Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:Nintendo publishes a lot of Kirby because it's Iwata's favorite franchise. He has been involved with the series since the very first game on Game Boy.

I don't even think there is really that much of it. I mean some of these long-running Nintendo franchises have quite a few games.

Metroid has 11, The Legend of Zelda has 17(not including spin-offs), Kirby has 14(and 3 remakes, along with multiple spin-offs), Star Fox has 6, F-Zero has 8(including arcade, not including the expansion), Donkey Kong has 13(just on home consoles. This does not include arcade games or handheld games).

Heck, I don't even want to think about the number of games they have put out with Mario in the title.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Beaten:

1. Ys III - Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Hyperstone Heist (Genesis via EDMD) NEW

Re-beaten:

1. Super Mario All-Stars + World (SNES via PowerPak) NEW
2. Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis) NEW

TMNT Hyperstone Heist: I finally got myself a Genesis flash cart, I've been wanting one for years now. I've been itching to play Hyperstone Heist for an even longer period of time.

It's impossible not to compare this game to Turtles in Time. I liked Hyperstone Heist just fine, but I was a little disappointed in a few areas. Mostly the length of the game. Hyperstone Heist has just 5 levels, and although they're all a decent length, Turtles in Time has 10 levels (and consequently more bosses as well).

I knew going in that you can't throw enemies at the screen, but that you still could grab foot soldiers by the arm and slam them back and forth. However, that move is hard to pull off. In Turtles in Time, you can just about do it whenever you feel like it (it's a great move to clear out enemies if your becoming surrounded). In Hyperstone Heist, it just seems to happen sometimes if you're close to an enemy and mash the A button.

Speaking about throwing enemies at the screen, Hyperstone Heist had a lack of special effects compared to Turtles in Time. Overall, the game appears to be rather bland by comparison. Also, Turtles in Time had some extra game modes. A time trial and a versus mode. Not that I ever play them, but Hyperstone Heist just has a lack of content compared to Turtles in Time.

Taking a step back though, Hyperstone Heist is a solid beat em up. It's been a while since I've played TMNT 2 or 3 on the NES, but Hyperston Heist feels like a solid 16-bit improvement on those titles. Definitely a lot of fun. And I'd love to play through the game with a second player next time I get the chance.

Super Mario All Stars + World: I've owned Super Mario All Stars (without World) since back when, and it has always been one of my most cherished SNES carts. But for some damn reason, it drops my saves every once in a while for no apparent reason. I always wanted to 100% all four save slots for each game. But since I lose the saves from time to time, I gave up on that. But now that I have a flash cart, where the saves are stored on a memory card and less likely to be lost, I decided to put All Stars + World on it.

I'm not sure how many people know this: In SMW, if you only have one controller plugged into the SNES and select a two player game, you can control both characters. The game will alternate between Mario and Luigi like it normally does, but you can control them both with just one controller. For years now, whenever I replay SMW, I select two player. I have them take different paths.

What I never knew until a few years ago is that Nintendo made some changes to the SMW that's included in All Stars + World. They made a proper Luigi sprite (originally he was identical to the Mario sprite only with Luigi colors). They made Luigi actually look like Luigi, and all of his animations are different too. Playing through SMW more times than I could possible know, it was really fresh playing through the game with the new Luigi. For some reason it made the game really enjoyable for me.

So I beat SMW, and mjmjr25 was having his Super Mario Weekend, so I figured I'd go ahead and beat the other games included with All Stars. It's been a while since I played any of them. I used the shortest routes (warp zones) to play through SMB1 and 2, I skipped The Lost Levels, and I played through every level in SMB3.

If I was only able to have one SNES cart, it would have to be All Stars + World.
Last edited by Ziggy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I don't even think there is really that much of it.

I disagree. There's 14 main Kirby games, 9 spin off games, 3 remakes, 1 compilation, and all his games are released on all the eShop platforms. Iwata please! (All of that and where is F-Zero nowadays? Not on DS, not on Wii, not on 3DS, not on Wii U. But there's multiple Kirby games on all those platforms.) Keep in mind Kirby has only been around since 1992. A lot of the other series you cited have been around significantly longer and therefore have had more time for releases.

I'm not saying I don't like Kirby. I'm not saying we shouldn't keep getting new Kirby games. I'm just saying Iwata reallllly likes Kirby. He even came off as sentimental when first talking about Dream Collection on Nintendo Direct and used a Kirby sprite as a design in an AC: New Leaf demonstration.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Quake (PC)

I can not believe how good Quake is even in 2015. Wow. The pacing. The levels. The guns. The atmosphere. The music. Just wow.

I was a fan of (freeware versions of) Wolf3d and Doom growing up, but this is such a massive step up to me.

