Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Key-Glyph »

MrPopo wrote:The first death was midway through the ninja stage, since that stage has some of the hardest enemies to not take damage on (damn you tigers).
There's a way to nail the tigers, but I don't know if I can explain it properly. After they land from their initial jumping entrance you have to be walking towards them as they rush you and strike right as they take off into a leap. This will knock them backwards through the air. Keep pushing forward and strike again right as they jump. If you keep repeating this -- and it falls into a regular rhythm, you'll get to the point where you just "know" when you're supposed to hit the button -- you'll slowly progress all the way to one side of the screen. The tiger will disappear for a few beats, then do its jumping entrance again. Avoid that, let it run across, then get ready to repeat the walk-strike pattern as it comes at you from the other direction. When I figured this out and could get through the tigers with no damage I felt like I owned the world.

And yes, KRANG. It's always freaking Krang.

God I love that game.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I started to get into that rhythm a bit, but still many false starts.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

First 50:
1. Star Fox 2 SNES
2. Sonic Advance 2 GBA
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U
4. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict DS
5. Joy Mech Fight Famicom
6. Grandia PS1
7. Money Idol Exchanger Game Boy
8. The Battle of Olympus NES
9. Lost Kingdoms 2 GC
10. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon DS
11. Code of Princess 3DS DL
12. Discworld Saturn
13. Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [For the Frog the Bell Tolls] Game Boy
14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 3DS DL
15. 3D Streets of Rage 3DS DL
16. Pokémon Shuffle 3DS DL
17. 3D Altered Beast 3DS DL
18. 3D Super Hang-On 3DS DL
19. 3D Space Harrier 3DS DL
20. 3D Galaxy Force II 3DS DL
21. 3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master 3DS DL
22. Sonic 3 & Knuckles Mega Drive
23. Bayonetta Wii U
24. Fighting Vipers Saturn
25. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 3DS
26. Super Castlevania IV SNES
27. Shovel Knight Wii U eShop
28. Discworld II: Missing, Presumed...!? PC
29. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Saturn
30. Chameleon Twist N64
31. Live a Live SFC
32. Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland DS
33. Splatoon Wii U
34. Mega Man X Wii U VC
35. Game & Watch Gallery Advance GBA
36. Metroid: Zero Mission GBA
37. Saturn Bomberman Saturn
38. Touch My Katamari PSN
39. Banjo-Tooie N64
40. Transbot SMS
41. Talmit's Adventure Mega Drive
42. Alien 3 SMS
43. Shinobi 3DS VC
44. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Vita
45. Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge 3DO
46. The Curse of Monkey Island PC
47. Final Fantasy VIII PS1
48. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 PSN
49. The Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse Game Gear
50. The Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse Game Gear

51. Deep Duck Trouble starring Donald Duck Game Gear
52. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX 3DS*
53. Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush Wii U
54. Retro Game Challenge DS
55. Pop Island Paperfield DSiWare
56. Stranded Kids GBC
57. Bomberman 64 N64
58. Inazuma Eleven DS
59. Bust-a-Move 4 DC
60. Sega Bass Fishing DC
61. Mario Party 8 Wii
62. Sonic Chaos Game Gear *NEW*
63. Sonic the Hedgehog SMS *NEW*

2 more for the list - both 8 bit Sonic titles.

Sonic Chaos
Sonic Chaos was my weekend beat for last weekend as I was away, and needed something very quick and easy.

Sonic Chaos the third 8 bit Sonic title after Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic 2 and as far as I know is the last Sonic platformer release on the Master System (although there were plenty more on the Game Gear)

The game is quite different to the earlier 8 bit sonic titles - it uses new sprites, which are much larger than the old ones, but also much uglier. They're still a step above the awful prerendering in the Sonic Blast titles for Game Gear though. The game tries to impress technically with some kinda neat tricks for an 8 bit system, including previously missing loop-de-loops and a few areas where you run on a slanted wall so you lean towards the camera. I'd love to say these were impressive, but honestly it was kinda forgettable.

As were the level designs. The stages are short and sparse. To enter a bonus stage, you must collect 100 rings, and this is the only Sonic games I know where doing so is quite challenging - you can run through the level collecting every ring you see on the way to the exit, take 0 hits and still be 60 rings short. This means the game encourages exploration. I preferred the more linear paths of Sonic 1 and 2 8-bit.

The game is quite fast, but you'll play it quite slow due to the Game Gear camera. It encourages you to speed up with a goal post that measures your speed (in ridiculous numbers like 638kph) but really, the exploration based gameplay and the need to not lose any rings makes this a very slow paced Sonic game. It is however, still very short and can be beaten in about 30 minutes or so if you're not bothered by bonus stages, or an hour or so if you are.

You can play as Sonic or Tails. I'm sure there are differences, but I just played as Sonic.

