Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)

Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot is a fun, straightforward, auto-scrolling platform game for the Nintendo 3DS similar to Bit.Trip Runner. In it, the titular Cubit runs forward at a break-neck pace, and you determine when he jumps. (Seriously, this is the only thing you control.) All of the buttons cause Cubit to jump, but like Arthur before him, Cubit can double jump if you press the button while Cubit is in the air. Moreover, holding the button causes Cubit to jump continuously (and, more importantly, immediately) upon touching the ground. Despite its incredibly simple controls - and incredibly short length - the game, true to its title, is immensely challenging. (In theory, you could beat it in 5 minutes, but it often took me the better part of an hour to get through each of the game's six levels.) While death send you back to the beginning of the stage, the play sessions are typically so short that the game is never frustrating. Moreover, Cubit begins running immediately, and the game is immensely addictive in a "just one more try" sort of way. Finally, the game features clean, simple graphics, and a thumping, appropriately-intense sound track.

In sum - and while the game is by no means as good, polished, or lengthy as Gaijinworks' Bit.Trip Runner games - it is still a compelling experience, and it offers plenty of value for its (at the time I bought it) $1.99 price tag. (A "hardcore" mode with limited lives is unlocked after you beat the first level; the game features branching paths similar to Darius Twin and Out Run; there are multiple challenges for truly dedicated players; and you can unlock multiple playable characters). Accoridngly, I recommend it to anyone seeking a fast-paced, fun platforming challenge.

EDIT: I just looked up the developer, Coder Child, and one of its other games, Zombie Incident, looks great. The title probably put me off, but now that I know it was developed for the MSX...in 2011(!)...I will have to pick it up (for the whopping price of $1.99).
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Soul of Darkness

I ended up buying that back when I got my DSi. It's a pretty fun little game. You can feel just a touch of the cell phone lineage (framerate isn't great), but overall, it's a surprisingly competent action game. It's definitely got a lot of the Castlevania vibe. Gameloft mainly doesn't have a great reputation because they like to rip off popular games with their own versions that usually aren't as good, but a ton of their stuff is at least decent.

Another example is their smartphone game, Eternal Legacy, which is a reasonable facsimile of modern Final Fantasy games. Too bad I can't get my tablet to play nice with it, and my iPhone is so old that it just doesn't run it well.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: I just looked up the developer, Coder Child, and one of its other games, Zombie Incident, looks great. The title probably put me off, but now that I know it was developed for the MSX...in 2011(!)...I will have to pick it up (for the whopping price of $1.99).

From all the things that title could sugest i didnt expect a anime girl wearing a bikini made out of leafs from a non-japanese developer.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Zombie Incident is the last eShop game I purchased. What I've played so far is pretty fun.

I buy digital games now..... what has happened.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Zombie Incident is the last eShop game I purchased. What I've played so far is pretty fun.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Zombie Incident is the last eShop game I purchased. What I've played so far is pretty fun.

All games are digital.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Beaten:

1. Ys III - Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Hyperstone Heist (Genesis via EDMD)
3. Castlevania: Chronicles (PS1 via PS3)
4. From Russia With Love (PS2)
5. Star Fox Adventures (GCN)

Re-beaten:

1. Super Mario All-Stars + World (SNES via PowerPak)
2. Castlevania Bloodlines [x3] (Genesis)
3. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
4. Castlevania Dracula X (SNES)
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [x3] (PS1, PS3, PSP)
6. Goldeneye [x2] (N64)
7. Star Fox 64 (N64)
8. Castlevania [x3] (Emulator, FC, NES)
9. Super Mario Bros. (NES)

I just had a no death Castlevania run. :D

It wasn't the first time I've done it (this is either 3 or 4 I think) but I'm proud every time it happens.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC

This is another one of those games that I grabbed illicitly way back in high school, never beat, then subsequently purchased a real copy in my adult life. This is a decent FPS that unfortunately gets eclipsed by AvP 2 in every way. But they do still manage to make a Marine campaign that makes you feel like the weak human you are and a Predator campaign that makes you feel like the uber badass you are. The Alien campaign ends up being a bit of a mixed bag, in my opinion.

Now, anyone who plays this will notice that you go fast. Like, super fast. It makes Doom seem like walking speed. This speed is vital for the Alien campaign; there aren't many points where you can do any real stealth as the Alien so you just need to haul ass to the squishy meat men and one shot them with your claws. The few times where it does feel like you're doing the Alien ambush stuff is when the level design has you go through a duct that leads to some unsuspecting humans. But it doesn't feel like you got clever and took an ambush path; the actual door was locked. Once I got the hang of the Alien campaign and just started going balls to the wall dash and slash I was able to clear it pretty easily, only being phased by the few times there would be a sentry ambush or a marine with a grenade launcher I wasn't able to take out immediately.

The Marine campaign mostly pits you against Aliens. Really, the Predator only shows up at the end of each campaign as sort of a boss monster; there's not really any sign of the Predators outside of that. It definitely keeps that feeling of "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" that Aliens built up. But you need to be a very cool hand with your rifle, because it seems to be laser accurate against enemies that move very fast and very erratically. That means you can't rely on spray and pray to do any real work; your crosshairs have to be on target. Also, fuck those facehuggers. They're the absolute worst in the Marine campaign because you need to be watching your motion detector and having a light source out (i.e. flares) if you're going to see them. Fortunately, the game was always nice enough to ensure I had a flamethrower when they were around, as it utterly neutralizes them as long as you see them first. The final boss is unfortunately a slightly annoying puzzle boss; there's a few triggers you need to hit that are very non-obvious.

The Predator campaign gives you all the tools you need to hunt the most deadly game of all. It's pretty evenly split between humans and Aliens in terms of your enemies. And the game ends up throwing either one or the other at you at all times, so you don't have to do too much vision juggling. It's also nice how the various weapons all feel useful in one situation or another.

The biggest minus for the game is that the campaign stories are really bad. Like, there is an attempt at having an actual story, but it's so minimal that you will miss out on basically all of it. The only real story point I got was that the Marine gets written off as expendable by the company at the end, but then some random guy unlocks the door and lets me escape. There were other points where it felt like they were trying to put some story in but you couldn't really hear what was going on and this release doesn't scale up the font on high resolution monitors so you can't read the subtitles, and the subtitles don't even stay on screen the entire time the guy is talking.

By contrast, AvP 2 has the three campaigns taking place simultaneously and you need to do all three to get a sense of what's really going on; essentially each character is nibbling around the edges of the events happening. It's well told and unintrusive, and I wish this game could have had a story like that.

There's also a neat feature where after beating a campaign you unlock five bonus missions where you get to do another race's level. The Marine and Predator get some additional mobility tools when they do Alien levels to make up for the fact that they can't climb walls. I didn't bother to do it because it feels a bit gimmicky, but it's interesting in concept.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Be a MGS3 and Peace Walker. Got the true ending for Peace Walker too. That torture scene is complete fucking bullshit though. Had to use the spoon trick.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:

All games are digital.

Just to continue being pedantic... all video games are digital. ;)

And actually, that might not even be true... some might be analog. Like this. Fascinating stuff, for sure! :D