But most importantly, this is the first FPS I have ever beaten using keyboard and mouse. I am a golden god.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Sarge wrote:You can never have too much Kirby. :)

I'm pretty sure you can get diabetes from too much Kirby. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) *
9. Deadpool(PS3)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)
13. Fuse(360)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)
19. Harvester(PC)

Harvester

All I can say is holy shit this is the most messed up game I have ever played. Seriously this is probably the most brutal game I have ever played and I feel almost physically sick after blowing through it in one day. The whole game centers around extreme violence, and how people can become desensitized when exposed to enough of it. There is no "good" way to play all the choices are fucked up to the extreme. If there was ever a game that was designed to "breed serial killers" this game would be it.

It quite literally eases you into murder through the course of the game. The first half of the game you are just doing small things like you would expect from an adventure game, but violence occurs all around you and all the people are just off. The game then starts to slowly push you to break societies rules first committing petty stuff like vandalism, and theft to progress the story. However it then ramps up to arson, manslaughter, and finally a lot of really brutal murder mixed with some torture and execution. Hell they even ease you into killing humans by first throwing monsters at you.

That being said the ending wrapped up everything really well and the designers are freaking genius in their execution of the game. However maybe they did their job a little to well. The whole game seems to kind of preach anti violence but it does so by flooding you with probably the most extreme violence I have ever seen in a game. Even with the pixelated graphics I'm still kind of disturbed by the shit I saw and pushed myself to do in order to finish this game.

Overall I can't really recommend this game at all. It is brilliant in a sense, but the violence is just to freaking much. After finishing the game I'm a little disgusted that I have finished it. Really the game was a psychological joy ride and not necessarily a fun one.

The ending to this game fits perfectly though.
It's revealed that the whole time the characters have been in a virtual reality designed to breed serial killers. The game ends with two choices marry your female companion(who is also a real person) and live in the virtual reality or beat her to death and join the brotherhood of serial killers in reality. If you choose to marry her they unplug you in the real world but since time is faster in the simulation you get to spend what seems like a lifetime in the screwed up VR world with her. If you kill her which is really brutal(you literally beat her repeatedly with a bat then rip her spine out) then you wake up and join the brotherhood. The brotherhood ending seems to be the "true" ending to the game since it then gets even weirder. You see the character hitchhiking on the road and then killing the first person who picks him up. However it then reveals that that isn't actually reality either the main character is literally playing Harvester on a PC and his mom comes in bitching about the violence :lol: .
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

noiseredux wrote:But most importantly, this is the first FPS I have ever beaten using keyboard and mouse. I am a golden god.

We'll turn you into a proper PC game player yet. :wink:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:I don't even think there is really that much of it.

I disagree. There's 14 main Kirby games, 9 spin off games, 3 remakes, 1 compilation, and all his games are released on all the eShop platforms. Iwata please! (All of that and where is F-Zero nowadays? Not on DS, not on Wii, not on 3DS, not on Wii U. But there's multiple Kirby games on all those platforms.) Keep in mind Kirby has only been around since 1992. A lot of the other series you cited have been around significantly longer and therefore have had more time for releases.

F-Zero hasn't been used since 2004 on the Game Boy Advance. I think they actually forgot the franchise.

Still though, that's 27 games in all for Kirby in 23 years. In 29 years, The Legend of Zelda has had 38 games come out(17 main games, 14 spin offs, 7 remakes). Sure, there may be a lot of Kirby games, but it's not that unique to Kirby for Nintendo to do this. Hell, there are 24 Mario Sports games, 11 Mario Kart games(in addition to 3 F1 racers Mario appears in, 1 LCD Mario racing game, and 1 Excitebike remake with Mario), 10 Mario educational games, 14 Mario Party games(including 1 e-reader game), and 9 Mario RPGs, among the ridiculously numerous other Mario games put out.

And a lot of companies do this with their mascots or flagship titles. Resident Evil has 25 games in 19 years. Silent Hill has 16 games(including mobile games) in 16 years. God only knows how many Dynasty Warriors or Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, expansions, and spin-offs Koei has put out. And Mega Man is...well, it just is.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

noiseredux wrote:But most importantly, this is the first FPS I have ever beaten using keyboard and mouse. I am a golden god.

So the big question is, whether you think this will be your preferred method of control for PC FPS moving forward? The first time I tried keyboard and mouse for FPS I felt like I needed to do it to be 'legit'. I came to PC gaming from the console world, so controllers were my thing. But after I tried KB+M there was no going back. Aside from occasionally fat fingering directional movement, it's just so much more quick and responsive. I can't imagine playing FPS any other way now (including some of my console favorites! =O).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I agree that keyboard and mouse is the superior FPS control. As far as FPS goes I came from the keyboard and mouse background first. But I don't think gamepad FPS control is utterly terrible, I'm totally fine with it too. I feel like I'm a weirdo in this regard because everyone seems so polarized about the issue.

And Ack I don't think it's fair to compare Kirby releases to Zelda and Mario. Zelda and Mario came years earlier and had much stronger roots to grow on than Iwata's favorite pink fluff ball.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.