Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)

Total: 7 games

Ok I think I might be a little late on the bandwagon, but w/e because Tokyo Jungle is pretty awesome. It's a post-apocolyptic survival in Tokyo, but you play as all sorts of different animals (such as dogs, cats, lions, giraffes, and dinosaurs!). You're just trying to survive as long as possible and rack up points to unlock the other animals, but it's just so fun for me.

It also has a story mode, but I didn't really like it as much. You unlock parts of the story by going in Survival and collecting articles, which is a neat idea but for me it just meant being the robot dog and running over to collect them (and sometimes you have to run pretty far to get them). The articles were actually interesting to read, it's just they were annoying to collect. In the Story missions themselves, some of them I thought were good, but most of them were a bit frustrating because either the game throws all these super tough enemies all over the place, or you need to sneak around. And sneaking is reallllyy annoying in this game (especially since it's a it hard to see the dots on my puny TV). I can't really put into words why they are annoying, but those were easily my least favourite levels.

Either way I don't have to worry about the Story anymore and just have fun with Survival yaay :D
c0wb0y
24-bit

Post by c0wb0y »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Ok I think I might be a little late on the bandwagon, but w/e because Tokyo Jungle is pretty awesome. It's a post-apocolyptic survival in Tokyo, but you play as all sorts of different animals (such as dogs, cats, lions, giraffes, and dinosaurs!). You're just trying to survive as long as possible and rack up points to unlock the other animals, but it's just so fun for me.
Either way I don't have to worry about the Story anymore and just have fun with Survival yaay :D

This post reminded me that I had purchased this a few weeks ago and never played it. Glad to see the review that it is enjoyable - something to try this weekend!
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Front Line

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've never heard of Front Line before! Looks to be a Taito arcade game that was later ported to several systems. I don't think it made it to any Taito compilations though or I would have remembered it (maybe?).

You should both try the arcade original at some point. (If you don't want to emulate it, it is available on Taito Legends 2.) I looped it last year, and I was impressed with it. It is quite challenging, and its combat mechanics were way ahead of their time. (Also - and FYI - it was included in EGM 200's list of "best games of their time" back in 2006.)

Interestingly, there is a "sequel" for the Gameboy Color, and the U.S. version of the sequel stars DC Comics' Sgt. Rock.

Doh! I have Taito Legends 2 (of course). Didn't realize it was on there! I'll fire it up when I have a chance.

Speaking of similar games, the Atari port Commando is on Activision Anthology despite it being a Capcom game. I guess Activision was publisher?

@laurenhiya21
Good post. I've been meaning to try Tokyo Jungle for some time. It actually has a physical compilation release too (Best of PlayStation Network Vol. 1).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Speaking of similar games, the Atari port Commando is on Activision Anthology despite it being a Capcom game. I guess Activision was publisher?

My guess is that Activision developed it as well and simply licensed the "Commando" name from Capcom.

EDIT: Nevermind. It was developed by Imagineering, Inc.; so, I have no idea why it is on the Activision Anthology.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I suppose that's true.

I could spend months just playing these retro compilations.

btw you still need to play PSO. :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:btw you still need to play PSO. :lol:

It is actually on my "to beat" list. I will get to it someday when I have lots of free time (i.e., when my children are old enough to play it with me or go off to college). :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Bone did you play Phantasy Star Zero or the PSP versions? Thoughts?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

PSO Zero is meh.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:PSO Zero is meh.

Why is it "meh" compared to PSO though? I mean legit differences?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Exhuminator wrote:Bone did you play Phantasy Star Zero or the PSP versions? Thoughts?

Portable on PSP = good!
Zero on DS = not good!