Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Sarge »

Yep. He also likes to get tricky and shorten it up, I think by default it's three bounds forward, but he shorten it to two to throw your timing off.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think it's always three bounces; the difference comes in how often he shifts his legs before moving and he'll start at different vertical points on the screen, but it's always three bounces.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Honestly I think Super Punch Out is harder than Punch Out in every way except the final boss. I have no problems reaching Tyson, but the difficulty spike once you reach him is utterly insane. Although that's probably how most boxers felt in real life when they went against him so I guess it's accurate.

I have the Wii version too, but I haven't played it yet. I even bought a cordless Wii Nunchuk so I wouldn't beat myself in the face with a cord while I played the game. But then I read that the motion controls aren't precise enough in Title Defense so you should just stick to the d-pad and buttons on the Wii Remote. I guess I will go with motion controls until they start being too unresponsive and cost me a fight.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I completed Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the NES this evening!

Man, that is one tough game. It is a different kind of tough though as none of it feels cheap or unfair. The game is just tough. I would die constantly, but I always felt like I was making progress. I feel like the limitations of the console really held the game back as the game has some great ideas. I love the leveling system and the overworld/town mechanic was really interesting.

The platforming can be rather infuriating. Medusa Heads have nothing on Horse Heads over lava pits. It is an interesting experience and unique concept for the Zelda formula. It is a rough, but still rewarding experience. Expect a fight, but it is still quite doable with a little time and perseverance.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I actually think that Super Punch Out!! is harder than Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

Aw hell naw son. I've beaten SPO and yet still can't get the Bald Bull pattern down on the NES. Perhaps a lack of effort/pattern studying? Maybe.

I feel like the NES game is more about twitch reaction times, whereas the SNES one is more lenient on reaction time but requires you to memorise patterns more as just dodging in one direction (like I do on the NES) is a good way to get knocked out in the SNES one, especially against the likes of Hoy Quarlow who require specific blocking and dodging patterns. They're slightly different skill sets
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:I guess I will go with motion controls until they start being too unresponsive and cost me a fight.

It takes a long time to get used to the motion controls in that game, and they will wear you out. (FYI...It supports the balance board; so, if you really want a work out, hook that up too.) They are fun for a while, but they are not accurate enough for success. Accordingly, if you are playing the game to win, go with the "NES controls" set up.

alienjesus wrote:I feel like the NES game is more about twitch reaction times, whereas the SNES one is more lenient on reaction time but requires you to memorise patterns more as just dodging in one direction (like I do on the NES) is a good way to get knocked out in the SNES one, especially against the likes of Hoy Quarlow who require specific blocking and dodging patterns. They're slightly different skill sets

I think that's it. I have logged way more hours into Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!; so, I think I try to play Super Punch Out!! just like its NES predecessor (and end up getting my ass kicked by an old man...).

Markies wrote:I completed Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the NES this evening!

Congratulations! That game is definitely the hardest in the Legend of Zelda series, but it is one of my favorites. I would love to see Nintendo revisit the Zelda II formula sometime, pehaps with a little "metroidvania" flavor thrown in for good measure.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Zelda II was my first NES game. Still have a soft spot for it, even if I did get stuck for years at one spot. Nintendo is usually quite deft with keeping their internal logic consistent, but this one spot wasn't. In most of the game, hidden areas can be found by walking over them on the world map. But when finding the hidden village, that doesn't work. You have to "chop" the trees down with the Hammer (yeah, right!) to reveal it. As someone who'd lost their manual when they lent it to a friend at school (life lesson there!), I had completely forgotten the Hammer could do this. Bleah. Thanks to reading Jeff Rovin's How to Win at Nintendo Games 4 while in the bookstore, though, I figured this out. Yay!

As for something I've beaten, went through Pirates of Dark Water for SNES. It's a passable beat-'em-up that's not afraid to throw tons of enemies at you. There's a little bit of Final Fight and a little bit of Golden Axe in the combat, but really doesn't bring much new to the table, other than the slightly-more-diverse moveset than normal.

I should also note it's pretty easy. I finished it the first time through, and still had six lives left. I started with three.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. My thoughts from the 3DS thread in case anyone's interested:

I'm about to finish Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and finally move on to the next game (bought the trilogy on sale in the eShop even though I already had the first one). Some random comments on how I feel about the game:

- I like the characters and gameplay mechanics. I wish there were more games like this frankly. The dialogue can occasionally be funny too. I think the style clashes with the subject matter a lot, but I still am glad they went with a more colorful palette and characters. It's unique if nothing else.

- I don't know how the subsequent games in the series play, but I really wish the game was comprised of about 8 or so cases that were a little shorter. I don't feel like the cases are epic, just laborious after awhile. Trimming the fat and adding a couple extra cases in its place would be better IMO.

- Speaking of which, shorter cases would probably help minimize the "WTF does it want me to do" moments. There are times, especially in this last case, where all you're doing is trying to figure out the trigger to move on. You know where the plot is headed based on the evidence, and you're showing someone something that would definitely provoke a reaction, and you essentially get a "Try something else" response from them because that's not what the game wants you to do.

- That all being said I do think the developers managing to tie it all together, the stories just seem unnecessarily cluttered. Looking forward to playing more, I just wish the game didn't test my patience as much as it does. I like you game. You don't have to try so hard.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm definitely looking forward to reading what you think of Justice For All. Especially the third episode in that one.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, that's one of my gripes about AA, it clearly expects a certain order of events, and if you've already made the logical leap, trying to figure out what silly little thing you need to do to get to that point is annoying.

Still good stuff overall, though.