Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Did you play with the mouse look hack?

Is there any sort of mouse look hack for the Ultima Underworld series?

There doesn't appear to be.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:
Ack wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Did you play with the mouse look hack?

Is there any sort of mouse look hack for the Ultima Underworld series?

There doesn't appear to be.

Considering the way that mouse movement is built into the UU games, mouse look would directly conflict with its implementation. I'm not surprised this hasn't been modded into the games yet.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

System Shock is actually quite similar to UU in how the mouse is handled. The way the mouselook mod works in System Shock is that there's a button that toggles between modern mouselook and floating cursor. So you run through the world killing robots and mutants, then you run into an area with some stuff you want to manipulate and you switch to floating cursor to manipulate things.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Blu wrote:1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)
14. Pokemon Soul Silver - Nintendo DS (April 2)
15. Pokemon White 2 - Nintendo DS (April 14)
16. Pokemon X - Nintendo 3DS (April 30)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Xbox One (May 3)
18. Pokemon Shuffle - Nintendo 3DS (May 12)
19. Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain - PC / iPhone (May 17)
20. Splatoon - Wii U (June 7)

This is an endearing little shooter. It's one of the most unique titles I've played in a while. In some ways, it felt some Super Mario Galaxy / Super Mario Sunshine vibes from it, but still very different. I turned off the motion controls, I didn't care for them all that much. I have been playing Online for an hour here and there, but I went through the single player campaign and most of the Amiibo challenges. This is one that I hope keeps with the content updates, and I'll be enjoying it for some time to come.

I've heard that Splatoon started life as another Super Mario Sunshine, so I guess that feeling makes sense!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Erik_Twice wrote:That was a great write-up CFFJR! I actually wanted to try out the game after I heard HG101's podcast on it and now I want to try it out even more. Shame it would be so difficult for me to play it on the go...

Thanks!

You should definitely give it a try if you're able, but it is also not a portable friendly game. Having said that, System Shock Portable (that Exhuminator linked to) can run off of a usb device, so you could carry it around with you and play at any computer. I don't know if that will help any, but its worth mentioning.

Congratulations on your 1cc!

Xeogred wrote:Considering I love the Thief series, System Shock 2, and Ultima Underworld, I really should give System Shock 1 another shot.

Did you play with the mouse look hack?

You really should! I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't like it.

I did play with mouse look, and its very handy. It works as Mr. Popo described, using the E key to toggle. I ended up switching back and forth between mouse look and cursor quite often during combat.

Exhuminator wrote:Yes they were. And so are you, for going back in time and enjoying System Shock.

To be 100% honest I believe Looking Glass Studios were the best game designers to ever have existed.

:mrgreen:

I can't argue with that point of view. This one game was enough to blow my mind, and I say that not having played their other stuff.

MrPopo wrote::D

You totally get it. You've hit exactly on what makes System Shock so fantastic, and why I actually consider it to be better than System Shock 2 (and I played both for the first time last year, so there's no nostalgia goggles here).

:D

It really was an amazing, unique experience. I intend to play SS2 (started a file, chose navy), but SS1 has set the bar so ridiculously high that I worry I'll end up disappointed. It makes perfect sense to me that you prefer 1.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:I intend to play SS2 (started a file, chose navy), but SS1 has set the bar so ridiculously high that I worry I'll end up disappointed.

System Shock 2 is just as good as System Shock. They just play a lot differently. The first game is a cyberpunk-dungeon adventure, the second game is a cyberpunk-survival horror FPS. There's enough similarities between the two that they feel totally connected, yet enough differences that they play as completely unique experiences. You will not be disappointed. I can't imagine you being disappointed.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I can finally post a beaten game! Whee!

It's Picross DS, though, so not your traditional stuff. Been chipping away at it for a while, a great little puzzler when you've got a short window to play. It's also interesting to see how many advanced-level techniques you end up figuring out as you keep going. It tops out at 25x20 in this version, which can take a while but is by no means impossible.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
CFFJR wrote:I intend to play SS2 (started a file, chose navy), but SS1 has set the bar so ridiculously high that I worry I'll end up disappointed.

System Shock 2 is just as good as System Shock. They just play a lot differently. The first game is a cyberpunk-dungeon adventure, the second game is a cyberpunk-survival horror FPS. There's enough similarities between the two that they feel totally connected, yet enough differences that they play as completely unique experiences. You will not be disappointed. I can't imagine you being disappointed.

Oh, System Shock 2 is a fantastic game. I just felt like SS1's approach to picking up the story pieces and objectives more organically was much more engaging, whereas SS2 has more of a mission control feel to it that didn't mesh in my mind with the survival horror stuff. By contrast, Deus Ex has the same sort of mission control but it feels better with the kind of story and gameplay they're presenting.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sarge wrote:I can finally post a beaten game! Whee!

It's Picross DS, though, so not your traditional stuff. Been chipping away at it for a while, a great little puzzler when you've got a short window to play. It's also interesting to see how many advanced-level techniques you end up figuring out as you keep going. It tops out at 25x20 in this version, which can take a while but is by no means impossible.

I love Picross and never understood why it wasn't as popular of a puzzle game here in the States. I remember spending an eternity on Mario Picross on the Gameboy as a kid. I had to snatch up on the virtual console to relive it. I absolutely adore this type of puzzle game and am glad some other people out there like it too!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ain't nothing wrong with Picross, Sarge. Come to think of it, I believe the NGPC Picross import was the first NGPC game I beat...