Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Gamerforlife »

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - PS4

Aside from the obnoxious over use of a certain mini-game (someone on the design team clearly has a massive, throbbing boner for Guitar Hero), this may be one of the greatest puzzles games...well, one of the greatest games of any genre that I've ever played. In fact, this one is going on my all time favorites list.

The game seems to have inspiration from point and click style, PC puzzle games yet continually surprises you with all of the interesting things it does with its gameplay that go far beyond simply pointing and clicking. In fact, this game is a fantastic example of how to properly mold that genre to console. This is a gold standard.

The graphics are gorgeous, the audio is excellent from the voice samples to the soundtrack, the story is quite good though it ends rather abruptly, and the overall design of the game not just gameplaywise but the things it does visually and with sound are just brilliant...except for those stupid Guitar Hero sequences, a minor blemish on an otherwise perfect game, like a pimple on a super model.

Just as an example of some of this game's absolutely brilliant moments, watch and listen to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAPsfQgZsVA

There are other great moments too that make this game feel like so much more than just a puzzle game(like actual boss fights).

On a final note, the game is actually educational, offering a wealth of info regarding World War I that would make it a perfect homework assignment for a school class. It treats its subject material (war) with maturity rarely seen in gaming. This game is as close to a 10 as a game gets. Had I played it last year, it would have been a GOTY contender for me.

After loving this and Until Dawn, I am really impressed by the various ways old PC, point and click games have evolved. I love both games.

EDIT: I turned off the hint system before starting. I think being given hints would spoil the game a bit. The puzzles are very logical. I only struggled on one. So maybe only use this feature if you're really frustrated.
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
48. Shadowrun Returns (PC)(RPG)
49. Mobile Forces (PC)(FPS)

50. Tower of Guns (PC)(FPS)

Ah, at the magical 50 mark. From now on, spoiler tags!

Also, I've beaten Tower of Guns...as in, the game recorded me getting a win. I am not finished with Tower of Guns though. There is still plenty to do. According to the game I have unlocked or collected only 64% of all it has to offer, and I have yet to beat the secret final boss, though I came pretty close last night.

Tower of Guns is a roguelike twitch FPS, where you must traverse five levels to defeat the machines that lie within the heart of the tower. The only real standard to the game is that the rooms you enter are predesigned, so after playing for a while you will recognize each individual room layout. The levels also tend towards a certain order, though I've found level 3 tends to switch between either the warehouse or the battlements. But the enemies within, the items, the set of levels, the bosses, and even the story is randomized.

Yes, the story; there are actually quite a few possible stories in Tower of Guns, all of which are inconsequential and are more used as a vehicle for humor than anything else. You can even disable the story if you so wish. Instead, the game focuses on the meat and potatoes of twitch gameplay at its core. You are going to be spending your time running, jumping, and weaving through all manner of big ass bullets, lasers, and explosions while avoiding nasty hazards like bottomless pits, spikes, gears, and lava. At the end of each level, you will face a boss, but which boss at which point is randomized. Perhaps it will be the Big Ol' Wall of Turrets. Perhaps it will be Grandpa Napoleon. Perhaps it is the Longhorn, or the Pipe Organ, or Doctor Turret, or the Egg Scrambler, or the Big Ol' Spikeroom. Who knows? The only set bosses are the two final bosses: the Gumball Machine and the secret The Maw. Hell, I've played through the game a bunch of times now, and I still haven't seen all of the possible bosses.