Sonic Chaos is a thoroughly 'OK' kind of game. It's short, easy, forgettable and not especially inspired, but it's enjoyable enough. Definitely don't rush out to buy it, but if you find it for a quid or two it's probably worth a quick play.

Sonic the Hedgehog
I normally don't list a game on here if I've beaten it before, but I'm making an exception here because I finally got all the Chaos Emeralds and completed this one fully (a task that was long overdue).

Unlike Sonic Chaos, Sonic the Hedgehog for Master System is a thoroughly excellent game. It's one of the best games on the system for sure, and in my opinion, it's also one of the best Sonic titles out there. I only like Sonic 2 for Mega Drive more.

The game plays a little differently to the Mega Drive games - it's still fast and a lot of mechanics are the same, but the level designs feel more platforming centric. It also mixes things up in a few stages much more too, such as the auto-scrolling in bridge zone and the vertical stage in Jungle Zone. In addition, chaos emeralds are hidden in the stages themselves, and some of them are quite tricky to find - the Scrap Brain one in particular seemed really unfair as it was own a pit that gave every indication it would kill you. Some require some careful thought too, like the Labyrinth zone emerald that is inside some spikes, requiring invicibility to grab it

The game is very pretty for a Master System title, with bright colours, clean graphics, fast scrolling and fluid animation. The game's soundtrack is equally impressive with bouncy melodies and fast tempo. Of course, it should be amazing as it was composed by Yuzo Koshiro and the man knows what he's doing.

The game is very easy overall, but very fun. Some people struggle with the bosses as you get no rings to fight them, but their patterns are all very easy really, although the final boss can be tricky at first. Finishing the game with all emeralds changes the ending in a very minor way.

Despite being an earlier title than Sonic Chaos, having only one character and being less technically ambitious (although still notably impressive for the system), Sonic 1 for SMS is a much, much better game. I recommend this one wholeheartedly. If you're in the US though, just import the PAL version for a quid or two. There's no need to pay a couple hundred dollars for a bar code!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I also managed a 1cc on Deathsmiles at last year's community tournament. The first and only Cave shmup I'll ever get it on.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)- Great
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)- Crap
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)- Okay
32. Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta(DLC)(PC)- Buggy Crap
33. Fallout 3: Point Lookout(DLC)(PC)- Great
34. Dying Light(Xbox One)- Great
35. Sunset Overdrive(Xbox One)- Great
36. Murdered Soul Suspect(Xbox One)- Okay
37. Ryse Son of Rome(Xbox One)- Great
38. Halo Anniversary Edition(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Good
39. Halo 2 Anniversary(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Okay
40. Halo 3(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Great
41. Halo 4(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Great
42. A Story About My Uncle(PC)- Okay
43. Valiant Hearts(XB1 GWG)- Great

A Story About My Uncle
This is a decent game if your looking for a first person platformer. Basically you character is given a gravity tether device which slowly gains new abilities as you progress through the game. Using the tether you are tasked with navigating an alternate dimension which is home to gecko people and a shit load of floating platforms :lol: . The story kind of blows, but the voice acting and characters are decent. Graphically it is a very pretty game as well with a nice variety of environments however things start to feel similar due to 80% of the environments being caves. Overall I would recommend it though at least for the whole $0.25-0.50 it cost me in the steam bundle I purchased. The game is also 4-6 hours long which is great because it ends before it's starts to drag and it's a great game to play in spurts thanks to it's check point system which is very generous in most places.

Valiant Hearts
As others have mentioned this is a great indie game the art style is great and they do a great job of setting up the World War 1 atmosphere. The writing is also really well done with 4 great playable characters all of which have a solid back story even though there is little to no dialogue. They also have sunk a ton of collectibles into the game all of which have nice little history factoids attached to them that are very detailed. Really glad that Microsoft offered this through their Games With Gold program otherwise I probably wouldn't have played it for quite a while.

Now I'm moving on to some Wolf Among US at least until my copy of Halo 5 shows up wish UPS hadn't drug their feet so much with my preorder :P.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Got the Platinum! Only musou game from Omega Force I've ever done that for. This is their best musou game period. I'm excited for the already announced sequel, and I'm not even a Dragon Quest fan.

This is the game I'd recommend to anyone who says musou/warriors games suck
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)- Great
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)- Crap
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)- Okay
32. Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta(DLC)(PC)- Buggy Crap
33. Fallout 3: Point Lookout(DLC)(PC)- Great
34. Dying Light(Xbox One)- Great
35. Sunset Overdrive(Xbox One)- Great
36. Murdered Soul Suspect(Xbox One)- Okay
37. Ryse Son of Rome(Xbox One)- Great
38. Halo Anniversary Edition(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Good
39. Halo 2 Anniversary(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Okay
40. Halo 3(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Great
41. Halo 4(Xbox One Master Chief Collection)- Great
42. A Story About My Uncle(PC)- Okay
43. Valiant Hearts(XB1 GWG)- Great
44. Halo 5 (XB1)- (SP) Okay (MP) Seems good need more time to be sure though.

