Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:BMF: I had been thinking of doing the same; playing another GTA to pump myself up for V since it got delayed to March. Though I was considering doing the pre-order and playing whichever one you get free w/ it (I think it's San Andreas if I recall). I have played Vice City. And I've played both PSP games. Like you, I've never actually beat one though. I'm not sure I even have any intention of beating V, as I'm far more pumped about just exploring that game than actually playing the story.

Isn't that always the case? I think that is why the on-line aspect is much more appealing to me and ultimately why I want the game. I played some of the main story of V and enjoyed it. The world is interesting, but I feel that the interaction with other people is what will make it something really special. I know, I know, that the majority of the on-line game is filled with people just out to play a deathmatch game, but for me... I play those types of games a bit differently.

Anyways, yes, San Andreas is the free game that comes with it and that is one that I will probably tackle before V comes out on PC as well, just to get a feel. I am arguing whether to pre-order or not, since I have enough steam credit from christmas to get it and then some, but for some reason, I am hesitant.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

nullPointer wrote:Ugh. Yeah, that doesn't sound promising. This could very well wind up being one of my early contenders for Games Not Beaten in 2015. I'll see how it goes, but I'm definitely approaching with some degree of trepidation now. :|

I actually enjoyed Rygar (PS2) quite a bit, and I do not recall it being extraordinarily challenging. If you can get through any of the seventh generation Castlevania or God of War games - which "borrow" a lot of Rygar's mechanics - you probably will not struggle with it. Moreover, the game is incredibly short, and you can easily get through it in five or six hours.

Finally, there is an equally inexpensive Wii port of the game, but despite the fact that the Wii port is almost identical to the PS2 original (and despite the fact that the PS2 original received glowing reviews), everyone hated the Wii port for some reason.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

A few years ago I played Rygar on PS2. I thought it was a fun game until I got to the final boss. The final boss is a two part fight. The first fight is tedious but doable, it just takes a while. The second fight is lightning fast and the boss in that fight can kill you in two or three hits. The shitty part is when you die, you have to redo the first boss fight all over again. I tried this a few times until my patience ran out with having to redo that first boss fight too many times only to die nearly instantly in the second half. Maybe someday I'll go back and "git gud" but it was still a bunch of shit.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS *new*

Total: 7

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

I haven't been playing games very much the last week or two, but I did finally play through this one after picking it up for short bursts off and on the past couple of weeks. In truth, I think I like the minis formula much less than the pure platforming of the GB game or the hybrid platforming/minis approach to the GBA title. It is still fun and makes good use of the stylus, but I really enjoyed the style of platforming found in the earlier titles and was sad to see it eschewed all together from this one.

I know that there's a new entry in the series coming out soon and I am wondering what games between that one and this one I should check out.

They are:
Minis March Again!
Mini-Land Mayhem!
Minis on the Move

Are these just more of the same, ultimately? It's a shame that they moved away from what I felt made the series seem so great in those first two entries. :(
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

1. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Wii U
3. God of War - PS2

Total Games for 2015: 3

God of War - PS2
I have never been a big fan of the hack and slash genre. They just always felt too repetitive to keep my interest.

God of War utterly changed my view, what a great game. The control scheme has enough depth to keep you interested with upgrade, but is simple enough that if you don't play for a week you are not stuck trying to remember how to play the game.

The story is one I found interesting with the heavy Greek mythology setting, I don't feel there is much point going into it in great detail as I am most likely the last person in the world to play God of War, but I am glad I have and will most likely play through the rest of the series throughout the year.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

emwearz wrote:1. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Wii U
3. God of War - PS2

Total Games for 2015: 3

God of War - PS2
I have never been a big fan of the hack and slash genre. They just always felt too repetitive to keep my interest.

God of War utterly changed my view, what a great game. The control scheme has enough depth to keep you interested with upgrade, but is simple enough that if you don't play for a week you are not stuck trying to remember how to play the game.

The story is one I found interesting with the heavy Greek mythology setting, I don't feel there is much point going into it in great detail as I am most likely the last person in the world to play God of War, but I am glad I have and will most likely play through the rest of the series throughout the year.

How have you not played these? :lol:

God of War II is still my fave, but both the PS3/PSP games are some of the best titles for those systems.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I know a lot of people here don't like God of War because Kratos is such an asshole, but I played to the end of 1 and 2 and I loved them both.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Because like I said Hack and Slash games (Devil May Cry, Dante's Inferno) are just not my thing, despite this I have I have 4 of the games in my collection.

I fixed (for the most part) my Sony Trinitron and was seeing how the game looked, I felt like just playing the first few levels, like I tend to in most H&S before I find the formula repetitive, but I really enjoyed God of War, enough to play it through and have ambition to play others in the series.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

J T wrote:I know a lot of people here don't like God of War because Kratos is such an asshole, but I played to the end of 1 and 2 and I loved them both.

I played through GOW and GOWII. I loved the games and hated Kratos. If he was not the protagonist, I would probably consider them among the very best games of their generation.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
J T wrote:I know a lot of people here don't like God of War because Kratos is such an asshole, but I played to the end of 1 and 2 and I loved them both.

I played through GOW and GOWII. I loved the games and hated Kratos. If he was not the protagonist, I would probably consider them among the very best games of their generation.

I don't see how you can't consider them amongst the best anyway.

I don't get most of the Kratos hate. He's a fairly cliche spartan warrior that is more or less in the mold of Odysseus crossed with Frank Miller, and he's out for vengeance against the gods that destroyed his life. Not sure what people want - he's certainly not a character with a ton of nuance and depth, but he's still better fleshed out than the vast majority of protagonists in games.