Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

I disagree with every thing you have said in that post. Rogue Leader was amazing; it was Rogue Squadren III where they dropped the ball with too many non-fighter parts. I've still got my all gold file on my save; the only mission that sucked to pull that off on was Endurance simply because of how goddamn long it took and the general need to do a lot of abuse of your astromech repair. Everything else just took some practice and fancy flying.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

MrPopo wrote:I disagree with every thing you have said in that post.

I agree with MrPopo's disagreement. The game is amazing, and way better than the first or third game.

That said, I haven't played it in years. I will fire it up again soon.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I disagree with every thing you have said in that post.

I agree with MrPopo's disagreement. The game is amazing, and way better than the first or third game.

That said, I haven't played it in years. I will fire it up again soon.

Yeah, I have to agree with PoPo and Ds. I liked all 3 games, but Rogue Leader is definitely the best.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Triple Quadruple disagree. I think time might have clouded you memories on Rogue Squadron as well, it had some awful difficulty spikes. Rogue Leader is tough but fair, like a Russian policeman.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

the guys above wrote:Rogue Leader is a good game you're crazy in your crazy place.

Don't just take my dissent for it guys. Here are some quotes from gaming media during the time of release, pulled from Metacritic archives:
At times, Rogue Leader is mind-bogglingly repetitive and frustrating -Voodoo Extreme

Rogue Leader can be a little simplistic and the learning curve is insane some levels are frighteningly difficult and unfair. -Games Radar

The controls and general feel of the game are very shallow. At no point did I feel like I was in a truly 3D environment, and I never felt like I was actually cruising around in space. -GameShark

At some points, it exceeds the word challenging and becomes insanely difficult, even for the most experienced gamers. -Cloudchaser

The game does get insanely difficult near the end. -Next Generation Magazine

There are a few issues with a still unpolished camera scheme and unrefined ship physics. -IGN

The game has nothing new, nothing different, nothing innovative, and nothing that changes the gameplay from original except the targeting computer, which you are penalized for using!! -Nintendophiles

This is a hard game, and it will take you a lot of time to complete -GameCube Europe

It's bloody hard in places -Eurogamer

Replay value and game length should not and can not be interpreted from how many times it takes you to get through a mission because of the insane difficulty level. By the last few missions you are literally ready to tear your hair out. -GamePen

It's still an arcade shooter that lacks the depth of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series. -Total Video games

I can understand being enamored with Rogue Leader during the time of its release due to its sheer spectacle alone. But even in 2001 much better space shooting sims had come before it in a game design / game play aspect, even within its own franchise. Colony Wars and Wing Commander blew this game out of the stars insofar as actual good game design is concerned, years prior. I'm calling a spade a spade here.

We can agree to disagree though guys, that's fine with me. :lol: I encourage you all to go back and play the thing from scratch and have yourselves a swell ol' time. I will give Rogue Leader credit as the hardest GameCube game I've personally beaten. It takes the crown for that over when I beat F-Zero GX or Viewtiful Joe (on Adults difficulty). But those two were actual great games that I enjoyed, unlike this naked Palpatine.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote: Here are some quotes from gaming media during the time of release, pulled from Metacritic archives

Selected quotes aside, Metacritic's score for the game is a 90. Of the 45 reviews, only 14 gave it less than a 90. Only 2 gave it less than an 80. That's what they call "universal acclaim".

I didn't think the game was that hard *shrug*.

I'll add that it is the 22nd highest-ranked GCN game on the site...and one of only a few highly ranked ones that isn't a Nintendo-made game or an annual sports title. Gamerankings shows very similar stats with 75 reviews..
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:
the guys above wrote:
We can agree to disagree though guys, that's fine with me. :lol: I encourage you all to go back and play the thing from scratch and have yourselves a swell ol' time. I will give Rogue Leader credit as the hardest GameCube game I've personally beaten. It takes the crown for that over when I beat F-Zero GX or Viewtiful Joe (on Adults difficulty). But those two were actual great games that I enjoyed, unlike this naked Palpatine.

I didn't play Rogue Leader til well into the 7th generation of consoles, so it's not early gen hype that made me like it.

It's also not even close to being as hard as F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe, two games I've also beaten.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Metacritic's score for the game is a 90. Of the 45 reviews, only 14 gave it less than a 90. Only 2 gave it less than an 80. That's what they call "universal acclaim".

Popular opinion has never been popular with me.
alienjesus wrote:It's also not even close to being as hard as F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe, two games I've also beaten.

Maybe it isn't as hard, but it at least felt harder because I was not enjoying myself.

I do enjoy Star Wars as a franchise, and I've beaten and enjoyed many Star Wars games, but this one just didn't do it for me. I'll try the third game out sooner or later though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Metacritic's score for the game is a 90. Of the 45 reviews, only 14 gave it less than a 90. Only 2 gave it less than an 80. That's what they call "universal acclaim".

Popular opinion has never been popular with me.

You are the one who brought Metacritic into it and couched the site as a place where one might find "dissent" from the prevailing view about the game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:You are the one who brought Metacritic into it and couched the site as a place where one might find "dissent" from the prevailing view about the game.

Yes, to display individual opinions represented as quotes. That's what I did. Not to show a mass score and say the whole world loves it so it must be good. That's what you did.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.