Halo 5

SP

The Good:
1. Game play is still solid.
2. Changes to the game play are minimal. Pretty much the main differences are you now have a booster pack which can let you hover while aiming, ground pound, boost dodge, and do boost melees when running. You also constantly have 3 AI or Player characters that stick with you in the campaign and the up direction button gives basic orders like move here or shoot that guy.
3. It looks pretty.
4. You get to see the Elite home world for a few interesting levels and the situation with the covenant from the last game is explained a bit.

The Bad:
1. The game is way to easy. You now have 4 sets of guns in every fight, you can be revived if downed unless you get ran over or hit with a really heavy weapon, enemies are more about numbers then intelligence, and the bosses blow since it's the same guy over and over just with clones to up the difficulty :P.
2. The AI is horrible. Your only two command are move here and shoot that guy. The bots are just as bad as the enemies and tend to just run around in the open. They are also pretty bad at prioritizing targets and seem to go off and do their own thing as opposed to sticking close to you.
3. They really put all their cards on Locke for every mission you have with the chief 2-3 Locke missions. Literally half of the game Chief and Blue Team is literally walking in circles(pretty much waiting for Lockes story to catch up :lol: ) in a facility according to the narrative.
4. There isn't a set piece at the end of the game like you would have expected. Really there isn't any memorable game play sequences in the entire game as far as I can remember it's just average quality halo foot and vehicle sections.
Unless walking/crawling from point A to B counts :roll: .

5. This game has the weakest antagonist in the entire series. Mainly because you don't interact with them much.
6. Story is very complex with a ton of characters many of which aren't introduced or explained if you haven't played previous games or read the books. Blue teams entire introduction is they are childhood friends of Chief's their stories don't expand past that.
7. Introduction doesn't really ease you into the game it's straight into the action with only a minor tutorial for the new boost abilities and the one button team commands.

The Broken:
1. Be sure to hard boot your system after install otherwise the checkpoint save system won't work properly. Check points still work it just means you can stop in the middle of a mission unless you want to replay the whole level when you come back.

MP

Haven't played enough to really review it, but so far I'm really liking warzone which is a mix of base control, slayer, and mini side quest with AI enemies. I however am a little worried about the REQ packs which are basically random card packs which give you one time use items(weapons, vehicles, and etc.) as well as cosmetic items and XP boosts. Really I like how the cards work in game with the resource tier system within each match, plus I like the excitement of opening a booster pack or two after each round, but I don't like the fact that they are completely random and can be purchased with cash($2-3 a pop). The cards can really alter the course of a match and the fact that they are stripped out of the arena mode which is what they are basically wanting MLG to stick with shows that there are balancing issues thanks to that.

Edit: Turns out my numbers were wrong about the Chief levels he is only playable in 3/15 missions so 80% of the game is Locke's team.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

No conquest to speak of yet, just a gripe on what I'm working on.

In my Animal Crossing: Wild World game it's been a looooooooong time since Tom Nook's store upgraded, so I was beginning to wonder what the deal was. Apparently the final expansion is dependent on finding a friend with an AC:WW cartridge and locally connecting. Connecting over wi-fi might have worked too -- I'm unsure because this game was a serendipitous cart-only acquisition so I don't have a manual -- but that's a moot point anyway, given that the DS servers are gone. There are no alternatives for this. Boooo!

I get that this game was released in 2005 and it's now a decade later, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wish that games like these would refrain from making connectivity a requirement for stuff. It really cripples the experience. I wonder if there are other aspects I'll miss out on? Are there certain bugs or fish that will never show up in my town unless a friend drops by? Will I never be able to complete my museum exhibits for Blathers?!

At least my house is flippin' sweet, I'll tell you what.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Key, I believe the technical term for the solution to your issue is called, "Sequels".

Going forward I don't think it'll be as much of an issue since we have standardized online networks and games being cut off are now due to individual publishers, rather than backbone services. Pretty much everyone is running their own stuff now.

Also, the manual gives no specifics about any of the upgrade systems, just that they're possible.

To be fair, I think Nintendo was very cognizant that they didn't control those online services and didn't make anything reliant upon them that didn't need to be. (Unlike some other online services)

Local play is still possible. Just gotta do the logistics.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Cronozilla wrote:Going forward I don't think it'll be as much of an issue since we have standardized online networks and games being cut off are now due to individual publishers, rather than backbone services. Pretty much everyone is running their own stuff now.

Well, unless your online network is called Games for Windows Live.