Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by fastbilly1 »

We are going to play two maps for you, final boss and the stage you will like the most.

The back to Iron Brigade!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:We are going to play two maps for you, final boss and the stage you will like the most.

Does it have trains?

The back to Iron Brigade!

Will reinstall!
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:We are going to play two maps for you, final boss and the stage you will like the most.

Does it have trains?

It has a pain train...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:It has a pain train...

every game I play with you does. :|
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Mercenary Kings is an odd game, I felt like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I wonder if they ever patched the invincibility glitch, made some of the game's more annoying parts a breeze for me. And man, I think that game crashed on me more than anything else I've played on the PS4
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC

Just finished another selection for this year's Together RPG. Anachronox is another western developed RPG inspired by the JRPG tradition, similar to Septerra Core. But there's a big difference: Anachronox is GOOD.

You play as Sylvester "Sly" Boots, a private eye who starts the game down on his luck and in for big money to the local crime lord. You start off things by trying to find a case to try and pay off your debts, but that case quickly leads to uncovering a threat to the very fabric of the universe. You will assemble a motley crew from various walks of life as you try to uncover what's going on, and by the end you are all set to end the threat.

Then the game ends.

Yeah, essentially this game got split like Golden Sun, except part 2 was never created. The game ends with a few character arcs finished, but now you have the massive cliffhanger it leaves you with. It's not wholly unsatisfying, but it is a major disappointment Anachronox 2 was never created. Though I've heard that SquareEnixEidos is open to the idea of revisiting old franchises, so maybe they'll give it a chance.

The combat system is ATB with positioning mattering. You can move across a grid that is unique to each fight (though generally it's in the shape of a hexagon with a center node as well as the six corners) and melee characters/enemies need to be near their targets. Similarly, if a character/enemy is between you and your target and you're ranged your line of sight might be blocked (though it has to be pretty much a straight line through the three; being offset even a little is fine). Characters have both skills and magic (though that doesn't appear until later).

One way the game really shows its western influence is in the huge emphasis on exploration and dialog. Combat is definitely secondary in this game, and aside from the occasional group during exploration the majority happens in designated dungeons. Many of these dungeons have a puzzle solving component in them, culminating in a final dungeon reminiscent of Kefka's Tower. In order to aid these explorations every character gets a field skill. These include lockpicking, retrieving distant objects, or talking someone's ear off. The game will force party members on you when these skills are needed to proceed, but many times they are used to get bonus items. Executing these skills involve playing a short minigame, where success at the game means success at using the skill. Fortunately, you can retry as many times as you want on failure. The game also has a few other times it uses minigames during certain transitions that a normal JRPG might just show you going from A to B.

The game isn't perfect, though. The first thing it likes to do is be vague about the various systems, which include your stats. You don't get stat numbers; you instead get bar graphs which give you a relative notion that you are better than another character at something, or this weapon is an upgrade. Additionally, the magic system is left somewhat vague. It makes sense from a story perspective, but that doesn't help the gameplay. Spells can be used on enemies to deal damage and inflict statuses, while used on your party they heal the status (or act as a heal spell for the non-status element). This gets a passing mention but it doesn't really go into detail. Similarly, midway through you gain the ability to essentially create custom magic, but the game is absurdly vague about how it works. Since everything in game is explained by in-universe characters it makes sense why it's vague, but again, it annoys the player. The final thing that tend to annoy me is the game likes to have some enemies have way too noticeable of an evade rate. Septerra Core suffered from a similar problem. There's enough time between attacks that having those misses is a real feel bad. Most Final Fantasies either made them rare enough (or only on certain enemies that are expected to be evasive) or when it was more common gave you a bunch of attacks with every Fight command.

But those are mostly minor quibbles. The game was still engrossing enough that I played it pretty steadily. I would have finished earlier but I was intentionally pacing myself.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

MrPopo wrote:I would have finished earlier but I was intentionally pacing myself.

:lol:
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power HD for Android

One of the "Actually Free" games from Amazon Underground.

The game itself is a mashup, albeit an inorganic one, of hidden object gameplay with solitaire-inspired elements (the latter takes up most of the game).

The hidden object elements are less prevalent, and the solitaire elements are based less on actual solitaire, so it's not about playing Klondike, Pyramid or Freecell (the first two are my preferred solitaire games).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES

You know what game this is more fun than? Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I'm sure Bone can describe this game's lineage better than I can, so I'll just stick with how it made me feel.

So it starts off by having both better and worse combat than Zelda II. Zelda II's downstab is amazing, and there's some interesting enemies beyond "run at the player", but on the flip side you'll take a lot of damage unless you're SUPER good at dodging/blocking. And that sword length is pathetic, the sword beam is useless against most of what you really want it for, and the magic is mostly focused on puzzle solving and oh shit use Life. By contrast, Faxanadu has useful magic that you can use a lot against enemies, but -not enough that you can just spam. Your sword is of a decent length once you get the real sword early on and there is less cheap "you take damage now" (though there is still some when enemies drop down on top of you). The enemies aren't as interesting as Zelda II's; they mostly either run at you, jump around, or fire magic. The boss enemies aren't really interesting either.

The exploration is more interesting than Zelda's. More platforming, more winding paths, and a few hidden areas. But none of it is the level of maze as the final dungeon in Zelda II (which is a good thing, that final dungeon was evil if you went the wrong way). And the hints the townspeople give are much more helpful than what Zelda II gives you. Oh, and having save points in towns is amazing. It shouldn't be; it should just be expected. But Zelda II makes it seem much more awesome than it actually is. The save system is also subject to a bit of abuse; you should never want for potions or keys once you get a couple levels under your belt thanks to dying/loading a save starting you off with gold according to level. On the flip side, levels don't really mean anything except that gold spawn.

The final boss was pretty meh, though, and Zelda II definitely gets the win there.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.