Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
mjmjr25

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by mjmjr25 »

dsheinem wrote:Escape Goat 2 is nowhere near as good as the first. Compared to the first it is far too easy, the graphical charm has been largely replaced with a less pixely style, and even the structure of the map and stuff feels less substantive. I suppose there may be more goodies hidden in the end game content/secret rooms, but the first one kicked your ass and made an impression through the main game. This one, by comparison, was a cake walk.

I'm at a loss if you're serious.

EG 2 has more rooms, more multi-step puzzle solving, greatly enhanced graphics and sounds, and the controls are much smoother. I don't say this to argue - I just want to ensure people who haven't played either are sure to spend their money wisely.

EG 2 > $40 > Cutting toenails > EG 1
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

mjmjr25 wrote:EG 2 > $40 > Cutting toenails > EG 1

I agree! Cutting Toenails is pretty awesome!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Markies wrote:I beat Samurai Shodown for the Sega Genesis this evening!

I got into this game because of the great Capcom Vs. SNK games I played on the Playstation 1. I had heard of the game when I was younger, but didn't know much about it. To be honest, I was on the fence with the game for a long while. It was interesting, but it was beginning to reek of stiff SNK/Takara controls and cheap fighters that they are known for. However, after putting some time into it, I actually beat it this evening.

I wouldn't say its the best fighting game or even a great one as the controls are very clunky. Also, the damage is rather random for your character as I would sometimes have to hit somebody 20 times while they could hit me like 4 times to kill me. The characters are really interesting and I think the weapon based system, but it is not a smooth port in the slightest. Not a bad game at all, but could be much better.

I suggest playing Samurai Shodown 2 to get the full effect of the series. It keeps the spirit of the series alive without moving towards a more special move focused gameplay and playing a weird positional based game that the later games like 5 does.

I look at Samurai Shodown as being my all-time favorite 2D fighting game series with Virtua Fighter being my favorite 3D fighting game series and there is a lot going on behind the scenes for both that a lot of people don't really try to see. I am glad you beat the first, but really give the second a try.

Unfortunately, I have no way of playing Neo Geo games on Neo Geo Systems, but I am quite curious to continue the series. I really felt like the problems I was having was because of the port of the game to the Genesis. I didn't think it was the game itself because it seemed to have a good base.

I grew up playing Street Fighter II, so I kind of base every fighting game off of that. The flow isn't quite the same, but it is very unique. I am intrigued in the series and I am curious to see how it evolves in the future.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Markies wrote:
Unfortunately, I have no way of playing Neo Geo games on Neo Geo Systems, but I am quite curious to continue the series. I really felt like the problems I was having was because of the port of the game to the Genesis. I didn't think it was the game itself because it seemed to have a good base.

I grew up playing Street Fighter II, so I kind of base every fighting game off of that. The flow isn't quite the same, but it is very unique. I am intrigued in the series and I am curious to see how it evolves in the future.

Oh, yeah, the transition from Street Fighter to any other fighting game, especially SNK games is a very jarring change. I highly recommend taking a look at guides and FAQs to learn the characters and learn the mechanics, as there are a ton of stuff that sit behind the scenes. Yeah, find any way to grab the Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2 or Wii, as it includes every 2D samurai Shodown game, including VI which was never released in the states until then. It is actually really really good, but still not as good as II.

Also, if you have a Sega CD, that version of Samurai Shodown is VERY good, although still missing Earthquake. There are load times, which stink, but the sound, art and responsiveness are almost spot on to the original. It is a lot of fun!

I realized, when getting into a new fighting game outside of the norm that reading guides definitely help you understand how the game should be played, which is directly related to the level of enjoyment in the game. I know this, because everyone stinks on Virtua Fighter, only because they play Tekken or Street Fighter and there is no fighting game like it to compare really.
Last edited by BogusMeatFactory on Tue May 26, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I know this, because everyone stinks of Virtua Fighter, only because they play Tekken or Street Fighter and there is no fighting game like it to compare really.

*ahem*

<--- Lau player
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fantastic game. It plays similarly to The Adventures of Cookie and Cream - that is, one player controls two characters simultaneously to solve puzzles - but its tone is much, much darker than any game in that series. The world is beautifully rendered; the game has an excellent soundtrack; and the game's mechanics add a lot to the story's emotional impact. I highly, highly recommend this game.

Also, the first two entries in the Samurai Shodown series are amazing. I can't recommend them highly enough, but you should not go into them expecting games like Street Fighter II. Each one is much more like a 2D Bushido Blade.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I know this, because everyone stinks of Virtua Fighter, only because they play Tekken or Street Fighter and there is no fighting game like it to compare really.

*ahem*

<--- Lau player

Amen brother! Good to always have another lover of the fine arts! I am a Lau player for Virtua Fighter pre-Final Showdown. Now I am a Pai player for 5, simply because I love her style of play and bevy of confusing moves and variety. It is THE game series that made me fall in love with competitive play. I would spend so much time at the arcades taking on all-comers. It is the fine wine of gaming!

Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Amen brother! Good to always have another lover of the fine arts! I am a Lau player for Virtua Fighter pre-Final Showdown. Now I am a Pai player for 5, simply because I love her style of play and bevy of confusing moves and variety. It is THE game series that made me fall in love with competitive play. I would spend so much time at the arcades taking on all-comers. It is the fine wine of gaming!

It is. I picked it up with VF3 in arcades but got into the series heavy with VF4 around 2002 and actually went back to VF and VF2(and some offshoots like VFKids). Lau ended up becoming a favorite because of his aggressive combat style and huge number of methods to suddenly close distance on an opponent. I eventually ended up convincing a few other folks to play it heavily too, so now one of my buddies is quite a Wolf player, and I managed to go toe to toe with some of the best players in my area in college. It was fun times, though a lot of hard work. It definitely improved my abilities in 3D fighters in general though. VF made me better at Soul Calibur!
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)

9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)

Pulled this game out of a SNES lot I bought recently. Played this a ton when I was a kid and then moved on to Turbo and Super. Going back to the original version I thought the slow speed would be a turn off. I was very wrong.

The slower speed didn't even seem that slow for long, especially once I got to the boss fights. Looking back now I am amazed at just how good this game still is. There's nothing I could say about this game that hasn't been said by other over the years. I played through with Ryu and had a blast.

10. Secret of Mana (SNES)

My thoughts are captured in the Together Retro thread. Short version - this game has it's flaws, but I still loved playing it. One of my favourite 16 bit games.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Ack wrote: I eventually ended up convincing a few other folks to play it heavily too, so now one of my buddies is quite a Wolf player, and I managed to go toe to toe with some of the best players in my area in college. It was fun times, though a lot of hard work. It definitely improved my abilities in 3D fighters in general though. VF made me better at Soul Calibur!

Isn't that the best time when you get someone involved in trying to learn a game together? I had a friend who played through Samurai Shodown II with me at an arcade cabinet in our backwater country General Store and as adults, spent so much more time with it actually trying to master the game. Those were the best of times!