To beat them, you have to pick a gun and a perk at the start. When you first start off, there are only a couple of guns and perks to pick from, but as you play through the game again and again, you eventually will meet the requirements for unlocking more. Each of the guns is a take on a particular archetype from FPS, though they have creative names like the Peas-n-Carrots Pistol, Portable Pizza Thrower, the Kegerator, and the 609mm Handcannon. Different guns have different playstyles with different benefits, and all can be leveled up over the course of a run from level 1 to level 5(or higher with a particular perk) which will generally make each gun more powerful or more capable. There are also many hidden guns to find, such as the Panflute, the GG 9000, the Partybringer, and the Absurditron 9000, but none of these can be kept beyond the end of a run. Certain guns also have hidden benefits, such as having enough recoil to enable the player to fly when you shoot straight down. Backing the guns, perks add some kind of change to the player from the start and must be unlocked by performing certain tasks. These do things like give the player a triple jump from the start, boost speed but drop armor, make the player immune to fall damage or environmental damage, or even make the player immune to self-inflicted damage from guns(trust me, it happens a lot with certain weapons). As of right now, I have one gun and two perks left to unlock.

To add to this, there are many badges to find over the course of a run, as well as usable items and weapon mods. All of these can be a huge boon, and the game tracks which items and weapon mods you have encountered. Unfortunately the game doesn't tell you what the items do, even in the Collection list, and you cannot ever choose an item or weapon mod to start with. If there is one thing I wish ToG did differently, it would be letting me have one of these from the start based on what I had already unlocked, as opposed to just hoping I get lucky. But then, that might make the game too easy I guess. Badges, on the other hand, are stat boosts for that particular run. They may add speed, armor, damage, an extra jump, jump height, luck, or even modify the difficulty of the game.

There is a lot of luck involved in Tower of Guns, and a lot of skill. There is also a lot of planning involved in certain aspects. For instance, getting to the secret levels usually requires some prepping ahead of time, such as taking a particular perk or avoiding killing certain enemies. There are also many, many secrets hidden throughout the game. These are typically the same in each roomtype(so if you found a secret in a room, when you encounter that same room again later, there will still be a secret in that same spot). Generally speaking, mobility is key. And expect to die. A lot. It took me many tries to figure out the Gumball Machine before I finally beat it, despite being able to race through most of the game from the very beginning(the tutorial story was impressed I survived to the fourth level with no idea what I was doing). I have yet to beat The Maw. You also have to make a conscious decision on whether you want to face The Maw, as you have to beat the Gumball Machine to get to it and then take a secret elevator. Taking the winning elevator after the Gumball Machine records a win, while losing to The Maw records a loss, hence why I only have one win recorded; I keep going back to fight The Maw.

Bottom line: I love Tower of Guns. Twitch FPS fans, you need to try this. It is insane and amazing. Also, play it on PC; some content had to be cut in the console version.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

1- Heavenly Sword (Ps3)
2- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
3- Sonic Generations (Ps3)
4- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
5- Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds (3DS)
6- Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
7- Pokemón Crystal (GBC)
8- Pokemón Fire Red (GBA)
9- Pokémon Y (3DS)*
10- Duke Nukem Forever (PS3)
11- New Super Mario Bros (DS)
12- Dishonored (PS3)
13- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
14- House of the dead overkill (Ps3)
15- The Evil Within (PS3)
16- Portal 2 (PS3)
17- Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
18- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
19- Adventure Time: Hey Ice king why did you steal our garbage? (3DS)
20- Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (PS3)
21- Darksiders 2 (PS3)
22- Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
23- Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3)

Now i already give my toughs on the game in the RGT threat so i wont go into detail.
Now im hoping that the next games go back to be silly action movies instead of this philosofical crap that they made up in the game.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

1) Cannon Spike - Dreamcast
2) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - PC
3) Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS (as Mighty No. 9)
4) Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - PSP (Vile Mode)
5) StarCraft - PC
6) Naughty Bear - Xbox 360
7) The Last of Us - PS3
8] Eets (100-percented) - PC
9) Gunpoint - PC
10) The Last Story - Wii
11) Papers, Please - PC (Ending 18)
12) King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGD VGA remake)
13) Dune 2000 - PC (easy :()
14) Clock Tower: The First Fear - PC (S Ending)
15-19) Sam & Max Season 3: The Devil's Playhouse - PC
20) Dishonored - PC

