Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:But yeah, those games are completely different and more like traditional JRPGs. Of course they are really SaGa games too...

It's also the only SaGa game I have ever beaten, despite owning both SaGa Frontier games...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Not into the ~*~*Romancing*~*~ games, huh?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ah yes! One of the few things I haven't unlocked.

Here's the reason: I don't like Decap Attack. :lol:

Then again, I forced myself to push through a few levels of Super Thunder Blade to unlock Space Harrier...

Me neither. :lol:

I was able push myself just far enough to unlock Zaxxon, however. (The goal is not that hard.)

I'll do it when I have a chance!

Speaking of which... I decided to search for a Zaxxon longplay video on YouTube to get some kind of idea of what kind of length / difficulty I was looking at.

This video may have the greatest title of anything on YouTube. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Ew5gMLulM
Ack

Post by Ack »

Not really. I've played a little of them, particularly the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa, but I didn't really care for the system. I guess that's the issue that I have with them, they're interesting games, but I dislike the systems they use.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've never really been able to roll into the SaGa games, either. The ones I finished were SaGa I & II, III didn't have Kawazu at the helm, and I don't think any of the SNES RS games have finished translations. SaGa Frontier I've gone through a couple of scenarios, and I did beat SaGa Frontier II and enjoyed it. And Treasure of the Rudras is a kind of secret SaGa game, as is The Last Remnant.

Okay, I take it back, I've experienced and enjoyed more than I thought. The series is just fairly uneven. One thing's for sure, though, Romancing SaGa on PS2 and The Last Remnant have spectacular soundtracks.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RS3 has a pretty complete translation.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:RS3 has a pretty complete translation.

I just never was sure how much of it was finished. I knew it was pretty close, I just didn't know how close. Any estimate on it? Is it a bit like Dragon Quest VI with NoPrgress's patch?

Also, a more valid question: how is it as a game? Does it stack up to other SNES fare at the time?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The RS3 translation is seriously like 98% done. You will be fine.

From ROMhacking.net:
Go with this patch, of course, since it’s mostly finished. While the script could admittedly use some work, and there’s some odd-looking spacing problems (due to the fact that every single tile is two 8×16 characters smooshed onto one 16×16 tile), really, does it matter ithat/i much? No it does not. The translation’s not entirely complete though, and I doubt the little problems that keep it from 100% will ever be fixed up. But like I said, they’re just small details. You’ll live.

And it's a damn fine game.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

My god, no updates in two weeks! Been mostly playing FF Type-0, hope to have that finished soon...

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992] *new*
Tennis in the Face - Vita *new*

Total: 38

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

Both of these are pretty straightforward and you'd be able to figure out much of what you need to know about each of them in less than a minute of game play. Both of them were fun and are potentially worth your time...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The RS3 translation is seriously like 98% done. You will be fine.

From ROMhacking.net:
Go with this patch, of course, since it’s mostly finished. While the script could admittedly use some work, and there’s some odd-looking spacing problems (due to the fact that every single tile is two 8×16 characters smooshed onto one 16×16 tile), really, does it matter ithat/i much? No it does not. The translation’s not entirely complete though, and I doubt the little problems that keep it from 100% will ever be fixed up. But like I said, they’re just small details. You’ll live.

And it's a damn fine game.

I would say the biggest thing is the patch needs an editing pass. I never noticed any Japanese that was still left in, or things of that nature. In terms of how it stacks up against the other games of the era, the overall game story is weak because it is a nonlinear adventure. You travel the world and uncover bits and pieces of the overall story as you do the available dungeons and quests. More events unlock the further you get in the game, where that is defined generally in terms of your HP range. The game doesn't have traditional leveling; instead like FF2 and most of the other SaGa games your stats go up as you exercise them, though it appears that they've figured out the algorithms enough that it didn't seem like you could really abuse them. The most interesting thing it does is that you can have up to six people in the party but you only can have five in battle at one time. If you decide to have the character you pick at the start to be the one to sit out then you get a special battle mode where you can either pick a general tactic or give explicit orders. Based on your formation and skills your party members have learned they can also do special attacks, a few of which are pretty amazing. The game also has a large cast who tend to specialize at different things (magic, particular weapons), so you can morph your party over time as you see fit. It also has some AMAZING music.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.