Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.

It was a pretty enjoyable hack and slash aside from the Final set of levels being stuck behind a collection completion lock and the final boss which was a complete and utter troll fest on the part of the devs. Simply put I would advise anyone who plays this to play through the game thoroughly collect all the chests you can during your first run through since you will be met with a unlock wall that requires a ton of grinding for gold ands you are also forced to go back and collect weapons you might have missed. Also don't even bother with the final boss unless you really really want the trophy it will completely spoil the game. Simply put the final bosses soul purpose is to piss you off. After two hours of trying to clear the 7 minute rhythm game from hell I just said fuck it and went to you tube where I could at least enjoy the boss battle which is a work of art in it self and the "good" ending.

I know by many peoples standards I have not beaten the game however I'm going to count this one, throw it on a shelf, and probably never play it again because by far the final boss fight in this game is the most frustrating gaming moment I have ever experienced. I mean I have beaten games like Quantum Theory which are annoying as hell and nearly broken to the point of being unplayable and yet this final boss takes the cake as being the most frustrating I have ever seen in a video game ever :P. Literally I have never thrown a controller in my life and the "Final Song" of this game got me within inches of doing it.

Edited:

Added notation to Drakengard 3
Last edited by Fragems on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Fragems wrote:I know by many peoples standards I have not beaten the game however I'm going to count this one, throw it on a shelf, and probably never play it again because by far the final boss fight in this game is the most frustrating gaming moment I have ever experienced.

*raises hand*

sounds like the game beat you... :twisted:

I dunno, man, your list is your list of course but if you didn't see credits, loop the game, finish a story through to the end, etc. it is hard to argue that it should legit count. Perhaps it should go on the "Games NOT Beaten 2015" thread instead? It sucks that the end boss is tough and deviates from the rest of the game so much, but many end game bosses and final levels are giant pains in the ass (e.g. Freedom Planet). It's just inevitable that you'll run into these as you play through stuff throughout the year.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Time for a new list. Hopefully I actually keep up with this one.

1. New Super Mario Bros U

I didn't come into this game with very high expectations. I had played both NSMB and NSMBW before this one, and while I enjoyed them well enough, I didn't find either to be very exciting. However, I was very quickly surprised by NSMBU. It still holds to the same basic structure that the other NSMB games (And SMB games in general) have, but the level design here is of a much higher quality than the NSMB games have been. Its hard to point to a direct "thing" that makes this game so much better than its previous entries, but you can just feel it when playing the game. Each level feels so... fluid and complete. The secrets are well hidden, but never cheaply so, the difficulty curve is superb, and the throwbacks to older Mario games are exciting, and never really feel phoned in. It took no effort to play this game to absolute completion in the story mode (5 Stars on your profile), and even having done that, I'm still going back for the excellent Challenges. And oh man, the Challenges are fantastic. If you have played a lot of Mario, and want to see just how crazy you can get with his mechanics, this Challenge mode is for you.

So, yeah, I very much enjoyed this game. This is the best "New" Mario game by far, and even surpassed 3D Land and Galaxy for me. I can't wait to play New Super Luigi U.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Fragems wrote:I know by many peoples standards I have not beaten the game

You did not beat that game.

That said, sometimes you just have to Youtube the end and walk away, I understand. I adore Japanese game design, but if there's one typical problem that said designers often have, it's that they totally screw up the last boss. Often a Japanese designed game's last boss is on an order of magnitude ten times harder than anything else in the game. Or it has multiple forms with the final form being unbelievably cheap. Or it has random cutscene quick time events that kill you with one hit, etc. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, but it does get old dealing with completely ridiculous last bosses in many Japanese games.

-

Got one to add to my list...