21) Call of Juarez - PC

I played the demo for this back when it came out in '06, and never got around to buying it until a bit ago. And after playing the full game, I'm kinda glad I did. Overall I enjoyed the game, but there are some serious flaws here. I'll go over the good first: The chapters involving Reverend Ray (one of the two playable characters (except for the first one) rock. They're challenging, exciting, and well-crafted, has a nice Western feel, and demonstrate what FPS campaigns are all about. The dual-wielding system (similar to Halo 2) is flawed, but it in addition to the weapon degradation system lend the game a unique feel. The graphics looked good for the time, and the music while not something I'll download is a decent enough listen. Finally, Call of Juarez's story isn't deep or unpredictable, but it is entertaining enough to last 'til the end of the campaign.

Now, onto the bad. Oh boy, there's quite a bit. First, Billy's chapters fucking suck. They're bad in both concept and implementation. The first chapter has Billy carefully sliding down a steep hill. What pulse-pounding action, constantly pressing the S key to keep from falling down too fast. :roll: There's also a gameplay mechanic which involves Billy using his rope to swing like Tarzan from platform to platform. Admittedly, it is kinda cool when it works, but more often than not it is an exercise in frustration when you either can't see where you'd land or have the rope make contact with a given surface. The enemies are kinda crap as well due to them being dumbass bullet-sponges. Don't even get me started on the broke ass stealth sections.

While I was able to list more negatives than positives of Call of Juarez, I definitely enjoyed the game more than I swore at it. Even the terrible aspects reflected a positive of the game: ambition. Techland were aiming high towards an ass-kicking, bar-brawling, rope-swinging, stealthy adventure with this game, and I can commend that. Techland may have failed, but what works is rather fun and one can squint his/her eyes to see what they were going for.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I've always enjoyed Techland games ... but not because they're good. They're always way too ambitious (even to this day, when they actually have money).

If you want to experience extreme me-too-ism at its finest, play the game they made before Call of Juarez, Chrome. It looks real slick (for the time), but gets to be a pain in the ass, fast.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I liked Dying Light quite a bit, just a fun game.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2015
First 50 of the year:
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4
Mad Riders - PS3
Destiny: House of Wolves - PS4
Escape Goat 2 - PS4
Tower of Guns - PS4
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PC
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - PS3

NotGTAV - - PC
Flower - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture- PS4
Towerfall - PS4
Cyberbots - PS1
Battletoads (Arcade) - Xbox One
Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious - Xbox One
Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions - Vita
Rocket League - PS4
Far Cry 4 - PS4
Her Story - PC *new*
Destiny: The Taken King - PS4 *new*

Total: 63

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

I thought Her Story was an interesting idea from a game design perspective, but ultimately didn't find the actual game itself or its multilayered/open-ended story compelling in any real way. *shrugs*

I am counting The Taken King because I beat the main campaign and hit the level cap. It is good but then again I've always liked this game and have gone back to it for a good chunk of hours with each expansion. I hope to keep playing this one for at least another few weeks...
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:I am counting The Taken King because I beat the main campaign and hit the level cap. It is good but then again I've always liked this game and have gone back to it for a good chunk of hours with each expansion. I hope to keep playing this one for at least another few weeks...

Damn, I still don't consider the vanilla game completed because I am missing the God of War shader :lol:

I am 240 light, if you see me on, join me Dave we can do post game content (of which there is more than the "main story").
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

emwearz wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I am counting The Taken King because I beat the main campaign and hit the level cap. It is good but then again I've always liked this game and have gone back to it for a good chunk of hours with each expansion. I hope to keep playing this one for at least another few weeks...

Damn, I still don't consider the vanilla game completed because I am missing the God of War shader :lol:

I am 240 light, if you see me on, join me Dave we can do post game content (of which there is more than the "main story").

What is your typical playing hours these days?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:
emwearz wrote:

What is your typical playing hours these days?

Generally from about an hour ago, to about 6 hours from now I tend to be home during the week (I afternoon shifts at the moment).

Just make sure you do the post credit mission where you unlock free roaming n the Dreadnaught, so much fun to be had!