Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I don't consider Pinocchio some lost gem of a Disney game. It's certainly not bad, but it's questionable at times in its design. I'd feel much more comfortable recommending folks the likes of Aladdin or The Lion King or even Bonkers if they want to check out one of the Disney platformers. But if you get through all of those...well...Pinocchio is still there for those who crave a final bit of Disney magic.

I think these are underrated Disney platformers:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I can agree with you on Magical Quest 3. I loved Magical Quest and The Great Circus Mystery. I have never played Pocahontas for the Genesis though, so I don't have any opinion on it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
9/11: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC/GBC)
10/22: Splatoon (WiiU)

Finally finished Splatoon's story mode though I've still got a lot of the Amiibo content to go through. Splatoon is first genuinely new IP I have seriously gotten into since the 90's. My geek room is a curated love letter to things like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Dragonball - the classic staples of my childhood.

For some reason, after the late 90's my tastes kind of froze in place and there weren't any new IPs that came to market and grabbed my attention. That isn't to say that there haven't been some great additions to gaming, of course. Just none that really spoke to me.

Splatoon has changed that, though. Splatoon is a game that completely breaks my notion of what the shooter genre has to be. The violence of the shooter genre generally turns me off as it seems like gore for the sake of gore but that's not really an issue with Splatoon. The comic results of splattering your opponents with brightly colored ink is a perfect blend of the mechanics of a modern gaming genre with the cartoonish sensibilities of classic 80's and 90's gaming.

The music is also fantastic. It's all weird and over-the-top but the beat and energy of the songs really influence the pace of each match. The moment the final minute music kicks in, you can feel the other players becoming more frantic which is impressive since there is no built in voice chat.

I really hope that Nintendo continues to make the most of Splatoon - the characters and setting could lend themselves so well to so many types of games.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Splatoon has been amazingly successful for a new IP on an underperforming console, so I'd expect to see more from the franchise.
Flake

Post by Flake »

alienjesus wrote:Splatoon has been amazingly successful for a new IP on an underperforming console, so I'd expect to see more from the franchise.

I hate that the WiiU is not further along in its install-base. It is such a fantastic game system with great software and a really comfortable UI. I wish that Nintendo had made some better marketing choices back in 2012. The WiiU will probably be remembered as a failure like the Gamecube and that just feels so unfair given how much I enjoy it. It still hasn't unseated the Wii as my favorite Nintendo console but it's a close enough second as to make no difference.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Flake wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Splatoon has been amazingly successful for a new IP on an underperforming console, so I'd expect to see more from the franchise.

I hate that the WiiU is not further along in its install-base. It is such a fantastic game system with great software and a really comfortable UI. I wish that Nintendo had made some better marketing choices back in 2012. The WiiU will probably be remembered as a failure like the Gamecube and that just feels so unfair given how much I enjoy it. It still hasn't unseated the Wii as my favorite Nintendo console but it's a close enough second as to make no difference.

I love it too. I'm glad I have one now, as I think a lot of these games will be mega pricy in years to come. Low(ish) print runs of Nintendo 1st party titles and niche exclusives (or close enough) by 3rd parties like Rodea, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2? Sounds like a recipe for expensive prices down the line.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)
14. Pokemon Soul Silver - Nintendo DS (April 2)
15. Pokemon White 2 - Nintendo DS (April 14)
16. Pokemon X - Nintendo 3DS (April 30)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Xbox One (May 3)
18. Pokemon Shuffle - Nintendo 3DS (May 12)
19. Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain - PC / iPhone (May 17)
20. Splatoon - Wii U (June 7)
21. Fallout Shelter - iOS (June 21)
22. Phantasy Star Online Episode II - GameCube (August 24)
22. Resident Evil 4 - Wii (August 31)
23. Earthbound - Wii U Virtual Console (September 7)
24. Legend of Zelda - Wii U Virtual Console (September 21)
25. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer. - Nintendo 3DS (September 30)
26. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Nintendo 3DS (October 15)
27. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - Xbox One (October 19)
28. The Walking Dead: Season 1 - Xbox One (October 21)
29. The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Xbox One (October 21)

I figured I would play through the first game, since it was free. Then I got hooked by how awesome this story was and the gameplay mechanics, so I bought season 2, too. The games dialogue choices and actions taken strangely reminded me of the first Knights of the Old Republic game, minus the clear light side / dark side actions. Everything felt a little more ambiguous, gritty, and difficult. I really enjoyed some of the different scenarios that could play out, and the characters were believable and relatable. The tension never seemed to subside, in either games. I know I might be late to the party, but did any of you also enjoy this series?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Blu wrote:I figured I would play through the first game, since it was free. Then I got hooked by how awesome this story was and the gameplay mechanics, so I bought season 2, too. The games dialogue choices and actions taken strangely reminded me of the first Knights of the Old Republic game, minus the clear light side / dark side actions. Everything felt a little more ambiguous, gritty, and difficult. I really enjoyed some of the different scenarios that could play out, and the characters were believable and relatable. The tension never seemed to subside, in either games. I know I might be late to the party, but did any of you also enjoy this series?

I definitely liked Season 1 more than 2. But 2 was still good.

The Wolf Among Us was better than both, though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)
20. Lego Jurassic Park (PC)
21. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (PC)
22. Cities Skylines (PC)
23. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)
24. Her Story (PC)
25. Hearthstone: Curse Of Naxxramus (PC)
26. Half-Life 2 (PC)
27. 9:05 (PC)
28. Mercenary Kings (PC)
29. Iron Brigade (PC)

beat Iron Brigade with the homies. We started playing it months ago, but quit thanks to horrible server issues. Picked it back up a couple weeks ago following a patch. It's mostly better performance-wise, but still not perfect. Anyway, Iron Brigade is a third person shooter where you stand in big mech things and shoot alien thingies. They come in waves, and it's basically tower defense. It's fun if repetitive, and thankfully isn't overly long. It also has a sort of cheap feel to it, but not in a necessarily bad way. What it reminds me of the most is the Earth Defense Force series. It's nothing groundbreaking or even particularly great, but it's fun enough for a group to run through.
KayJay
24-bit

Post by KayJay »

Whew, haven't posted here in awhile. Might as well do my latest games.

I beat The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion. did all 5 side stories, the Main Quest, and most of the little side-quests in the game. All in all, I clocked in at 150 hours, and I regret nothing. :D It's an amazing game, and I highly recommend it. 9.5/10.

Tales of Xillia...

...eh...After playing Vesperia and Symphonia, this was a big downgrade. The Graphics aren't improved much from Vesperia, and the plot feels recycled from Symphonia. Also, the characters, which are usually the best part of these games, were disappointing this time around. The gameplay is improved slightly, however. I give the game a 6.5/10.
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)