Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
mas
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by mas »

The other day during my week at home I actually beat a game. It was justice league heroes for the xbox. My only question is that people say i f I go thru the game again in superhero mode and I beat it I can get Supergirl as a character to choose. Any truth to that on xbox version or is that only on PSP?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

MrPopo wrote:
the stat system that doesn't really seem to matter.

Ok, I need to take issue with this point because it's completely wrong. The way you invest your skill points and aug upgrades makes a big difference in how you approach the levels.

I, for one, welcomed our new AI overlords.

Well what I mean is, the game already does give you a variety of options for how to approach things, and it doesn't seem to allow you to get stuck. You can always find the tools or route you need to progress.

Which is a good thing of course, because it would suck to put yourself in a corner, but it made me feel like the skills are there to say "look, its also an rpg!" rather than being vital to your success.

But hey, maybe one can chalk that up to my inexperience with the game. I know its possible to beat it without ever killing anyone, so there's certainly some depth there that comes out more with multiple runs and familiarity.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And CFFFFGHYTRANMA1/2R, I had no idea you were doing an alphabet thing. ActRaiser is a classic I still have yet to complete. Some day.

I am indeed. Alienjesus and I talked about it quite a bit earlier in the year and I had to give it a go.

Actraiser is a good one. Its also fairly short. You could knock it out in no time.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Bone.

Go beat Actraiser! It's one of the best for the snes.

Do remember that no matter what you "name yourself" that "Sir" will precede it. So make yourself a good name like "Mix a lot" or "Loin" as you will be called "Sir Mix a lot" or "Sir Loin".
marurun

Post by marurun »

CFFJR wrote:All that said, the level of hype that Deus Ex receives from its fans is mind boggling. Folks often talk about this game as though its a life changing experience.

Its not.

In fact, forgive me for using the "O" word, but its probably the most overrated game I've ever played.

You have to think of this game in context. Think of when it game out. First person shooters didn't really do what Deus Ex did before it came on the scene. The fact that there are so many options to deal with each situation, that your choices have impact on the game world, was somewhat revolutionary. It is hyped so much for the doors it opened and the games it heralded as much as it is for its own merits.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)
14. Pokemon Soul Silver - Nintendo DS (April 2)
15. Pokemon White 2 - Nintendo DS (April 14)
16. Pokemon X - Nintendo 3DS (April 30)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Xbox One (May 3)

Pokemon X was a refreshing entry in the series. I personally enjoyed the aspects of EXP Share not being a held item, and giving 50% to all pokemon who didn't participate in the battle. It certainly made the game easier, but it brought most of my pokemon up to lvl 70+ by the end of the game. Overall, it was a great game!

17. Call of Duty: Pew pew pew pew pew pew! This game was gorgeous, and I enjoyed it.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

marurun wrote:You have to think of this game in context. Think of when it game out. First person shooters didn't really do what Deus Ex did before it came on the scene. The fact that there are so many options to deal with each situation, that your choices have impact on the game world, was somewhat revolutionary. It is hyped so much for the doors it opened and the games it heralded as much as it is for its own merits.

^
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

CFFJR wrote:All that said, the level of hype that Deus Ex receives from its fans is mind boggling. Folks often talk about this game as though its a life changing experience.

I don't think you are wrong, it's not really a great game. It is, however, extremely influential, I would say that it's one of the three games that set what 6th and 7th generation games would be (The others being Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid).

Is it radically innovative? Well, no, it's not very different in concept from Wasteland, Planescape: Torment or other titles that came before. But it's sufficiently evolved to be its own thing - a video game - instead of a digital version of pen and paper RPGs. That's important.

That's my take on it from what I remember playing. Don't remember it too well, sadly.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
marurun

Post by marurun »

Also, CFFJR, I am sad you didn't mention Actraiser's soundtrack, which is one of the best on the SNES (I consider it the first place contender).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I find it funny and interesting why people aren't able to see what certain games that were innovative or revolutionary are so hated up on this community. Games that tend to be deemed as "overrated" like Deus Ex and Shenmue, etc. If we merely saw them from the lens of what they were when they were first new, for the new concepts, ideas, and visuals they introduced. It's kind of the rub when you're a retro gaming website. You can still not like something, but to label it as overrated I often see as having not played it when it was transforming the industry and it was relevant.

The only parallel I can draw is being a fan of older films. New techniques, dialogue, ideas, often emerge from filmmakers. You might not enjoy the film but the consensus among my friends who enjoy films is that appreciating them for what they were.

I don't see that same level of respect. Is it because you are all jaded old angry men or is it something more subtle, like investing your time in a game that you're not getting enjoyment from? I mean the industry has evolved exponentially since the original Deus Ex and Shenmue, so the games don't have the appeal if you've not already played them. But to say that the games are overrated completely dismisses their historical relevance and innovation.

That'd be like me saying 2001 A Space Odyssey was overrated because Interstellar did it all better.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Although CFFJR's post didn't bug me at all, I completely agree Blu. Good post. Time/Age should not dictate the quality of anything be in books, games, film, etc. You would think most here on a Retro gaming forum would hopefully agree.