1. Devil's Attorney (Android)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360)
3. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (360)
If you're looking for a great modern kart racer that isn't Mario Kart, you only really have one option. And that option is Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, which holds its own against even Mario Kart 8. This game's coolest feature is its ability for karts to transform from ground to air to water based vehicles seamlessly in real time. Now perhaps Transformed stole that idea from Mario Kart 7, but when the gimmick is pulled off this well we can ignore that. With brilliant graphics and a higher energy OST, Transformed keeps you pumped as you tear through its crazy cool courses. My only big complaint with this game is it does have rubber band AI, and their speed can often times defy the laws of physics placed upon the player. Outside that one pervasive annoyance, everything else comes together in spectacular fashion making Transformed an All-Star indeed.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
tenderbrew

Post by tenderbrew »

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (200%)

One of the best platformers that I have ever played. My first time through I thought "maybe someday I'll come back and try for everything" and before I knew it, 12 hours later I was already waist-deep in challenges. Took me about three or four 10 hour sessions to completely master the game and get everything. All-in-all about 60 hours and totally worth it. I would highly recommend it to anybody that likes platformers and I truly believe this is far and away the best DKC game in the series.

Next game: Xenoblade Chronicles. I wanted to get this in before the sequel comes out. I know it's long (very, very long), but so far I've liked what I've seen (2-3 hours in).
Attachments
DKCTP.JPG
DKCTP.JPG (125.03 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Technically there are 5 endings to Drakengard 3 I beat four of them and the 5th features mechanics that appear nowhere else in the game. Honestly it is more of an interactive cut scene then anything and is designed purely to frustrate the player :P.

Wow I just noticed what others where mentioning about the last two notes in the game there are no audio or visual ques for them in fact there are no ques at all. So if your are playing legitimately you have to play through the first 6:30 minutes of the song 3 times perfectly just to learn the location of the last few notes(since it's insta death if you miss even a single one)... bastards :lol: .
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13

I didn't really like DDoC that much, but i can see how it has a sort of cult appeal. The Time-Crisis-style combat is quite fun, even though only the handgun is much use, and the silly action movie plot is also enjoyable in a dumb kind of way!

Those driving sections mostly sucked, though, except for one specific stage where you're neither trying to escape, nor chase someone, and instead are navigating an extremely atmospheric forest area which has become covered in a rain of volcanic ash. The graphics aren't always amazing, but later on there are some fantastic weather and smoke effects, which made me look at my Wii in a new light. Finishing the story mode on normal unlocked some artwork, a cutscene viewer, and other bits and pieces, mostly text files about stuff in the game.

It wasn't particularly difficult, and most of the challenge came from either the motion controls not registering properly during QTEs (i really fucking hate QTEs), or from the shitty driving stages (poor physics, instant deaths with a loading screen and short but unskippable cutscene before you can restart every fucking time).

The game's style was reasonably consistent, and portrayed the various crises pretty well, however it seems that the game was designed before the time when Monolith were competent enough to give a game decent pacing. Some of those stages, although probably actually short, often felt like they were really dragging. I definitely won't be revisiting it any time soon, but am glad that i experienced the campaign from beginning to end.

Now, onto either Metroid Prime 3, or Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies...
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I said I wasn't going to, but I went back and played through all of the stunt levels on Distance. They were actually kind of fun, but in much need of a better scoring system. As it stands, you get points for flips, twists, and wall rides, but I think you should also be rewarded at a minimum for ramp transfers, combo chains, and perfect landings. I executed some brilliant stunts that were fun for their own sake, but not rewarded by the game's own point system. Still, I am glad I played through these levels because they were uniquely designed for stunts and allowed for some insane tricks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm going to plop in my list that I'm keeping up over at Talking Time.

January

1) Rollergames
2) Bayou Billy
3) Whomp 'Em
4) Love+ (repeat, B-)
5) Love+ (repeat, B)
6) Zen: Intergalactic Ninja
7) Battletoads & Double Dragon
8 ) Battletoads (repeat, first time with Game Genie, this time using save states, nowhere near legit win... but it was "beaten")
9) Battletoads (repeat, legit, no Game Genie, no continues, no save states!)
10) Rockin' Kats
11) The Little Mermaid
12) Tiny Toons Adventures
13) Tiny Toons Adventures 2
14) Code Name: Viper

Code Name: Viper is a pretty decent Rolling Thunder clone, and solid Capcom stuff. Yes, I'm on a heavy NES kick. I'm mining the catalog for games that I've never really finished or just kinda passed over... or games that frustrated me, like Battletoads or Bayou Billy. Don't look for me to go at Treasure Master, though... about the only good thing about that game is the music, thanks to Tim Follin.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Drakengard 3 sounds terrible, based on your description of the final moments.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry