Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by J T »

A Wolf Among Us (01/03/15)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (All courses S ranked on 01/08/15)

I added this to my list last year after getting at least A ranks on all courses, but this year I bumped that up to S ranks on every course, which means I rank in the top 5% on the global leaderboards for every course. At time of posting, I stand at an overall rank of 759 out of 389,039 players. :mrgreen: I think this is the first time I've ever stood at a higher rank than DocHauser at anything on Steam. Maybe with enough practice, one of these days I will even topple one of his shmup ranks! :wink:

This has been an enjoyable game. Whether you are playing for high score, speed runs, or trying to eat up the longest ghost combo, the gameplay is always fun and intrinsically satisfying. I love the ghost combo levels the most because after being chased by ghosts forever, I get such a strong sense of gratification from picking up a power pill, turning around, and gobbling down the string of ghosts that have been on my tail. I once managed to eat a stream of ghosts in the triple digits on a chain of power pills. That was an awesome moment. Though I do love art games or storylines, it's so nice to turn to an arcade smasher like Pac-Man to just enjoy the simple love of the game itself.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2

I've owned this game since release and finally got around to beating it. Front Mission as a series is utterly brutal on you if you don't do well because the vast majority of your exp/money comes from the main missions. However, one of the mechanics is you first get money for each enemy killed and then lose money for repairs, which can be quite extensive. If you finish a mission by the skin of your teeth you will earn very little money, which leaves you unable to purchase new parts and less likely to be able to do any better on the next mission.

That's the point I'd gotten to the last time I tried to play through the game. This time, however, I understood the link system better and was able to make a strong showing throughout the game. Then I unlocked the Minotaur arms and Darril's half of the storyline became easy mode, while Elsa's half consisted of some awesome link action and the overall higher flexibility her team has (her team gets all the special backpacks, while Darril's team is just "shoot all the things dead").

It's interesting when you compare this to Front Mission 3, which I've finished Emma's campaign in. Front Mission 3 has a longer campaign than 4 for just one path, and there's two paths. But the general design is that FM3 consists of a lot of short missions since you can only have four wanzers on your side and there are not many enemies on small levels. The opening "escape the facility" on Emma's scenario is 4ish battles, while the same mission would be a single battle on FM4. I think I like the larger missions for FM4 since it lets you engage in more things like divide and conquer or taking alternate paths to avoid a chokepoint. And the link system involves a lot more importance on positioning and how you take your turns. The skill system of FM3 consisted of stacking 6 of Zoom I/Rapid Fire I and going to town. If you want to pump out tons of damage in FM4 you need to figure out how to do links well. When you do figure it out, though, it's quite awesome.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:If you want to pump out tons of damage in FM4 you need to figure out how to do links well. When you do figure it out, though, it's quite awesome.

Yep, in FM4 you link like a boss or you die on the battlefield.

Personally the Front Mission series is my favorite SRPG franchise. Glad to see you enjoyed this entry! I've personally beaten FM (DS version), FM:GH, FM3, and FM4. I'm planning on tackling FM5 sometime this year (so happy with that fan trans). As far as overall difficulty is concerned, FM4 is the hardest. In FM (DS) the OCU campaign isn't too hard, but the USN campaign can be tough at times. But I thought FM3 was mostly a cakewalk - though highly entertaining.

Such an underrated, under appreciated series in the West.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Popo, did you start these games in 2014 are you putting in 5-6 hours a day? :shock:
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Popo, did you start these games in 2014 are you putting in 5-6 hours a day? :shock:

Popo does not drink, does not smoke, does not make love. What do you do, Popo?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

plays with kittehs
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:What do you do, Popo?
He beats a lot of chest hair inducing hardcore assed games. 8)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

TSTR wrote:plays with kittehs

Yes, kittehs.

I'm single and spend my nights video gaming. I'm basically living how I dreamed my life would be as a kid.

Personally the Front Mission series is my favorite SRPG franchise. Glad to see you enjoyed this entry! I've personally beaten FM (DS version), FM:GH, FM3, and FM4. I'm planning on tackling FM5 sometime this year (so happy with that fan trans). As far as overall difficulty is concerned, FM4 is the hardest. In FM (DS) the OCU campaign isn't too hard, but the USN campaign can be tough at times. But I thought FM3 was mostly a cakewalk - though highly entertaining.

I started with a translation of FM on ZSNES, then grabbed FM3 and 4 and later found out about Gun Hazard. I've got FM5 with the patch applied to play later. I think what makes FM4 hard is that it takes work to get your squad in a crazy awesome state. FM1 you just don't want to deploy a full squad every mission due to how the experience scaling works (and it's weird how the game gives you far more squad members than you can deploy considering no permadeath and not a lot to differentiate members). FM3 once you realize that skill chains are where it's at and Ryogo starts with the parts that teach the best skills you just make sure you learn those skills and your party members become walking death machines.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Maybe someday Front Mission 2 will be fully patch-ably translated in English, along with Front Mission Alternative, Front Mission 2089, and Front Mission 2089-II. Because a camel's ass if SQEX is gonna ever do it.

MrPopo do you like mech games in general or just the FM series?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Definitely a fan of mech games. I've got all the MechWarriors, MechCommanders, and I've played Armor Core 4 and For Answer (have 5 but haven't played it yet). I've also got Steel Battalion which I've gotten a couple missions into.