplay and game design. It also makes the moments when you get hurt come fewer and farther between but they are also much more stressful. You get used to being Bull or Dragon Wario and when you suddenly get shrunken down, you find yourself weaker than even Mario is when he is small since you do not have Mario's speed or jumping skills to rely on.

It's a great game and definitely ended the Mario Land trilogy with a bang.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)

Double Dragon Neon was a blast and a half. I will say it was at times particularly tricky playing on a keyboard but I managed. Great soundtrack, lots of cool remixes to classic tunes from the original games. Enjoyed some of the wacky antics and found it to be very enjoyable and memorable. A huge thank you to JT, who gifted me this copy on Steam. 8/10

Mario Kart 8 surely has some replay value to it. I finished all of the Grand Prix series last night. I may go back and try to get all gold stars on the races, but casually and over some time. Since I saw the credits roll, and won all the trophies, I'll consider this beat and work on unlocking everything when we have local get togethers with friends who want to race. 9.5/10
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I absolutely loved Descent. I was exposed to it through a demo disc that came with my computer, actually for the second game. Managed to track down a copy, and also got it for "free" by buying a PCGames magazine that had a CD with it, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima VII, Star Control 2, and the Zork games on it. Score!

As for Double Dragon Neon, I absolutely loved it. I didn't cotton to it immediately, but once you catch the flow of the combat, it's spectacular. And the humor had me laughing all the way through. That first encounter with Skullmageddon is set up beautifully. :) I liked the game enough to play through all three difficulty levels!
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) *
9. Deadpool(PS3)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)
13. Fuse(360)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)

Asura's Wrath

Since my last review went poof I'll put it simply.

Epic game with great story, music, and visuals. However only around 25% or less of the game is actual gameplay which is divided between shooting and brawling style gameplay sections. The scale of the game is pretty amazing and the events can be down right insane as you do everything from fighting on the moon to fighting planet sized enemies.

Only sucky thing is the "True" ending is in a $7 DLC pack which contains "Part IV" of the game. The ending that the base game itself has is more then satisfying though and if need be you can watch the DLC online since like the rest of the game it's mostly cinematics anyways. If you watch the secret ending to the base game which isn't very hard to unlock then you will definately want to watch the DLC online though since as many people have mentioned it feels like Crapcom broke off a chunk of the game to resell later and it has a definite conclusion to the series :P.